• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1980 KZ650e LTD - Cafe Dreams

Reaction score
Hello all! This is my KZ650e. This was my first bike. I got it just like you see it from a friend to get into motorcycles. I wanted to build a Cafe Racer as this is where I was starting from. Ive had it for a little while now, mainly searching for parts that I want to get it running again. I just recently purchased a new ninja to ride around and get me by until this is done. A instructor in my MSF class pointed me here to get help finding parts and info to help with my build.

1939789_800797263282603_266928105_n.jpg

1959275_800797349949261_64007434_n.jpg

1795701_800797403282589_1586321326_n.jpg

1959559_800797476615915_1605551964_n.jpg

1920499_800797519949244_2138334429_n.jpg

1465248_800797646615898_342789674_n.jpg

Its going to be a long project that I know wont be all that easy. Ive got the orings for the carb rebuilds, I have a new tank and gauges(which I might not use now). There is quite a bit I still need to do. Im sure I need new forks, and I know I need a new seat, along with a list of maintanence items.

Look like carb work is a good place to start. Keep an eye out for a parts bike as that can be a lot cheaper than buying new.

Good luck on the project and keep posting pictures.

Welcome and good luck with the build. Will it start/run and drive train in working order?

Looks like a fun project. Kawasaki's are pretty bulletproof, get it running smooth before you start spending a bunch of $$$ on the cafe look. It's easy to get sucked in on these projects (never mind how I know this...http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59746).

To get the right stance for a cafe racer, you'll probably want to change that 16" rear wheel for an 18". Kawasaki made the KZ650 in many different versions--you might be able to find a junkyard wheel that will just bolt in.

Have fun, and post pictures as you go along!

Agree that just getting it running in its current form it priority one and the carbs are indeed the first place to start. From there take your time and have fun. Just wrapping up a GS550 rebuild that I initially thought I could wrap up over the winter...it's been 18 months! All of it fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think think the two most common "Cafe Bike "mistakes are chopping off the rear and changing the bar and stopping. Take time to go through google pics and find dozens of Cafe Bikes that appeal to you and get a general idea of where to go. Second remember, these things don't happen overnite, sometimes it take a year or two to find the right combination so be patient, go slow take your time. For me the important thing is to get them rideable so I don't lose interest during the process I can ride them from time to time.

Thanks guys. Ive been looking for parts and what not for a while now. I have found a seat and bars I want, and Im not at the stage where I want to cut and hack on the frame yet. I really do just want it running at this point. I know for a fact it needs the carb work and a battery. After I get those, then I will worry about the looks. It really needs new tires as well. It will be a long and slow build.

Tank. Drain & clean the fuel tank. I use gasoline & decant the fuel for reuse, or strain it w several layers
of cheesecloth if necessary. Use the old fuel mix in a lawnmower or your car if it's not too bad.
Check that the petcock screen isn't clogged or anything --- you may have to rebuild the petcock (oem or K&L parts --- made in Japan).
Or you could install a manual fuel valve --- the bolt hole spacing is probably 44mm.
Install new fuel line & an in-line fuel filter suitable for motorcycles.

Carbs. Z1Enterprises.com has gaskets & o-rings & other stuff for the bike. A Harbor-Freight metric nitrile o-ring kit has most of the needed sizes & comes in handy from time to time for other stuff.

Front forks. For simplicity, I think all of the 77-80 KZ650s have the same triple tree & I think the 78-79 650-D SR has the same forks. Other stuff will probably work, but the parts from these models would be the easiest. Crooked front end? If necessary, you might be able to check the upper triple on a glass table (and maybe the lower steering stem???) --- lay it flat then press down on one corner to see if it rocks. Mine rocked quite a bit --- the replacement only a tad.

Seat. You could carve down the foam, then recover the seat.

Ignition system. If it still has the stock points ignition: you can use the electronic ignition from an 81-83 KZ650-CSR or 80-83 KZ750-4. Igniter, Pulsing coil, CSR timing advancer, & Dyna ignition coils (not sure if the 750-4 advancer would be suitable)(I wouldn't get old, used ign. coils). Instead of getting a used igniter, you could make one --- I've collected the stuff, but haven't built mine yet. doh. Homemade igniter

In the mean time you should do the ignition checks & service the timing advancer.
Note: if you turn the crankshaft by hand, put a 17mm wrench on the big "nut". NOT the timing advancer bolt.

I was told it has upgraded ignition. I will just have to find out once I get the tank off. I havent really started work on it yet. Its still coverd up and in the parking lot.

Looks like you have the start of a great build there. Just needs a bit of TLC. My first street bike was a 1977 KZ-650 I bought new, bike was way to fast for my skill sets at that time. :) Got more speeding tickets on that bike then all in all of my 40+ years of driving combined. Oops
You might want to check Houston Cycle Salvage for parts: http://houstonmotorcyclesalvage.net/ I am NOT related in any way, shape or form to them, have found parts for my older bikes there.
Tom

I have been there. Tigger is a friend of two of my co workers. When I get back into this project, I will be visiting him again. That place is just too nice not to go to again.

Points are not so bad. I always think about buying the electronic ignitions but a good set of points are pretty reliable. The only issue is when one wants perfection. Electronic ignitions tend to fail and the bike is motionless at that point. I would work on the other stuff first.

What's wrong with the forks? I don't even see typical surface rust spots.

The stock seat pan can be a great base for a rework into a "bum stop" cafe style seat; I wouldn't ditch it.

Im on that site as well. Right now Im just trying to get the stuff together to get it running. Im not in a rush so it will take some time to see progress. I need to find some nice cheap forks for it. I really want to swap the rear wheel to a disc wheel too. I hate drum brakes with a passion.

I commented about a month ago, you never replied - what's wrong with the forks?

(they look pretty darned good)

When looking for parts, if you don't already know, there are a couple of places around Houston - Union Cycle Salvage and Houston Motorcycle Salvage (Pasadena) that may be able to find what you need if they don't already have it.

I commented about a month ago, you never replied - what's wrong with the forks?

(they look pretty darned good)

Sorry, this build is on hold sorta, Im looking for new forks as an upgrade and because while these might look good, they are not all that great. I know for sure they need to be rebuilt, and would rather get newer and nicer forks instead.

I have checked those two places out and Tiggers was the most helpful. Union I believe went out of business...I think.

Looking to get some gsxr or zx6r forks...or something like those.

Back