• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Maybe might possibly want a DS bike

LDB

Reaction score
First Name
Leo
I'm 99% certain that I'm 100% window shopping and tire kicking but at least for the immediate future I'm thinking I'd like a basic bike for not all that fast riding on gravel roads, fire roads, basically any road that's a typical city street minus the concrete. I don't want to do motocross or trials riding or through heavy underbrush etc., just basic riding on non-concrete surfaces.

So, in deference to inseam challenges, I'm thinking of something like the DR200S or TW200 or XT250. I'm open to suggestions though and look forward to any and all thoughts on the subject.

I have a 2007 Yamaha XT225 I've been mulling over selling (kind of sort of). I've kind of been on the fence and had it priced pretty high to kind of keep it in high reserve. I was asking 2900 but food for thought here is that I have done a lot of work and added some of the goodies to it already. So far I have already put on the Clark 4 gallon tank, DMO wide footpegs, had to replace the carb due to it sitting (prior owner stuff). I also swapped the ugly fender out for a WR450 UFO fender and I mounted a proper license plate bracket on it. If you wanted to you could still put a rear rack on it and side racks and it should be 100 % functional. I've also upgrade the bars to Tusk High mount ATV bars with Emgo brush/crash gaurds on the bars. I stand about 5" 11" and my reach as gripping the bars is right at 24 inches from my arm pit to the webbed part inside my thumb and forefinger but the leg length on the bike with the stock bars made me feel like a bear riding a moped. It has brand new Kenda K761's in the proper size and aspect ratio and they may have 40 miles on them since I mounted and balanced them so they are mostly tarmac setup and really brand new. Right now I need to final tweak the carb just a bit . I am going to go down a main jet size from where it is. It starts much easier because I also put a larger pilot jet in it but when I replaced the carb the original jet stripped (which is why I had to replace it and then the replacement carb main jet got stuck but I pretty uch boogered it up getting it out so at the time all I had to go back in and test was a 130 (if I remember correctly), but I was able to get it out properly having learned my listen on the first carb, it just destroyed the original jets). After I redid the carb if you dont allow it to warm up completely it just has trouble with throttle blips and is missing a little bit of top end ( think, because it doesn't have a tach. I'm probably going to finish tuning it Friday, while it is still somewhat cool. I've done a few other things with it, just in the context of maintenance, cleaning, etc. Honestly I've been planning on finding some offbeaten trails (or trying to) but right now I think I'd rather have the cash and one less motorcycle taking up space in the garage. It's a great bike, with right around 800 original miles on it and I have all the original parts for it as well (including the old knobbies, which are garbage in my opinion, unless you just want to go fling some mud around). I'll accept a respecetable offer, but keep in mind, that aside from the pannier mounts, panniers, and the rear pack mount, this bike already has most of the major mods done (including a externally adjustable pilot jet screw, if I did my measurements correctly. I will know for certain by the time I finish with it on Friday. I even have a USB/power mount that I was going to mount to it that I'll install if you so choose. Feel free to send me a PM if you are interested, and I have some public picasa pictures of it you can check out at the link below. It was dropped once by one of the previous owners so it has a couple of character marks on the plastics and the impact bar, plus a tear on the seat cover, but it has a nice piece of 100 mph tape on it keeping it from spreading further. If you want a test ride over the weekend, I will be out of town delivering one of my other motorcycles on Saturday, but maybe we can work something out if I get back from Abilene and it's not too late, or maybe on Sunday.

The pictures are from when I first started fiddling with it until I got everyone on except the New handle bars, but they match with a nice anodized blue color and I will take some pictures tomorrow evening when I get home and have time to add them to the album.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100230867437151137643/YamahaXT225Serow02

Let me know something if you might be interested. I'm not trying to get rich off the bike, but I know the value of all the components and work I have put into it, and with it being so low miles it's really got a lot of life left to give someone who will want to use it regularly.

That's a nice looking bike. I saw your photos sometime in the last few days from a link in another thread somewhere. I'm probably a ways out from making any sort of real decision so you'll likely sell it before I make up my mind what I want to do. I will definitely think about it though. I'm on the south side of Houston and don't know where I might ride it around here and don't know how far I'd want to ride it on the highway to get to some off road riding areas. Thanks again for the reply and GLWS no matter who gets it.

FWIW unless they've significantly updated the DR200 in recent years, the ergonomics are poor for anything other than campsite to bathroom, chasing grandkids and rider training. I have one I use on the farm and it is constantly telling me to sit down.

the DR200S or TW200 or XT250.

They're all very slow, old skool technology. I belive the DR is 30 year old design. Nuttin wrong with old skool. I would argue it's more reliable than the latest technology. But it's more suitable for 3rd world countries' crappy road condition. So, it's perfect for the dirt/gravel road. But if you are going to do group rides like rallies, know that 99% of the people will have big bikes, and you'll not be able to keep up. Might be an issue if you hate being the slow poke of the group, having to eat alot of dust, etc. One huge advantage DR has is the enourmous 3 gallon gas tank and a sturdy subframe for luggage.

Rman kept up with us on gavel with his TW the one day we all road together.

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

Like I said, I'm selling it but I'm not in a rush. I'm still going to keep tweaking on it and probably riding it some and if that is the case by the time fall comes around I'll probably have worked over the suspension. I'm like an addict when it comes to modding stuff. Stock isn't in my nature, lol.

Having gone through a similar decision recently I'd say that the idea of riding a DS bike was more appealing then reality of riding a DS bike.
Before proceeding with such a decision I'd ask the questions

A. Where exactly would I go to ride it?
B. Does it fit my personality?

There was absolutely nothing wrong with my Super T but, the new KTM 300xc (Super moto) for the track I traded it for fits me a lot better and so do my CBR and 950SMR.

Hope this helps.

Good point. Sometimes it's easy to forget that grade one and two gravel roads are pretty tame and open to anything that doesn't have a belt drive (and a belt will work, it just wears out faster than necessary.) Think outside the DS box.

A. Where exactly would I go to ride it?

That's the current biggest question. I have no clue where I'd ride it. I think I like the idea of riding somewhere that doesn't have only concrete as far as the eye can see. There's definitely lots to think about before I make a decision.

Too bad nobody here has an opinion.

Initially I thought of a light 250 bike (or Honda 230, pretty much the same). A Super Sherpa. Something.

Now you live in Flatlandistan but I'm sure there's some unpaved roads somewhere within 10 or so miles maybe.

One good thing is about TWT'ers is you can meet some and if they're trusting enough of you they'll let you ride their bikes to test them out. I got that opportunity a year or so ago with a Suzuki DR-Z400. We rode paved and unpaved around the Bastrop and Lee County areas. Mucho funo! I was sold on DS bikes.

Later I got to test a Yamaha WR250R (really nice bike) and a KTM 690 R Enduro. After testing the KTM by riding around several blocks I almost started bleeding orange. A 250 can get you most places and they get wonderful gas mileage.

I did my research and landed on the DR I have now even though some told me it wasn't tall enough for my 6'4" legs. I love the bike. It's simple and practically idiot-proof, really reliable. I don't have to shell out green for constant orange service that KTM requires. Maybe someday I'll get a KTM but for now I'm happy with simple and reliable.

Go to meets, get to know folks that have DS bikes and they'll let you ride their bikes or even take you on trips. Folks here are really good for stuff like that as you probably know.

come-on-man_o_1094311_zps8b08986c.jpg

I guess next you'll be saying you can out run my xr with your TW. ???????

Now you live in Flatlandistan but I'm sure there's some unpaved roads somewhere within 10 or so miles maybe.

No there is not. Every inch of Harris county is paved. Also every inch of surrounding county is too.

The nearest good stuff would be up in north and east of Huntsville...atleast 80 miles away.

Why do I still live in this skeetos infested flat concrete jungle.

Bummer. I was thinking Sam Houston National Forest ...

Guess he'd have to ride a distance or trailer to dirt and that sucks. I trailered to Big Bend and that was definitely worth it.

Most of my riding on my DS is paved but it's still fun to ride.

Tapatalk on a Note 2.

Good point. Sometimes it's easy to forget that grade one and two gravel roads are pretty tame and open to anything that doesn't have a belt drive (and a belt will work, it just wears out faster than necessary.) Think outside the DS box.

Is there knobby tires that fit the Silver Wing? :mrgreen: OP signature...

Bummer. I was thinking Sam Houston National Forest ...

Yeah, you're right. There are alot of dirt roads in SHNF.

No there is not. Every inch of Harris county is paved. Also every inch of surrounding county is too.
The nearest good stuff would be up in north and east of Huntsville...atleast 80 miles away.

Actually I know of a little unpaved in Harris County and plenty of unpaved in surrounding Montgomery, Liberty, etc. counties. The problem is none of it is connecting to make any kind of decent routes. 1-2 mile down and backs get boring very fast. Doesn't start connecting good until you get 50 miles north.

Why do I still live in this skeetos infested flat concrete jungle.

Because you quit riding and no skeetos inside your air conditioned house while watching satellite TV and surfing the internet.

_

That's part of the decision problem, figuring I'd need a trailer and all that entails and a 2 hour drive up to Huntsville when I wanted to ride. If I could find enough places nearby to just ride to my ride it might alter the decision process.

That's part of the decision problem, figuring I'd need a trailer and all that entails and a 2 hour drive up to Huntsville when I wanted to ride. If I could find enough places nearby to just ride to my ride it might alter the decision process.

Hey I forgot about the beach on the coast. That's only...about...30 miles away.

Back