• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

FM 1174, Texas

Reaction score
What: This short bit of fun has is a nice offshoot of FM 1431. The southernmost portion has a little pass which, when approached from the north, presents a bit of a moto-challenge: look through the turn as you drop down and to the right, or look up and enjoy an expansive view of hill country.

FM1174snap.jpg

From the pass to the town of Bertram is pleasant rolling countryside, albeit fairly straight. A nice side road off of 1174, which also winds up in Bertram, goes through the wide spot in the road of Oatmeal. It just seems like a town with a name like Oatmeal should be visited at least once.

North of Bertram, 1174 is a more of a pleasant thing that hooks up with 963 over to 2340 (which is part of a very nice route in Ride Texas' Ride Guide).

This is not the twistiest road in Texas by any means, but it's one of my favorite short runs, mainly due to the wonderful view of Hill Country crossing the pass towards 1431.

Roll the vid, Bubba. Sorry about the quality of the southbound pass; it needs to be filmed in the morning:
Windows Media Player 9 (software)
QuickTime 6.3 (QT software)

Where: FM 1174 starts on FM 1431 about 10 or 12 miles east of Marble Falls, and proceeds north through Bertram.

FM1174map.gif

I like the music. I have that cd. Or is it an album, I don't remember. I think it is there first effort together that I have on Album of.

Just curious how many people out there know who that is?

Hey!

Lay off telling everybody about my favorite roads, okay? Next thing you know, it'll be LCR all over again.

Seriously though, that's a great run. As TSBA rides tend to end in Marble Falls, that was my way home via 29 to Taylor...

Fun,

Daryl

:tab Sounds like Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits) and Chet Atkins (been around forever!). They did a lot of stuff together in the 90's I think. Most of it is real good. I have a few of Chet Atkin's albums from the early 90's, love em. Which is this from?

:tab Paul, did you do something different on the video this time out? Normally you see more of the road and it does not virbate as much? I noticed when you turned off of 1431 you were getting on it pretty hard :-P Now quit telling everyone what a putt-putter you are!

:tab I can't wait for it to get nicer more often. Hopefully you will fill up this forum with your content! Great stuff. Keep it coming!

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
:tab Sounds like Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits) and Chet Atkins (been around forever!)...Which is this from?

Well-spotted, guys. It's from Neck and Neck. I love Knopfler's sound, and Atkins is a hoot, rest his soul. I figured, it's a country road, how about a nice country song???

Paul, did you do something different on the video this time out? Normally you see more of the road and it does not virbate as much?

Yeah, I wasn't really happy with the way the vid turned out, to be honest. I wanted to get the top portion of the tach, but all I got was a dark bar along the bottom. Also, I thought the anti-jitter thingamajiggie was turned off, but it wasn't. Maybe I just need to adjust my front suspension or something...? I just thought of something else: the camera was Tango Uniform a few months ago. I had it repaired under my extended warranty, so it's possible that stuff just Isn't The Same.

I noticed when you turned off of 1431 you were getting on it pretty hard :-P Now quit telling everyone what a putt-putter you are!

Hey, I never said I don't like to get to (around) the speed limit quickly. :angel: Actually, coming southbound over the pass was about the quickest I've ever done it, and the downhill section was, er, swift. The camera, though, doesn't really show that, though.

I can't wait for it to get nicer more often. Hopefully you will fill up this forum with your content! Great stuff. Keep it coming!

That's the plan. :-) Uberhawk mentioned 29 to Taylor. I might have to work up a vid of the portion west of G'town to 95 (with his permission ;-) ). Or just do this one again... :roll:

It a nicely built suction-cup'd affair from Lockhart-Philips:

212.jpg

Mine is slightly more articulated than this (front arms are 2 pieces, like the back arms, above).

I kinda like it, but will, someday, get a bullet camera for more artsy shots...

Hey Buck. Just viewed your vids for the first time. Outstanding.
I've gotta say thanks. Being between bikes is a total b!#(h. Viewing these has given me a taste. Thank you.

Back