• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hummers

Reaction score
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Burleson
My hummers have arrived finally! I've been waiting all summer, and they are in full force now. I spent a good part of today trying different things to get some decent shots. I didn't really figure it out until the end of the day, but it was a learning experience. Hopefully they stick around for a few weeks. Here's a few samples:

15204115015_c9eebab892_b.jpg

15017439380_55b74b399a_b.jpg

Mid-blink
15203738412_bc4fe7b683_b.jpg

15017439090_1298334b08_b.jpg

Tongue!
15204114505_ae895be5f3_b.jpg

15201070041_923364a37e_b.jpg

15181089636_9fc99bdc74_b.jpg

15017543857_6e05b0b2af_b.jpg

15017543707_79d8d9e510_b.jpg

15204113375_512710595f_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Those are great..... What kind of settings were you shooting? Lens?

I'd like to try them again, but want to put an umbrella in the mix. Having good light really makes them pop. I tried at Mrs. C's place with mixed results, figuring out the sunny side is way better than the shady side of them.

Beautiful. I doubted checking the post, thought it was about the vehicles...

Those are great..... What kind of settings were you shooting? Lens?

I'd like to try them again, but want to put an umbrella in the mix. Having good light really makes them pop. I tried at Mrs. C's place with mixed results, figuring out the sunny side is way better than the shady side of them.

These are with my 300mm f/4. All of these were basically f/4; 1/1000th; ISO 1250. These are cropped in. I shot the 300 naked because I didn't want to increase the ISO any more. I'd like to try more with the 1.4TC making it 420mm so I don't have to crop so much.

I had tried most of the day with flash, but I just couldn't make them work. It's going to take some more practice for me. Also, they weren't digging the flash going off.

I literally spent a good part of the day trying stuff, and got these in about 20 minutes then called it a day. I'm tired and sore. :mrgreen:

These are with my 300mm f/4. All of these were basically f/4; 1/1000th; ISO 1250. These are cropped in. I shot the 300 naked because I didn't want to increase the ISO any more. I'd like to try more with the 1.4TC making it 420mm so I don't have to crop so much.

I had tried most of the day with flash, but I just couldn't make them work. It's going to take some more practice for me. Also, they weren't digging the flash going off.

I literally spent a good part of the day trying stuff, and got these in about 20 minutes then called it a day. I'm tired and sore. :mrgreen:

Yeah, trying to get flash to sync that high is really really really (did I say really) hard. I've been toying with the 300/f4 for quite a while. Seems cheaper than the D4s right now. lol

I put out a hummingbird feeder this year, and all I got was honey bees. I feel so jilted.

Really good shots. We're up to about fifteen at the farm now - all tanking up for the long flight south.

This is what you have: Ruby-Throated Humming Bird. Look for this one too: Rufus Hummingbird. They are the two most common.

Follow TEXBIRDS (list server) or call Russ Pitman park in Bellaire to see what other vagrant species are in the area.

As always, your info is much appreciated! I counted at least 4 on Tuesday, and the ladies were seriously going at it! Of course, I didn't have my camera body back from Nikon yet, so all I could do was sit and watch. There wasn't as much activity yesterday, but I like what I came away with. I'll certainly enjoy them while they last.

Do you have any tips on their favorite plants? I'm already thinking ahead to next year. :trust:

Yeah, trying to get flash to sync that high is really really really (did I say really) hard. I've been toying with the 300/f4 for quite a while. Seems cheaper than the D4s right now. lol

I know it can't compete with the f/2.8 variety, but I've been quite impressed with it.

There's lots I can think of that come in cheaper than the D4s. :lol2: I'm actually quite interested in this supposed "D750" that will possibly be announced very soon, even as early as today. If it has 24MP, 51 point AF, and 8 FPS... I'm in serious trouble. :uhoh:

Those are great. One thing I'm amazed about when shooting hummers is how close you can get to them and they don't seem to mind. I'm usually able to get about 10' from them.

Great photos!
They've been here all summer, and mostly mornings and evenings. I relax in the chaise lounge a few feet away under the feeder and watch them feed and joust. They don't mind people as long you are still. It seems the males (more colorful) tend to try to keep the females away from the feeders? I feed them sugar water and they seem to like it as much as the store-bought nectar.

These are great Kory!

Have you thought of putting up a 150w CFL in a clip on shop light housing?

I read about that and other "hardware store" lighting being used out doors for Humming Bird captures.

#8 is a true winner out of this set. Also love the back ground in every one of these. Very Well Done!

These are great Kory!

Have you thought of putting up a 150w CFL in a clip on shop light housing?

I read about that and other "hardware store" lighting being used out doors for Humming Bird captures.

#8 is a true winner out of this set. Also love the back ground in every one of these. Very Well Done!

Thanks, Duke. I've never thought of that nor would I ever have. :mrgreen: Sounds interesting though. I'm not sure how much time I'll get to tinker with them this year.

The background is nothing other than my grass. The feeder usually hangs under my carport. I moved it out just a bit and then shot this one at a slight angle down from my back porch. The 300mm just completely smooths out the grass for the background.

Back