• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Aftermarket fairing sets???

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with these aftermarket abs fairing sets coming from Hong Kong and China? A complete set for my '03 VFR is about the same price as just one OEM Honda fairing! I'm interested in learning about the similarity/difference in plastic density, fit, paint quality, clear coat, etc. Thanks.

Was hoping Airtech made a set but they quit with the `01 model so far, and that is different than your `03.

My experience with these comes from research only, so I can tell you what I decided... When I bought my ThunderAce most - if not all of the panels - had some type of damage on them. I wanted the bike to be "like new", but I'm also a cheap *** - so I looked into the aftermarket parts. As you have noted, they are WAY less expensive than the factory parts. I found people on the ThunderAce forums that had tried the aftermarket parts and ALL of them reported problems with fit. The finish was OK, but getting the parts on the bike was a major pain in the behind. The ones for the ThunderAce did not come with the mounting tabs and it appeared the same was true for the other aftermarket versions as well. Because I was looking for "bolt on" parts I elected to go factory. Luckily, I was able to purchase all of the items I needed from Yamaha - but on one fairing I did get the 2nd to the last one left in existence! The cost for all of the panels was right at $1800 from Yamaha, but in the end I felt it was worth it. The bike is special to me because of its rarity, so restoring it to factory was more important than the cost.

a roundabout answer to your Q would be to suggest you look at the HELMET TEST, above

the CHINESE HELMET DIDN'T FAIR SO WELL!!!

i guess THE QUESTION is... are you going for looks or protection?

JMHO

sw

I've never purchased any but know some that have and the general consensus is you get what you pay for. I've seen some where the paint was actually pretty good(not quite factory quality) whereas another looked like the surface of the moon. They all have alignment issues and the mounting tabs break easily. The tank covers have a tendency to crack if they fit at all. Lastly, shipping and/or packaging seems to be a problem as several arrive damaged. I haven't heard of anyone not getting a replacement but it can be a hassle.

You probably have thought of it already, but what about finding one in the correct year that has a blown engine/transmission, take what you need and sell the rest?

Basically what has been said. If you don't mind a "looks pretty good from 10ft away" and "was a pain to install" situation, then they aren't an altogether bad option. If you like your bikes to look stock... If I had just picked up a used/rashed-up sportbike and was just looking to get it back on the road on the cheap, I'd totally put on my installation-patience-cap and do it. But you will get what you pay for in appearance, hassle, and durability.

I cannot speak to their fairings, but I've had a Mutazu trunk for 10 years and been happy with it. The hardware was a bit rattly, but I didn't mind tightening it up for a 90% savings over OEM.

I bought a set of Chinese fairings for the Duc and fit and finish were not very good. Paint was not a perfect match to OEM parts so mixing OEM with Chinese would result in mismatched colors. But if you want a cheap set of plastics because you will be doing track days or ride hard enough that throwing it down is a high possibility then the cheap knock-offs will work.
3264x2448xducfinished.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rQUAKuThG-.jpg

I have installed several sets at the owner's insistence.
In the end they paid 80% of what new OEM pre painted stuff would have cost for parts and labor.
They got thin, brittle ABS plastics that had to be modified to fit, finish was just "ok" and the stuff will crack of you look at it strongly. (ok slight exaggeration.. but where OEM you can lean on, accidently run a tie down strap across, take a moderate hit from road debris and get some finish scuff only.. the chinese ABS stuff will crack off taps, mounts or whole pananes in the same force)

Back