• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Japan Trip - September 2014 :Warning, many picsics

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
Had the opportunity to travel to Japan with my wife over Labor Day week, we were up in Karuizawa, Nagano Prefecture, and were there for the World Amateur Team Championships. My wife volunteers as a Rules Official / Referee for the USGA and was invited to officiate at this years event, and it was AMAZING.

i-9bzMNSP-L.png

I was last in mainland Japan winter 1993 spring 1994, much has changed, but much has stayed the same and was still fairly familiar to me.

i-7v576VP-XL.png

It rained or was heavy overcast just about every day we were there but for a couple of hours on 1 day. This didn't dampen our enjoyment though.

This is my photo essay of our trip.

IMG_4419-L.jpg

DSC_3077-L.jpg

DSC_3048-L.jpg

DSC_3061-L.jpg

DSC_3051-L.jpg

This is located a short bus ride and a walk from Karuizawa, it is called the "Shiraito no Taki" which translates to "Waterfall of White Threads".

DSC_0570-L.jpg

This is why we were here.

DSC_0223-L.jpg

For all the golfers out there... have you ever seen one of these before, 733 Yard Par 6 (the men played 786 yards)?

C360_2014-09-01-11-36-39-601-L.jpg

In town you can get a pedicure for less than 5 bucks.

DSC_0770-L.jpg

Just some random things while walking the street of Karuizawa

DSC_0786-XL.jpg

DSC_0790-L.jpg

(I liked the Juxtiposation of old vs. new transportation)

DSC_0810-L.jpg

(maybe here too??)

DSC_0853-L.jpg

Bullet Train that we would take up to Nagano or down to Tokyo.

DSC_0893-L.jpg

From Nagano we took a local train up into the mountains to see the Snow Monkeys.

DSC_1017-XL.jpg

(some of my favorites).

DSC_1514-B-L.jpg

DSC_1531-Edit-L.jpg

DSC_2026-B-L.jpg

DSC_2170-B-L.jpg

The rest of these are sights from in Tokyo mostly from around Sensoji Temple and over at Takeshita Street.

DSC_2619-L.jpg

DSC_2621-L.jpg

DSC_2625-L.jpg

DSC_2644-L.jpg

DSC_2645-L.jpg

DSC_2654-L.jpg

DSC_2669-L.jpg

DSC_2676-XL.jpg

DSC_2681-L.jpg

DSC_2688-L.jpg

DSC_2699-L.jpg

DSC_2708-L.jpg

DSC_2750-L.jpg

DSC_2739-L.jpg

DSC_2737-L.jpg

DSC_2773-L.jpg

DSC_2780-L.jpg

DSC_2859-XL.jpg

DSC_2909-XL.jpg

IMG_4575-L.jpg

I got nuttin' (???)

DSC_2985-XL.jpg

Well if you made it this far thanks for taking the time to look. I know it is a whole bunch of pictures but it really is only a fraction of what I took.... taking photos are an addiction for me I have come to realize. :giveup:

Last edited:
:clap:

Very nice series Duke. I'm really enjoying the wide angle lens shots towards the bottom with that little bit of distortion. Seems to work very well with the subject matter.

This one.
DSC_2750-L.jpg

Great colors, choice of DOF on the series. Solid. Oh, and it looks like a fun trip. But no golf pics? :ponder:

Thanks Scott.

No, no golf pics.

I didn't have a media credential and when your wife is an official with the tournament, its kind of hard to sneak photos. Well that and the Japanese security hired wouldn't have let me close either without a media credential either.

Fantastic pics! The density of the population there gives me claustrophobia just looking at the photos. :eek2:

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feed back.

Photo Gear for the trip were my wife's and my cell phones a Nikon DSLR and 24-120 f/4 lens and 14-24 f/2.8, and the 80-400g. I took many more items in my gear bag but for 97% of time I only used the 24-120mm. This is a perfect travel lens and if any are thinking about it, I recommend it.

Very cool, Duke. Great photography. Thanks for taking us along. :clap:

Looks like you had a great time in my homeland.

:dude:

thank you guys for the encouragement

I put this video together documenting the commute from Nagano to "Monkey" Park.

This entailed a Train, Bus and 4 kilometer (ish) hike.

I am still learning this video thing and have been following some of the tips / advice given here on TWT to try and make this concise using a combination of Video & Stills from multiple devices. The commute to the reward was a little more than 2 hours, and I condensed it down to barely 3 min. Would love to hear if you all think I am on the right track so to speak on video producing.

[ame="http://youtu.be/SBfyPT6N1nQ"]Our Commute from Nagano to Snow Monkey Park - YouTube[/ame]

Nice job! I'm not a videographer, so can't make a comment there. But did you get take a dip in hot spring in Yudanaka? Also, since you were in Shinshu area, I hope you got to try some Soba noodles.

Nice photos. I haven't been back to Japan since the late 90's. Makes me a little home sick.

Nice job! I'm not a videographer, so can't make a comment there. But did you get take a dip in hot spring in Yudanaka? Also, since you were in Shinshu area, I hope you got to try some Soba noodles.

Sure did... they were delicious. Favorite was with *"Garlic Sauce & Beef" *not really what the dish was called but that is what I named it.

I did get to partake in a hot spring (bath). It was a unique experience for certain. I mean, who doesn't like to get naked in front of a bunch of strangers?

Here's what I see (or don't).....

1. The inside of the train stream is a bit long during each sequence and from an overall percentage seems to dominate the real shots - the monkeys. Yes, it's your 'trip to get there', but I think pairing down the 'getting' there part with shorter 3-5 sec clips with some stills of the countryside would get the trip part across well.

2. Did you have an earlier version? I recall a screetch from the train that made the hair on my neck stand up that isn't there anymore. lol.....

3. I think the ambient sound is ok in places, but there's many spots that have zero audio. From what I can see in others work, audio or conversation sets the tone. Maybe try to find a free track that sets the tone from start to finish?

4. I think if you had the shots, try to incorporate more of the "here's duke shooting this monkey, then show that monkey. repeat". That takes Dianne to be in on it, but that was a very cool couple frames.

5. The shots at the end of the monkeys are absolutely incredible. I would take the time pared down in the beginning sequence of the train ride and showcase more of the monkeys.

Trice has me really thinking that the format of an intro, 3min video and a conclusion/credits is the way to start. Yours is following that format and I think is a good start. Also, my above comments are also sooooo subjective as to what I think and not others - or even you. That's what I'm finding out - that we are all being really 'creative' when we create these kind of things and there's different thought process and approaches between all of us. Kind of like ask 10 people to shoot a dollar bill and we'll get 10 different approaches.

Thanks Scott. No no earlier version, this is the only one.

This is the first attempt I have made at using different sources to cut/edit together a complete video.

I appreciate your comments and will go back and look at to how I can improve the view experience, because it is about the audience and not so much, me.... right?

Back