• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hydration Systems

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Vinyard
I'm looking for a Camelbak or other hydration pack to wear/use on a long summer ride. Looks like I can get a Camelbak Rogue for $58-60. Does anyone have a strong preference for hydration systems while riding?

Camelbak "Mule" is my go-to system. Second is the Camelbak "Siren" being less capacity and just a bladder and no storage.

Wal-Mart actually sells just a bladder/hose/valve for like $10 that you could put in your own backpack, if you have one about the right size. I've seen it in the sporting goods section and the camping section..

I have one of the $10 specials, and I often use this one for hiking because it carries so easily inside a rucksack.

For riding, I have a Camelbak - couldn't tell you the model; it's blue. It's great for the bicycle, and works well for motorcycling, with one exception. I often ride with a back rest to reduce back pain, and having a bladder of water squishing around between me & the seat back can be a bit disconcerting.

An alternative to consider is using a smaller hydration bladder or bottle and keeping it in a tank bag or similar.
This takes the weight off your shoulders. I use a Platypus and I don't find the extra load objectionable, but you certainly know it's there.

Buy a Camalbak Mule, ditch the crappy bladder, buy a 100 OZ Hydrapak bladder and call it a day. The Hydrapak bladders are the bomb (same bladder used in the Geigerrig posted above

I've been using my Costco bought pack and bladder for the past 4-5 years every time I'm on a dirt bike ride, mountain bike ride, or even some longer street bike rides. For $19.99 I'd say I got my money's worth out of it. I do have an Ogio bladder that fits one of my larger packs, and so far after a couple years of more infrequent use than the Costco one it is still holding up fine as well.

Wal-Mart actually sells just a bladder/hose/valve for like $10 that you could put in your own backpack, if you have one about the right size. I've seen it in the sporting goods section and the camping section..

Here's my Summer system:

Get this or something similar, at each gas stop buy an 8# bag of ice and fill up the bladder with ice. Top off with H2O. Put the bladder in that pocket in the back of your jacket and dump the rest of the ice in there too. It's brisk when you first put it on but on a hot summer day the melting ice and evaporative cooling is very nice. Drink it all by the next gas stop to ensure you don't dehydrate and repeat.

^

+1

That's a great procedure.

And here's my technique:

I fill my bladder before the ride then empty my bladder during the ride.

Oh, wait.......that's misleading.......:lol2:

I wore my Camelbak MULE all day yesterday and last Sunday and it worked well. A little awkward getting used to getting the nozzle under my Shoei RF-1100, but managed to figure it out and stay hydrated. Makes a long day in the saddle much more comfortable and don't have to guzzle down a bunch of fluids in a hurry at gas stops. I would really prefer to have something that doesn't have to be worn and stays on the bike, but since I already have a few Camelbaks will just stick with those for now.

I'd consider that the minimum effective size. Mine is 70 oz. and I can drain it in an afternoon if the weather is hot. For serious road trips I'd go with a 100 oz. like the mule.

:tab +1 for the Mule. It is 3 liters. I have drained it by noon when riding in really hot conditions. At lunch stops, I usually ask for a pitcher of water with lots of ice, then dump it in the bladder. It stays cold a long time. I also like all the extra pockets. I use these to carry baby wipes, snacks, spare ear plugs, and other misc stuff.

I've got the Gerber Evader, I don't think they even make them anymore. Very comfortable even w/ 100oz and full of stuff. It has enough room for your lunch/camera/sunscreen/hat/spare mags and will even hold a water bottle in the external mesh pockets. See one seller has them for 30 on ebay. I payed nearly 100 for mine when they were new. You couldn't buy mine for 100 now though; I love it dearly. I need to adapt a 90degree valve for it though.

Instead of wearing a camelback....you get a longer tube and mount it anywhere or get a water jug and mount it on the backseat or rear bag. Long, summer rides will get hot with a camelback on.

Instead of wearing a camelback....you get a longer tube and mount it anywhere or get a water jug and mount it on the backseat or rear bag. Long, summer rides will get hot with a camelback on.

This.

With a slightly longer hose, I put the Camelback on the pillion seat or on top of the waterproof bag on the pillion seat and just reach back for it when I want it. A couple of carabiners lock it to the rok straps whether they are crossed over the seat or a waterproof bag.

Actually, rides are cooler until the ice melts. But, by that time it is time to refill it.

Another alternative is the Geigerrig pressurized hydration system. Spray to drink and can also be used as a spray to cool off.

http://www.geigerrig.com/index.html

Great counsel from everyone. I love the ice in the jacket armor pocket idea. I convinced my family (Father's Day) to spring for a Geiger Rig Shuttle (don't want anything extra on my back or neck). It comes with tie-downs for luggage or tank mounting. And the pressurized feature is awesome. Thank you for your help.

I picked up a Fox Tactical Hydration Pack from one of the Army Navy stores in the area. $40 out the door. Overall; I'd buy another one without a doubt.

I use my pack all day, every day. It goes to work with me, home with me, in the car when I go get groceries, etc. Sometimes, I'll even take it when I check the mail. I ride with it on anywhere I go. It also comes along when I play disc golf, usually 1-2X a week minimum. Pretty much a part of my wardrobe 365 days a year.
I'm definitely not light on it. It gets thrown in the dirt and all that, and comes off and on countless times when I play disc golf (I never throw with it on).

I might have had it for 8 months now and no complaints so far. Some of the stitching is a little frayed here and there along the edges from getting snagged on bushes or caught up on branches. Nothing I can't fix though if it ever comes undone. Quite honestly, for $40 I thought it might not last very long but I've been really happy with it.

The bladder it comes with has held up fine too. Mine's been refilled countless times, and there's no physical signs of wear or tear. Hose is great, no leaks or anything. The padded hose cover on mine is a little frayed on the end, but that's my fault for dragging it through the dirt and just throwing it on the ground.

https://www.foxoutdoor.com/ItemDetails.aspx?cid=1&ccid=6&cscid=26

After selling both Camelbak and Geiggerig for a few years, I will ONLY buy a Geiggerig. I prefer the pressurized system of the Geiggerig.. Both are good products BUT... Camelbak is in bed with the Sierra Club who is trying everything possible to keep motorized bikes/atv and bicycles out of forests/parks...

No offense, but considering I make a living in this industry, it is a conflict of interest as far as I am concerned... Camelbak takes the money they make in this industry and donate a very large chunk to the Sierra Club and to lobbyists that are destroying this industry. :eek2:

Camelbak is in bed with the Sierra Club who is trying everything possible to keep motorized bikes/atv and bicycles out of forests/parks...

No offense, but considering I make a living in this industry, it is a conflict of interest as far as I am concerned... Camelbak takes the money they make in this industry and donate a very large chunk to the Sierra Club and to lobbyists that are destroying this industry. :eek2:

Maybe some more research is needed before throwing the baby out with the bathwater.:thumb: It would appear that every couple years another "REI, Camelbak, or similar outdoors type brand" is in bed with the evil greenies and we should all boycott them so we can show them what's up and who is in charge here.

Honestly I can't see anyone that wants to make money with as large of a diverse crowd as Camelbak drawing a line in the sand like that. It just doesn't make for good business.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2000 9:49 AM
Subject: RE: Sierra Club
Greg --

Thanks for clarifying the issue for me. In 1998, several online chat groups circulated a rumor that CamelBak donated $2.00 for every hydration system
we sold to "green advocacy" groups, and specifically to Sierra Club. This is absolutely untrue. CamelBak does not financially support the Sierra Club, or any other "green advocacy" group, through corporate donations or product donations. It's unfortunate that that rumor is rearing it's ugly head again. As I said in my previous email, we purchase ad space within Sierra Magazine and we sell products to the Sierra Club Outings program -- both with the purpose of promoting the sale of our products to Outdoor enthusiasts. We believe the Outdoors are for everyone. I hope this answers your question. Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can answer other questions or be of more help.

Hydrate or Die!

Lea Morrison
Marketing Manager
CamelBak Products, Inc.
1310 Redwood Way, Suite 200
Petaluma, CA 94954
800.767.8725 x285
707.665.9231 fax

Back