• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Long term Engine storage

SL350

Reaction score
That last Sl350 project is being delayed. Not unusual for someone who prefers to ride instead of wrench or even work in the 120 degree garage. So I looked at the engine on the floor, the one that was running great and had 155 psi (good) compression and thought, well, it has already been there a year. Isn't this how all those engines get that way, you know, the ones we always end up with and trying to fix?

So I took the old flannel shirt off the engine, removed the plugs, tipped the engine and poured a little oil into each cylinder. I had done that a year ago when I removed it just in case it was not looked at again for a long time. Next was to turn the engine so I went to the tote and started searching for one of the two kick starters and after a long hot search, found one and installed it. One hand on the engine and one foot on the kickstart and it was easy to spin the crank without the plugs and any compression.

Only missed one thing: put rags over the cylinders. Two streams of oil shot out in opposite directions.

All the engine needs is to replace the original timing chain tensioner which is 40+ year old rubber and is known to break an engine. But I wonder if I should also overfill the crankcase with oil or tranny fluid in case this sits forever?

If you haven't done it, drain the carb float bowls!! I have stored many engine over the years (Put new oil in the engine, a few drops down the bores, kick over a few times) put plastic bags over the ends of the exhausts with rubber bands (to keep condensation from occurring and rotting them out from the inside) and have never had an issue with the engine, it has always been the carbs!! Fuel evaporates and leaves gum in the jets, the brass fittings corrode and seize up.. I find by draining the carbs I can greatly reduce the number of headaches when I want to start it at a later date, but I still seem to always have issues with the carbs every time!!

Gary

Last edited:
No carbs on the engine but thanks for the advice. Engine removed, carbs apart in boxes, some parts painted and others lying about. I did stuff rags into intake and exhaust.

But I worry a bit about internal bearings and clutch plates not being submerged in oil.

I have always stored engines with new oil in them. It MUST be new oil, when an engine runs it produces some pretty nasty chemicals that get absorbed by the oil and if left will cause bearing surfaces to corrode and be attacked, so I put new oil in, remove the spark plugs and spin the engine for 30 seconds on the starter motor, then put some oil in the spark plug holes, turn it over with the kick start (or back wheel if no kick start) then put the plugs back in and will store it like that. You do NOT want to leave the engine dry, there will be some condensation and it will cause the steel plates of the clutch to go rusty..

Gary

Back