• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Mexico - No Plans...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
SpiritAtBay (Gina) and I recently returned from a week on the road to Northern New Mexico..... Here's a short of the trip.

Shot with the Nikon D90/Sigma 10-20mm and a Hero3 Black with a few cellphone pics tossed in.

Enjoy and comments are always welcome!

[ame="http://vimeo.com/110101928"]2014 New Mexico Trip via Motorcycle on Vimeo[/ame]

Last edited:
That's awesome Scott!
What fun!
I'm still working on a ride report from the week. (I'll just be using plain old black letters on a white background...)

Thanks for putting together a terrific video.

:rider:

SpiritAtBay (Gina) and I recently returned from a week on the road to Northern New Mexico..... Here's a short of the trip.

Shot with the Nikon D90/Sigma 10-20mm and a Hero3 Black with a few cellphone pics tossed in.

Enjoy and comments are always welcome!

2014 New Mexico Trip via Motorcycle on Vimeo

Well done!

So did you have a "shot list" plan thought out or did you just wing it? I like the different camera views you gave us, really adds to the overall video.

That's awesome Scott!
What fun!
I'm still working on a ride report from the week. (I'll just be using plain old black letters on a white background...)

:popcorn:

Nice summary, I'm also waiting for the full report...
Like the tent at night with the stars picture.

Duke,
I just winged it to get my feet wet on shooting the video without having to see the buttons on the bike. I had it mounted on a RAM mount with a swivel ballhead and mounted on the left side so I could keep throttle going while loosening the thumbscrew and pointing it different directions while riding.

I intentionally didn't take my charger cord so I'd limit myself to 40min of video to cull. Wound up shooting 110 shorts in the five to fifteen second range that I've sorted through and paired down to 40 or so. Now that the video is done I'll go delete the unused clips. Maybe I'll try to pull something together with just all video clips.

Scott
You have done what I thought to be impossible! Kept my attention. I managed to watch from beginning to end without skipping at least some of the video. Well done.:clap:

It helps when people show their 20 or so best shots, instead of backing up the digital dump truck, as many of my FB friends are inclined to do.

I think the key is as Tricepilot references to keep the video in the three to four minute range. This is 3:55 start to finish which helps in that department. I created a 'project' in iMovie, then created the entry/intro title and ending credit slides first.

I also believe music is key, as in picking the right music to set the tone or mood. When I was assembling this, I hadn't found a music track yet and it was boring with a capital B. I spent 20min or so at Free Music Archive, searched a couple times with the engine they provide and found this one. I read the "use' terms and it was good to go, so I imported it and it made ALL the difference in the world.

Next, I had to choose between all stills, all video clips or a combination. I went with a combo which meant trimming the video clips for the 'best of the best' part. I shot 110 clips over the week, all in the five to fifteen second range. I only used half a dozen or so. Then it was drop them in, sequence them and add transitions. Some lent themselves wonderfully to the stills presented.

This was my third attempt at something like this, the first being a whole bunch of stills, the second being the first time to use the GoPro and the new cheapie DIY slider rail I built, and then this one. I'm still learning and have a long way to go. But I'm pleased with how it turned out for the third attempt.

Last edited:
Very cool, and good choice of music.
The only thing I noticed it was missing, was action shots of the bike, but not on the bike. Shots of the bike from the side of the road passing the camera, in turns, that type of thing.
Those shots are pretty time consuming though if you're riding and filming.

It would also be cool to get some type of pole rig to get more of the bike in the shots of you.

I have this idea for a frame made from PVC that attaches to a back pack or you wear like a back pack that give you a "mario cart" point of view.

Thanks Jason, good ideas there.

Yeah, we didn't plan or even talk about this being a video shoot ride and to stop for rolling shots would indeed have taken more time. Yet it would have been cool in retrospect. Maybe next time?

Sure makes sitting at my desk here at work seem awful lame...

Nicely done. I bet it felt really good to be doing another road trip on a GS ;-)

Awesome! Great vid. I love NM. Can't wait to see the formal ride report to see everywhere you went.

amazing shots as usual my friend...I still need to catch up with you!!!...I still owe you for those prints!!...coffee soon???

amazing shots as usual my friend...I still need to catch up with you!!!...I still owe you for those prints!!...coffee soon???

...ah! The "Barn Find" pic. :sun:

PM me when you want to get together. I'm out Fri/Sat/Sun this week. Come on up to the Lonestar BMW Appreciation BBQ Saturday and we'll catch up!

Fantastic! I liked the Balmorhea shots.....took the kids there for the first time last weekend. :sun:

Moreover; seeing you and Gina smiling and riding just did my heart good!

Last edited:
Scott,
Great job on the video and the music. Made me want to watch it again and again and I did. You have a real talent there,sir! Thanks for sharing.:thumb:

Scott,
Great job on the video and the music. Made me want to watch it again and again and I did. You have a real talent there,sir! Thanks for sharing.:thumb:

Thanks again guys and gals.....

I've never thought of myself as being creative - more of a boxes and lines, black&white kind of guy. But I'm really having fun trying to do something different that keeps peoples attention and also provides something worthwhile of the time-suck for both you and I. Trying to plan my next foray into the video thing soon, so stayed tuned!

And I really couldn't pull this New Mexico - No Plans one off without Gina. She provided plenty of good "A" and "B" roll footage to pick from! :mrgreen:

Back