• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone around Waco,TX?

Reaction score
Just got my first bike! 2014 XR650L. Have been living through youtube dual sport vids for years til I finaly scraped enough cash together for my big red pig! I love this machine! Already fattened up the mixture, new slip on yadda yadda yadda. Its a beast now!I need someone to ride with tho. Usually hunting for dirt roads on Sundays. I know ive seen a KLR650 in my area, and what looked like another XR650. Really wanting to find a good place to practice off pavement riding, and someone to cruise with. Laters!

Welcome, as a rule I always ride with someone younger.They are able to pick my bike up more often, the old guys just point laugh and take pictures.:mrgreen:

Aloha and a big welcome from Lampasas Texas. Please post pics when you get the chance of the new ride. We do a bunch of riding here at TWT and camping. There are monthly pie runs and meet and greets all over Texas. This month is almost all full but I will try to go for a ride with you after I get un-busy. Do not know many dirt roads but do have a bike that will do them. There are several members close to you that might chime in later with suggestions. Big gathering of riders on July 13th in Gruene and a camp-out the day before,come join us. KP

I'll PM you after the 4th weekend. I've got a decent 60 minute mix pavement / gravel
loop I regularly ride through falls county. It's a good after work ride and it's my
practice loop.

Then once you get comfortable we'll head to Bosque county for a day trip.

Tons of great roads in Bosque county.

cool thanks, lookin forward to it.Is the DRZ the one you ride on the practice loop?

I live in Woodway, but I don't currently own a dual-sport. :-(

How's the DRZ on the highway? I just got back from an early morning ride before the hung over people wake up and take to the roads.Was nice and cool, left out around 7. Mostly dirt/limestone roads. Found a awesome (to me) route to Axtell area. At some points I was worried I was on some ones ranch land lol. Was worried about gas being out in the middle of nowhere, so I turned around. Checked my route on map quest when I got home and DANG! I should have kept going. Only a few more miles/turns to crooked creek cycle ranch. Never been there. Anyone have any info on crooked creek? I would like to try and update the ride map on this site for riders in my area, not sure how tho.

Crooked creek is a great place to ride just take off your mirrors and leave them at camp

The drz is not really a great highway bike as its too lite but its not bad either as I'm considering riding to my place in Mississippi this fall

The XRL holds a line at top speed well, but I can feel the effect of wind blast on my back wheel the most, kinda unsettling when on coming semi's pass. I dodge the pavement when I can. Just finished the route from my house to crooked creek (no time to go in). 20 miles one way. Mostly limestone rock and asphalt, I would guess 60 dirt 40 bad pavement. Cool scenery though, little to no traffic. This bike seems to love just thumping along, 4th 45 mph or so on the loose stuff. Hill or not it just pulls my big butt wherever I want to go!:rider:
Took a couple of photos, my phone is ancient and has the resolution of a potato. Doesn't really do justice. There is better photo ops on the way, I was just busy riding. :rider: Ill get more next time.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 191
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 182
I was riding down I-35 a few years ago on my Strom , probably running 75 or so. A guy on a new XRL passed me , he has to being doing 85 plus :eek2:

Ive gotten there a few times to pass, get out of the way etc. Feels real sketchy to me. Poor motor just screeeeeaming at you lol. Its just too tall/light/short legged for haulin *** for any length of time.

Ive gotten there a few times to pass, get out of the way etc. Feels real sketchy to me. Poor motor just screeeeeaming at you lol. Its just too tall/light for haulin *** for any length of time.

This guy looked like he was just caddalacking that day :lol2:

I live in Corsicana 50 miles from Waco Ride an 07 KTM SE 950 got lots of gravel dirt around here,Maybe we can get a ride goin one day ..:rider:

heck yeah im down! Sundays are bout the only time I don't have other crap to do. Yall let me know!

I live in Corsicana 50 miles from Waco Ride an 07 KTM SE 950 got lots of gravel dirt around here,Maybe we can get a ride goin one day ..:rider:

Don't hurt him with the roost off that SE:lol2: I remember mine well:ponder:

Fletch, LEt me know when you are ready for more hard core stuff and I will open the gate to Ghost rancho. UlyBrad...AKA...Brad Collins(IXL Riding instructor) teaches out at my place. Not a large place but a varied topography:chug:

Hey Im in Waco!!!

Look forward to riding with you

Don't hurt him with the roost off that SE:lol2: I remember mine well:ponder:

Fletch, LEt me know when you are ready for more hard core stuff and I will open the gate to Ghost rancho. UlyBrad...AKA...Brad Collins(IXL Riding instructor) teaches out at my place. Not a large place but a varied topography:chug:

Sounds great! im an old dude but def a young grasshoppah on dual sport. First bike I learned to ride was my brothers shovelhead:rider: Rigid engine would have your butt itching like crazy lol. I also ride my pops HD some too. I hear XRL's are heavy, feels lite to me;-).

Hey Im in Waco!!!

Look forward to riding with you

Cool. Looks like we got a little group within like 50 miles of Waco. We should def go riding. Im gonna take my loop to crooked creek again Sunday unless something else pops up. Starts out on crest drive by TSTC and ends up at crooked creek. Don't know If ill have the funds to enter but the trip is fun part anyhow. Would be cool to see everyone elses practice loop.:rider:

I'm busy the next few Sundays so here you go

Start at the Hwy 6 exit to Marlin.

Mix of pavement, bad pavement, and gravel.

2 wooden bridges and one short section of dirt that's tricky if wet

On Hacienda Wesley just after the creek there is a blue heeler that is
a lot faster than he looks.

http://tinyurl.com/q4q9b42

Back