• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for a nice route Dallas to Houston

gves2u

Reaction score
The wife and I are planning a ride and looking for a nice route- let me know what you guys think- any maps

Welcome to the site. Once Tourmeister wakes up :yawn: I'm sure he'll be able to provide you with very detailed :rider: directions.

Where specifically will you be starting and ending? How much time will you have to make the ride?

I was up at 10:30am :-P Darn near the crack of dawn!

Thanks for the welcome guys- I will be starting out a DFW Airport at 10:00 am, looking to ride up to 200 miles each day. Total of two days with a max of about of about 4 hours each day, final stop in Cypress Tx.- possibly looking to spend the night in Waco- any info on things to see etc. would also be appreciated. Thanks In Advance-

:tab I would head West on I-20 to Weatherford and then South on FM 51 to Granbury. Once in Granbury, most any of the FM's in any direction are fun rides. FM 4 NW out of Granbury to FM 1189 and then 1188 back SE to US 377 is good. You could tie that into FM's 3106, 2157 and 204 to US 67 and run into Stephenville for lunch. IF you are a Dr. Pepper person, you can always shoot over to Dublin, SW down US 377 and visit the only place where Dr. Pepper is still made with cane sugar. Otherwise, run FM 914 South to 1744 and then to 219. Run 219 basically East. At FM 1238, the run up to Iredell and back to 219 is fun, then just keep on head down 219. You can run all the way to Clifton on Hwy 6. If you get pressed for time, just head over Hwy 6 to any of the FM's and head on down into Waco. If you have some time to kill, then any of the FM's Between Clifton and Gatesville are fun.

:tab Out of Waco, the ride will be a little less curvy. Head East on US 84 to FM 1245 and go South to Groesbeck. From there head South on FM 937. This runs along the edge of a lake and has some fun curves and elevation changes. Head West on Hwy 7 to FM 979 and go South to 2096. Northeast on US 79 to FM 3 and then South to FM 977. Head East on 977 and cross I-45 until you reach FM 1119. Turn South and run this to the OSR. Head SE on OSR into Midway at Hwy 21, then pick up FM 247 South into Huntsville. Stop in Huntsville for Lunch at McKenzie's BBQ on 11th Street. There is a shopping center at Old US 75 and 11th Street. McKenzies is close to the Tractor Supply Co. Good stuff. Head West on 11th ST (also Hwy 30) across I-45 out of town to FM 1791. Turn South on FM 1791 and run this down to FM 149. Hang a left and then run FM 149 South down through the Sam Houston National Forest. At Hwy 105, head East to FM 2854. 2854 starts out heading mostly South and then bends due East. About 2-1/2 miles from that bend will be a blinking light, this will be the Honea-Egypt Rd, turn right and run this down to FM 1488. Cross 1488 and it becomes FM 2978. Head South to FM 2920, it becomes Huffsmith-Kohrville Rd, keep going South to Spring-Cypress Rd. Head West on Spring-Cypress and that will run you right into Cypress.

:tab DFW Airport to Waco (only with Iredell detour) is 288 miles. Waco to Cypress is approx 230 miles. Most all of it is fairly fast stuff where you can run 60-70mph (except FM 51 North of Granbury!).

Tourmeiter- Thanks for the info! I took what you posted and mapped it on the new Yahoo Map program- much appreciated! Im heading to the airport- praying for the rain to stay away- Thanks, Again- George

Sweet ride Tourmeister! Modified the route a little to avoid some rain- never got a drop, the wife even loved it. Turned out to be a total of 486 miles, plan to do it again soon may hit you guys up- Much appreciated!

Good to hear! Glad you had a good time :thumb:

Back