• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding boots/shoes (pavement)

JRW69

Reaction score
How many of you actually ride in motorcycle specific boots/shoes? I'm not talking about a long trip or some sort of specialty ride, but just like every day or something. My biggest concern is being able to comfortably walk around in them like a regular shoes since I am on/off the bike multiple times during my runs. If you do, is there a decent quality/protection boots/shoes without breaking the bank??

Thanks!

Re: Ridind boots/shoes (pavement)

I wear Fox Comp 3s every time, no matter how short or long the ride is. They are comfortably walkable for me but standing around in them gets tiresome. Then again, I fall over a lot... ;-)

I use to ride in my Doc Martin Boots. I had a pair of steal toe pull ons (Doc Martin work boots) that were VERY comfy, and saved my toes in a low speed low side I once had. After that I rode in some lace up Doc Martins, though those were never crash tested. They're comfy and made of quality leather that's reasonably thick.

My Vans held up surprisingly well in my big crash and I wore them for nearly a year afterwards :rofl:

I have a pair of BMW Allround boots which rock for the price. They are comfortable on and off the bike plus they are waterproof.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44790

72607691278_bmw_allroundboots.jpg

More often than not I now wear my retired Danner work boots (ANSI rated protective toes) because they are built for walking, are waterproof and still very serviceable after their days as nice looking uniform boots are over.

4cf571ae-2cee-43ac-9be6-7767c4adc44c_zps078c7143.jpg

Last edited:

Every time I get on the bike. I have read that foot and ankle injuries are the most common motorcycle injury, if perhaps not the most serious.

I have two pairs of Sidi boots. A set of waterproof "strada" (road) boots that I've had for the better part of 10 years. They are extremely comfortable for all day wear and are fine for walking in. On chilly days I wear them around the office all day. I also have a set of vertigo air boots for summer wear. The vertigo line is more track oriented, and while they are comfortable for riding, I can't much recommend them for walking - they are too stiff.

For a full day road riding on the bike the Sidi Tour Rain boot has been the go-to footwear for a few years now. They are pretty good all-around, though they can get a little steamy at times. Overall a great boot that is ready to meet the demands of Texas weather. They are comfortable enough for light to medium walking, but are a motorcycle boot first.

For the daily commute it is usually Merrill hiking boots. They are waterproof, have okay padded ankles, and are comfy to be in all day. They fit in well enough for the dress-casual work environment and have been dependable in changing weather.

In either case the criteria I look for in riding footwear includes adequate ankle protection and a tight enough fit that they won't come off easily in a get-off, along with waterproofing for the unexpected shower or puddle.

Every time I get on the bike. I have read that foot and ankle injuries are the most common motorcycle injury, if perhaps not the most serious.

I have two pairs of Sidi boots. A set of waterproof "strada" (road) boots that I've had for the better part of 10 years. They are extremely comfortable for all day wear and are fine for walking in. On chilly days I wear them around the office all day. I also have a set of vertigo air boots for summer wear. The vertigo line is more track oriented, and while they are comfortable for riding, I can't much recommend them for walking - they are too stiff.

I only quoted that because I was going to type the EXACT combo - the Sidi road boot shape (their track boots are more narrow) fit me perfectly in size 45 - so I have an old leather pair and a newer Air pair.

I also have a pair of Rev It short boots - a little small for my 10 1/2 feet, and I should probably put them into my closet sale list.

I keep a pair of "dress shoes" and a pair of steel-toed boots at work, so I can ride to work with my riding boots and then change at my desk.

Neil

I mostly wear a pair of Revit Apache boots. Easy on and off, waterproof and I can walk around just fine in them. Not cheap though.

Can't say I wear riding specific boots EVERY time I'm on the bike, but pretty close. Think about the dynamics of a crash. Even in a low speed scenario, you have hot engine cases, relatively sharp pegs and levers, and a lot of weight coming down right around your feet. It's very, very easy to get a foot caught under the peg and break an ankle. Plus if you do have any kind of grinding on the pavement without ankle coverage, there is so little meat on the ankle bones, that it is very easy to grind pavement/dirt/gravel into the bone there. Serious infections from stuff like that are a significant problem in foot injuries, and can result in amputations and the like. Not being overly dramatic about it. With modern medicine, there aren't that many injuries that result in amputations these days. But crush an ankle in six places and grind asphalt into the wound during a motorcycle crash and it'll be touch and go on losing it. Not to mention non-crash related protection - insulation from engine heat, shin protection from small rocks that might get kicked up, or toe caps to protect from road debris (saw pics once of a guy who got a small scrap of sheet metal embedded into the top of his foot like a Chinese throwing star).

Fear mongering aside, there are lots of good touring types of boots and casual types of boots that have ankle protection and secure closures and are made for walking around too. Even solidly built work boots will get you the majority of the way to the protection level of a moto-specific boot. Sidi, Alpinestars, TCX, Dainese, Tourmaster, etc. all make options.

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to also make sure I wasn't the only one who wears non-riding boots since that is all I have and wear. They are a sturdy pair of docker boots with a padded ankle, but they are getting old enough now where I have slipped a couple of time in them so I am looking to replace with something. I just can't decide to go with an actual motorcycle boot or a normal boot. Obviously I can get a pretty decent pair of normal boots for about half the price. My son has a pair of Sidi (don't know which ones) and they are really nice. Decisions, decisions!!

If I'm riding more than an hour or so, I'll put on riding boots. I've got super-cheapo Bilt boots that have so far been perfectly acceptable for me. I hiked around Guadalupe Mt Nat Park for a couple hours in them without burning up, and they are very water resistant, maybe not quite waterproof, when test-walking low-water crossings. Really, though, I doubt the protection they offer is much better than hiking boots.

If I'm going around town, I'll wear my normal athletic shoes. This is really just out of laziness and some arbitrary measure of risk.

I'd love to find a mid-height shoe/boot that has a steel toe and real ankle protection that I could wear around without looking like a robot or storm trooper. My hiking boots (vasque sundowners) are OK but pretty heavy for wearing around when off the bike... Maybe something like the Alpinestar CR-4, or Firstgear Mesh Lo.

If price is an issue, used gear can get you MC protection on a "streetwear" budget. I scored a pair of gently used Alpinestars SM-X for $50 bucks over five years ago, and they're still serving me just fine.

The general response seems to be between "they're okay" to "they're not objectionable".
Simply put, those boots aren't made for walkin'.

But it appears you are concerned enough about protection to want to consider a m/c specific boot so you should go ahead and invest in a pair. With all the riding you plan to do, even if you don't wear them for your work runs, you will wear them eventually. :rider:

I would rather have wet feet from water crossings than wet feet every time I put on riding boots. I enjoy riding but not when I'm burning up.

To each their own.

Just don't do anything with laces. Amazing how they manage to get hooked on a peg as you are trying to put a foot down at a stop. Don't ask me how I know...

Good advice Dave, I may have to do like Jeff did and start out with a pair of Bilts. I am in the process of looking for my son a jacket since I pick him up from school, so I need to spend some of the cash that would have gone to a nicer pair of boots for a good jacket for him. Cycle Gear has some pretty decent boots on sale and I got a 20% off card for them anyway, I'll have a look tomorrow. Maybe the wife can order me a pair of Sidi's for our Anniversary!!

Just don't do anything with laces. Amazing how they manage to get hooked on a peg as you are trying to put a foot down at a stop. Don't ask me how I know...

My work boots are side zip so I tie the laces in a square knot and cut them off without the bow.

I had a pair of these Alpinestars when they were only $149 and they were okay. Sure they had a little tiny plastic thing about the size of a quarter to make you think your ankle was protected. The problem with them is that they are a zip and velcro closure system and once they broke in they were way too loose and had not adjustment.

Now I just wear Bates side-zip Goretex boots. I have had the same pair for the past 3-4 years and 70k or so miles. They protect my feet WAY better than the true moto-boot ever wished to be able to do. Sure they have laces, but I adjust the boot to where I need it, and then run the laces back down the middle and they have never moved an inch in 4 years of riding.

Will some motorcycle boots protect you better than non-moto specific boots, sure. But should you listen to anyone that says any "moto-specific" boot is better than a regular boot? Only if you want to throw away some extra cash. My Bates boots are waterproof, protect better than those $250 Alpinestars, and cost me $99.99 from Academy. Not to mention that they have much better soles on them and can be used as hiking boots.

I came across a moto accident a couple of months ago. The rider was wearing laced shoes and his left shoe lace was tangled up in the clutch lever (don't ask me how THAT happened). He had to remove the shoe by pulling it off in order to get out from under the bike. If the bike had been on fire it might have had a slightly different ending.
:eek2:

I wear Oxtar Matrix boots. Comfortable enough that I can wear them for walking-around boots for a few hours at a time.

DFW, after thinking about it more last night and visiting the Academy website, I am going with the Bates GorTex as well. I can get them on base cheaper than Academy and laces aren't issue when you use boot lace zippers. The alteration shop sews them in so they are more water proof then lacing them in which kind of defeats the purpose and only costs an additional $12. The wife said "sure" (so enthusiastic) about Anniversary boots!

I just got a pair of BMW Pro Touring 2 boots because they had them at the dealer for a big discount and only $8 more than the BMW Allrounds. They are very easy for walking around but so are my old Sidi Way Rain boots. Those are my main touring boots. For local rides I use Bates tactical boots or Timberland Pro work boots. Both are very nice with the Bates probably feeling the best (wearing them right now).

Just reviewed the Pro Touring boots in my blog.

tsp
http://www.airheadmoto.com

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 167
Every ride, no matter how long or short. If it isn't raining and I won't be walking too much then I wear my SIDI Vertigo boots, if it will be raining then the Oxtar goretex boots. Nothing with laces, nothing without armor.

I need to redo the velcro on my favorite boots, a pair of SIDI On-Roads that have over 200k road miles on them and they still work well and stay dry inside.

Sidi Adventure Rains. Beside the squeaking, they are an all day boot walking or riding. An Austrailian study placed boots second only to the helmet as safety gear and oddly, it didn't really matter what style of boot. I've hung laces in the controls before, so not more lace-ups for me.

Sidi Adventure Rains. Beside the squeaking, they are an all day boot walking or riding. An Austrailian study placed boots second only to the helmet as safety gear and oddly, it didn't really matter what style of boot. I've hung laces in the controls before, so not more lace-ups for me.

Concur with the Sidi Adventure Rain boots. I bought mine, which were practically new, from a TWTer. They have become some of my favorite boots. Sidi also offers half sizes. Once you try a premium boot, you'll be hooked.

Oxtar Matrix boots for every ride. I wish they were still in production since they were the only riding boots I've ever found in my size. I bought 4 pair, but I'm on the second set now and dread finding new ones if/when I finally wear out the last pair.

I toss of a pair of "regular" shoes in my tank bag or top box if I plan to be walking around a lot at my destination. But for quick shopping trips/errands, the Oxtars are pretty comfy by themselves.

Back