• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Got a GoPro Hero 3+ Black...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
...now, what do I do with this thing? :ponder:

Switching gears in my head from stills to movies has been difficult this past 24 hours. Any suggestions, pointers or tips on where to start?

You can set it to take still photos every so many seconds if you don't want to deal with the video right away. I've enjoyed my GoPro but the rude awakening came when I realized my computer really couldn't handle the huge files at least not easily. Editing is a must if you want other people to watch your movies. Anything more than 3 or 4 minutes and people zone out/get distracted.

Taking the video isn't too tough, but the creative editing is. At least for me. In fact, I find I don't even take video sometimes just because I can gather the mental energy to do the editing later. Probably means I'm not a video guy.

However, I've played with all sorts of mounts and places on the bike. Mounted in on the end of a hiking stick for views of me or from a higher perspective. I've used a chest mount to mount it on top of the dog. A more active dog would be a help. :doh: You may not have heard me mention when you were over before, but I've done a little playing with recording at the wood lathe. I'm hoping it will be a good tool for refining my technique. Once i even used it for diagnosing something under the car. it was easier to put it on a pole and move it around underneath.

Personally I would love a quadcopter to play with it.

I shot a bunch video and found myself emeshed in hours of editing the video to get 2-4 minutes of worthwhile stuff to watch. Now my GoPro H2 battery lasts about 15 minutes so it has kinda languished in my camera bag.:ponder: Hope the Hero3 battery works better.

Here's what one of my flying buddies does with his gopros and quadcopters:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4NnmbbSizQ"]Backcountry Aviation's STOL Tips: (The Landing) - YouTube[/ame]

Just an idea...

He spends hours and hours creating these, which is why I have hours and hours of raw riding video that haven't been touched.

There is a HUGE learning curve in using the editing software, but now days there are enough youtube videos, and other free or inexpensive web based learning that if you are willing to invest the time, you can become a pretty slick editor

What do you want to do with it? Video rides? Anything else?

That's the issue..... I wanted one and never really determined my true 'requirements' in "why" I needed one. Now that I have it I have to create a need. Kind of like big gubmint.

Off to the thinking-board while I ride my bicycle this morning....

That's the issue..... I wanted one and never really determined my true 'requirements' in "why" I needed one. Now that I have it I have to create a need. Kind of like big gubmint.

Off to the thinking-board while I ride my bicycle this morning....

well I guess the first thing would be to sit down and RTFM and figure out what the GP can do and maybe that will help you with a direction of what you want to do with it

Just give it to me and it's out of your way.:trust:
Tom

I got the sony, and like it. Great video and only 165 bucks. But like the others said the editing part sucks. I've got hrs of video from my ride two weeks ago and am only half way done with the editing. I'll get to it one day.

I got the sony, and like it. Great video and only 165 bucks. But like the others said the editing part sucks. I've got hrs of video from my ride two weeks ago and am only half way done with the editing. I'll get to it one day.

what software do you use for editing?

what software do you use for editing?

Mostly windows movie maker. It's super easy to use, but lacks alot. I'm no pro, not even a rookie! I don't have a video intro or anything. Most of my videos are either vlogs or videos with music. So these are super easy to split, delete, and cut down with wmm.
The main problem with wmm is I can't seem to find a way to edit the audio. You can mute it, but that's about it.

If I want to live a little more dangerously, and do like picture in picture, I use the play memories program from sony that came with the camera. Like wmm, editing audio is not that great or easy.

I just bought and am trying out PowerDirector 12 and it's companion audio editor. This is more complicated then I thought. There are videos out there to help, but it's taking longer to learn. Crazy thing is, I like it better. You have a lot more control and you can cut the audio, raise or lower the valume and any point (so if you want to turn up the sound of the birds and lower the sound of the bike you can).

That's really why I'm having issues getting this last video out. I keep playing around with the program. Otherwise I'd just load it to wmm and add all the clips and hit save.

I started with iMovie then Final Cut X was on sale so I got that. I am still a hack, but slowly getting to where I might know what I am doing. It's all fun.

I started with iMovie then Final Cut X was on sale so I got that. I am still a hack, but slowly getting to where I might know what I am doing. It's all fun.

I use the IMovie...Have one of the Final Cuts but have no clue how to use it. With the IMovie it takes very little time to make a movie..

I use the IMovie...Have one of the Final Cuts but have no clue how to use it. With the IMovie it takes very little time to make a movie..

google "izzy video" he has a free web based training on FC basics

iMovie is what I use. But I do it poorly.

Love the image quality of the "Black" versus the old Hero2

Captured this last Friday.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ys1b_KZHsY"]Spotted Eagle Ray Grand Cayman - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Any of you cam users just done the interval pic taking while out riding? Set your gp to take a pic every so many seconds seems like you might get some good shots. Battery seems to last longer doing that from some you tubes it have seen. Comments? Experiences you care to discuss?

Any of you cam users just done the interval pic taking while out riding? Set your gp to take a pic every so many seconds seems like you might get some good shots. Battery seems to last longer doing that from some you tubes it have seen. Comments? Experiences you care to discuss?

I have multiple cameras. One is for photos i set it for every 3 or 5 seconds. I have multiple batteries and can also plug into a 12V outlet if i don't feel like messing with batteries.

so after much research, almost to the point of "analysis paralysis" I purchased a 3+ black. I will let you know how it does when I get it and start to use it. Should be here next week.

...now, what do I do with this thing? :ponder: Switching gears in my head from stills to movies has been difficult this past 24 hours. Any suggestions, pointers or tips on where to start?

You might as well bite the bullet and start motovlogging like the rest of us. There's a very active community on YouTube.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihBePCJZj3k"]Tim's Motovlog #5 - Fiery sunset, high winds, and the 1980s - YouTube[/ame]

Every so often, one of us will have a giveaway of some sort and solicit funny videos as a contest entry.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCtSBnNmDd8"]Tim's Motovlog #12 - I Demand an EN187 T-Shirt! - YouTube[/ame]

Come join the fun! You'll be addicted before you know it!

Back