PDA

View Full Version : The Un-Authorized Ride

Desmo
05-30-2006, 03:20 PM
The way I look at it, if a piece of property has no fence, no gate and no “no trespassing” signs (or purple paint), it is open for exploration DS style.

Skies were threatening Memorial Day so I decided to stay close to home and explore some above referenced land. I hit a few plots close to home with good luck. The weather was cool and it had rained enough to kill the dust. Plus no land owners came after me with a shotgun. All in all, a great day for dualsport riding.

This is a duck pond near Rosehill I found.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3683/20060528tooltube00129zo.jpg

It still had not started raining, so I headed west. Hit some dirt roads I had been meaning to explore and soon found myself south of Navasota. A little more exploring and found myself on some cow trails.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/500/20060529tooltube00167ox.jpg

The corn is almost ready for picking. I like the way the green of the KLR blends in with the corn stalks.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4092/20060529tooltube00172yh.jpg

As you can see, no real story. Only a few images I thought I would share on a rainy day.

Steve

10-95
05-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Crops or cultivation is also another way to post on private property. There are other ways established by case law. I would be careful.

And extra careful in Grimes County. I grew up there. You can find yourself shot or in jail.

Pretty much if it's not public land you should stay out. If it's public it will have signs.

Albert
06-07-2006, 11:56 AM
I agree with 10-95. One day Desmo your "I don't see a sign so it must be open for me to ride on" attitude is going to get you hurt or killed. Desmo do you have "keep out" signs on the front door of your house, back door, windows, yard, or even on your motorcycles that are in your garage? I’m 100% sure you don't. Desmo how would you feel if I just walked into you backyard, came into your house, or even walked into you open garage, jumped on your bike and took off. I didn't see any "keep out" signs so I must have the right to be on your property. Desmo respect other people's property/land and stay off of it. The landowner does know if you are there because you are lost/took the wrong turn or you are there trying to steal something.

Desmo
06-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Now wait a minute.

I am a land owner in Texas (many acres). Some of it is not fenced. It is not uncommon to see four wheeler tracks on my land where there is no fence. Would I shoot someone for entering? No, it is my fault because there is no fence, gate or sign. If I caught them and asked them not to return, then they should not.

I was on a public paved highway which turned into a gravel road which turned into a sand road. There was no way to tell where the county maintenace ended. Albert, you're saying this is the same as someone coming into my garage and stealing my bike? Get real.

DaveC
06-07-2006, 01:12 PM
If you leave nothing but tracks and take nothing but pictures you most likely won't have issues. Stick to the cow path, two track. If you encounter anyone stop and be socialble. That in itself goes a long way.
I believe there was a post of some loud pipes spooking a mans herd. This would be a bad thing. Don't be cutting donuts in the fields.

Voltar
06-07-2006, 02:45 PM
If you leave nothing but tracks and take nothing but pictures you most likely won't have issues.

The problem is that, as a landowner, I can't tell who is who. I see signs of jerk tresspassers for time to time (ruts, cans, bottles, etc.). I'm sure there are those that tresspass and don't leave traces.

One huge problem is that I camp my land a lot. When it is night and a bike, ATV, car, truck, etc. is coming onto the land excitement levels kick up in the camp. Is it a nice guy? A trouble maker? A kid? You just can't tell. All you know is that there is somebody that is not playing by the rules.

If you are tresspass I say you are playing a potentially very dangerous game. Just ask yourself how you would someone even walked their dog around your back yard without asking. How would you feel about that person or treat them if you caught them?

It is just not right. Ask first or stay away.

Tourmeister
06-07-2006, 02:46 PM
If you encounter anyone stop and be socialble. That in itself goes a long way.

:tab This has worked very well for me. Most folks aren't looking for trouble. I have gone down several roads that were never gated or otherwise marked only to encounter the owner later. I have stopped and had some great conversations. Most are usually curious about the bike, the GPS, and even the Camel-Bak! One guy's wife was so impressed with that, she was going down to Academy to get them some for using around the farm :lol2:

:tab The key is just don't be an obnoxious jerk. If they ask you to leave, apologize and leave.

scratch
06-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Albert, be serious. You can't equate an honest mistake that may or may not result in an instance of trespassing - out in an open field, in broad daylight - with someone entering your home uninvited. You really don't help your case with that sort of argument.

People who make the error of behaving as though they have the power of life-and-death over someone who innocently strays onto their property can easily end up losing their precious property in the courts when they have charges of assault or wrongful death filed against them.

Like Dave implied, a little common sense and respect - by everyone - goes a long way in these situations. Civil society is built on such expectations.

STrider
06-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Nice pics, Steve.

scratch
06-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Dittos on what Matt said. ;-)

Albert
06-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Demso you need to be careful how and to whom you brag about riding on someone's land "Plus no land owners came after me with a shotgun". I have a few cousins that still live around Rosehill and the picture with your bike next to a pond and barn in the background looks familiar. And if it is not on their land then they just might recognize whose small pond/barn that belongs to.

Demso I'm trying to educate you, not fight with you. I want to keep you from pissing off a landowner who just might hurt or kill you. (Remember your actions will influence how people treat other dual-sport riders they encounter) I assume you are between 20 something and at least 70 something and you may never have learn this but not every rancher/farmer/landowner closes their gates every time they go on or off their land. Nor will they have posted "keep out" signs every where. Nor spray purple paint everywhere. Nor will they have the fence completely up around their land (like you).

You said..."public paved highway which turned into a gravel road which turned into a sand road. There was no way to tell where the county maintenance ended". Come on Demso, use the common sense that God gave you. You know for the most part when you are on public roads/land and private roads/land.

You state you have "many acres" so let's do some role playing. Let's say I'm the one who is riding on your land (remember your fence is down) and you see me riding down a "cow path" on your land. You stop me and demand for me to tell you what I'm doing on your land. I tell you "I'm lost" or your excuse "I thought the 'sand road' was a public road". You don't know if I'm telling the truth or not. You don't know if I'm scouting your place out to find out what you have or how often you are out there.

You don't know if I was riding my bike around your cows, chasing them, spooking them for the fun of it. Maybe I'll come back later with a truck and cattle trailer and load up some of your cows. (We have had this happen before) Or maybe you catch me riding around some of your tractors, combines, other farm equipment. You don't know if I was planning to pick up a rock and throw it at the glass on the tractor just to see the glass break (we have this happen before) or maybe take your tractor for a "joy ride" driving through your fence, into your pond, running it over equipment (we have had this happen before) or maybe come back later with a large truck and lowboy and load up your $120,000 tractor (we have had this happen before).

Maybe I'll come back later in my truck with some 55 gallon drums and drain the diesel out of your fuel tank. With the price of fuel now, this happens every day to a rancher/farmer somewhere.

So Demso when a landowner catches you on his property (or he chases you but you get away) and sometime later he finds something missing or broken, the first thing he will think is "I bet it was that guy on the bike that did this".

Voltar
06-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Albert:

For your 3rd post this was sure a good one!

Demso you need to be careful how and to whom you brag about riding on someone's land "Plus no land owners came after me with a shotgun". I have a few cousins that still live around Rosehill and the picture with your bike next to a pond and barn in the background looks familiar. And if it is not on their land then they just might recognize whose small pond/barn that belongs to.

Demso I'm trying to educate you, not fight with you. I want to keep you from pissing off a landowner who just might hurt or kill you. (Remember your actions will influence how people treat other dual-sport riders they encounter) I assume you are between 20 something and at least 70 something and you may never have learn this but not every rancher/farmer/landowner closes their gates every time they go on or off their land. Nor will they have posted "keep out" signs every where. Nor spray purple paint everywhere. Nor will they have the fence completely up around their land (like you).

You said..."public paved highway which turned into a gravel road which turned into a sand road. There was no way to tell where the county maintenance ended". Come on Demso, use the common sense that God gave you. You know for the most part when you are on public roads/land and private roads/land.

You state you have "many acres" so let's do some role playing. Let's say I'm the one who is riding on your land (remember your fence is down) and you see me riding down a "cow path" on your land. You stop me and demand for me to tell you what I'm doing on your land. I tell you "I'm lost" or your excuse "I thought the 'sand road' was a public road". You don't know if I'm telling the truth or not. You don't know if I'm scouting your place out to find out what you have or how often you are out there.

You don't know if I was riding my bike around your cows, chasing them, spooking them for the fun of it. Maybe I'll come back later with a truck and cattle trailer and load up some of your cows. (We have had this happen before) Or maybe you catch me riding around some of your tractors, combines, other farm equipment. You don't know if I was planning to pick up a rock and throw it at the glass on the tractor just to see the glass break (we have this happen before) or maybe take your tractor for a "joy ride" driving through your fence, into your pond, running it over equipment (we have had this happen before) or maybe come back later with a large truck and lowboy and load up your $120,000 tractor (we have had this happen before).

Maybe I'll come back later in my truck with some 55 gallon drums and drain the diesel out of your fuel tank. With the price of fuel now, this happens every day to a rancher/farmer somewhere.

So Demso when a landowner catches you on his property (or he chases you but you get away) and sometime later he finds something missing or broken, the first thing he will think is "I bet it was that guy on the bike that did this".

scratch
06-07-2006, 04:55 PM
...Maybe I'll come back later with a truck and cattle trailer and load up some of your cows. (We have had this happen before) Or maybe you catch me riding around some of your tractors, combines, other farm equipment. You don't know if I was planning to pick up a rock and throw it at the glass on the tractor just to see the glass break (we have this happen before) or maybe take your tractor for a "joy ride" driving through your fence, into your pond, running it over equipment (we have had this happen before) or maybe come back later with a large truck and lowboy and load up your $120,000 tractor (we have had this happen before).
Well, you confirmed my suspicions about the reason for your sensitivity on this issue. I'm honestly sorry to hear that you are the victim of thieves, but taking your frustration out on Desmo is an exercise in futility. It's a shame that you have to lock up your property and equipment to keep the predators from taking it, but you can't avoid the necessity of it; it's the same principle as putting locks on the doors of your home.

STrider
06-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Still, nice pics though.

dirt bomb
06-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Hey Desmo, you big trouble maker. Hey I've still got that phone # of that girl in the hot tub! You remember, the one that spent more on her tattoos than her teeth! She wanted to make sure you and Wasabi got it. I need to give it to you soon before you get shot for tresspassing!:rofl: dirtbomb

Tourmeister
06-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Look. Let's just let it go already. Albert, no one is condoning reckless trespassing. Honest mistakes can happen even when using common sense.