• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Garmin 378! Now we're talking!

I just wish they had all the buttons on the left side of the units. Well... that and that I could afford one :doh:

Yes, I looked at the Garmin site, and thought about the buttons... not. I thought, geez that is 4 times the price of the others and not as much as a laptop. So why not the wrist computer that a Swiss company is producing for $1200 and Garmin III? Ah so, when they don't sell them, they'll integrate the goodies into the lower priced ones, maybe.
I wonder how big the screen is on the ones on the new Goldwings? And how about the ones from Airplanes? Even an older Avionics model doesn't run that much. And the more you put into the GPS the greater the risk of light handed Luke removing it at a rest stop.
Oh well, that's what separates the men and boys, the price of the toys. ;-)
Ride on ya'll.

http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=9634 times the price of the others? Maybe the hand held hiking units with the tiny black and white screens. It's not even twice as much as the unit Scott has. as for those avionic units, gonna be pretty useless for auto routing.

The thing I really like about my 2610 is the touch screen. Don't have to deal with buttons. Bet that wrist computer would be a lot of fun trying to manipulate with gloves on. :lol2:

As for light handed Luke, I seriously doubt they would know the price difference from my "cheap" E Map to the 378. The risk is the same, the loss is just bigger. ;-)

You can find them cheaper then on EBay if you look around.

http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=963
http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=963Of course, that price doesn't include the antenna to recieve the XM radio and NEXRAD signals. That's another $200. Also, the cheapest NEXRAD service is $30 a month.

Tourmeister said:
I paid $350 for my 60CS new.

My bad, I thought you had the 60 CXS. Those are selling just under $500. I paid around $350 for my Emap plus an 8 meg card. Of course that was 5 years ago.

If I was buying one of these, I would go for the 478. I would probably get more use out of the salt water navigation than the inland waterways.

Tourmeister said:
I just wish they had all the buttons on the left side of the units. Well... that and that I could afford one :doh:

I believe they have a setting to flip the display.

Nice to see a pre loade one now, I'll have to see how much topo can fit in 512MB and start thinking about an upgrade. :)

Now if they would just go for a cheaper annual price for XM and/or the weather radar.

I went the 2730 route myself. Better display than the 2610, but still kept the touchscreen functionality. Preloaded with City Navigator NT just like the 378. Weather radar is pretty useless to me, but the traffic info and XM music has been great ... and the traffic/weather info subscription is only like $16 vs the regular $13/mon. List price looks to be pretty comparable between the 2730 and the 378, so it just depends on which box you prefer better (or if weather radar is a must have).

I've been eyeing the GPSMAP 60CSx cause i'd love to have something that I can use on the bike and take off and go hiking with.
Maybe if I get a true ST bike and do more touring then I could have a dedicated GPS

Garmin has a $100 rebate going on the 76 CSX. It has a lot of the same features as the 60 CSX.

Rocket_Cowboy said:
I went the 2730 route myself. Better display than the 2610, but still kept the touchscreen functionality. Preloaded with City Navigator NT just like the 378. Weather radar is pretty useless to me, but the traffic info and XM music has been great ... and the traffic/weather info subscription is only like $16 vs the regular $13/mon. List price looks to be pretty comparable between the 2730 and the 378, so it just depends on which box you prefer better (or if weather radar is a must have).

I was wondering how well the NavTraffic worked. Good to get some feedback on it. I'm Not that interested in doing the weather subscription as I don't do many bike trips these days, but the coverage area's for the traffic pretty much include all the cities we travel to for tournaments. BTW, the 2730 is a bit cheaper then the 378 since it comes with the XM antenna. Got to spend an extra $200 for that sucker with the 378. :-(

The traffic service and route detouring works pretty good ... unless you're 5 cars behind the accident which closes down the I-10 bridge into Baton Rouge ... then you just have to sit and wait it out. But otherwise, it's good for flagging construction zones and traffic jams, and will work up route options to reroute if you want.

tx-vfr said:
I've been eyeing the GPSMAP 60CSx cause i'd love to have something that I can use on the bike and take off and go hiking with.
Maybe if I get a true ST bike and do more touring then I could have a dedicated GPS

The 267 uses a battery that lasts a whole day of continuous use, maybe a lil big for hiking and not as convenient as AA batteries but I'd take mine. :)

The 376 and others in that line have a battery too, dunno if they draw it down quicker though.

When you use the XM it does drain the battery significantly. Other then that it gets the same battery life as the 276. But then, why would you use it when you're walking around anyway. I guess you could build a mount on a baseball cap for the antenna. :lol2:

Hey Albie, you still got your eMap? I'll take it off your hands for you. Mine finally died this weekend.

hmm, the 76 doesn't sound too bad, course I don't have the money for it ATM :(

I'm thinking more for multi-day backpacking trips where recharging is not an option. So at a min exchangeable batteries is a must.

irondawg said:
Hey Albie, you still got your eMap? I'll take it off your hands for you. Mine finally died this weekend.

Still have it. I'm hanging on to it cause I use it on the DRZ.

Yeah... does it have a depth sounder function on it :lol2: :-P

Rocket_Cowboy said:
Until it becomes an Albiesumable. :)

Actually, I did have that one come off a bike once. Bill Via was riding behind me and picked it up. Luckily it landed on the grassy shoulder. The only thing that broke was the battery cover. :eek2:

Back