• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I drank the kool-aid... The v-Strom kool-aid.

probably heat shrink tubing if you have an end you can slip them over.

I have a heat gun and tubing if you want to get together to attack it.

I've got the offending wires cut off, and two mangled wire nuts cleaned up. I'd love to do it tomorrow, but I've got a thing at school tomorrow night, and another on Saturday morning.

Are you available Saturday afternoon?

Sent from my handheld universal data mining enabler

Who uses dry batteries? I feel like I just stepped into 1975.

That is all I will use in the KLR. Granted it was designed in the 70's so that may be why they work so well in it.

Yodoc, from what I have read , you want to make sure your oil level is plum full all the time , maybe even a tad over full . This is supposed to keep the top of the stator cooler . The top is where most of the failures are alleged to be. :eek:

Yodoc, from what I have read , you want to make sure your oil level is plum full all the time , maybe even a tad over full . This is supposed to keep the top of the stator cooler . The top is where most of the failures are alleged to be. :eek:

Hmmmm.... Well, i know it's not "plum full", but is within the lines on the sight bubble. I'll see if I have some appropriate oil on the shelf...

Thank you for that! I hadn't read that yet!

That is all I will use in the KLR. Granted it was designed in the 70's so that may be why they work so well in it.

It just feels odd to fill a battery. I haven't done that since I was a kid.

I've got the offending wires cut off, and two mangled wire nuts cleaned up. I'd love to do it tomorrow, but I've got a thing at school tomorrow night, and another on Saturday morning.

Are you available Saturday afternoon?

I have tomorrow (Friday) off and nothing planned yet for Saturday, so either day will work for me.

www.stromtrooper.com › Popular Forums › General V-Strom Discussion‎
Oct 23, 2013 - 6 posts - ‎4 authors
It was burnt in the top about 70% of the stator. ... Common failure, or ? ... ALWAYS keep the oil level in the sight glass to the top line.....always.

I have tomorrow (Friday) off and nothing planned yet for Saturday, so either day will work for me.

Yeah.... I got antsy today. I wanted to ride tomorrow, so I just went and bought some tubing and a ACE hardware brand heatgun and did it while the boys finished dinner. Lol.

Money wasted on tools is well wasted, right? Lol.

www.stromtrooper.com › Popular Forums › General V-Strom Discussion‎
Oct 23, 2013 - 6 posts - ‎4 authors
It was burnt in the top about 70% of the stator. ... Common failure, or ? ... ALWAYS keep the oil level in the sight glass to the top line.....always.

Well, alright, then! Imma do that tonight!

Nah - money is never wasted on tools.

Glad you got it done. :sun:

Me too! I've got to test out Tshelfer's stock screen at max height!

No real riding today, but I did an oil change.

I do not believe that I have ever encountered a engine easier to do an oil change on. It was so easy that it was pleasant! I didn't even change clothes! Ha!

Seems to ride and shift easier. Almost, almost NEW BIKE easier.

Are they all that sensitive to oil changes?

No real riding today, but I did an oil change.

I do not believe that I have ever encountered a engine easier to do an oil change on. It was so easy that it was pleasant! I didn't even change clothes! Ha!

Seems to ride and shift easier. Almost, almost NEW BIKE easier.

Are they all that sensitive to oil changes?

My Sprint was when I got it, and did the first change. I've been using straight Rotella T6 in it since then.

My Sprint was when I got it, and did the first change. I've been using straight Rotella T6 in it since then.

I used valvoline 10w-40 in a motorcycle specific blend, because I know for sure it doesn't have anything in it that would be bad for a wet clutch.

I'm not sure what the next one will be, but I WAS eying that T6 closely. Does your Trump have a wet clutch?

I hadn't heard that about the oil level thing. I do know from experience that if you OVERfill your Vstrom a bit, you'll end up with a very oily air filter. I keep mine about halfway between the marks. Other than the one-time overfill issue, I have no experience with sensitivity to oil levels. Yes, changing the oil is stupidly simple on this bike.

I ended up filling it to not quite all the sight glass. There's a small air bubble, still.

Mine was. I could really tell when it was time for a change.

I'll agree with that. I can tell when my oil is getting pretty old because the shifter starts getting clunky and balky. I do my oil every 2500, and usually the filter at 5K.

I'll agree with that. I can tell when my oil is getting pretty old because the shifter starts getting clunky and balky. I do my oil every 2500, and usually the filter at 5K.

I used to complain about oil changes, and always pushed it as far as I could, but with this thing, it's so easy that except for the money, I'd change it every week! ( not really, but, why not?)

Don't know about the T6 Rotella, but there are about 12 Rotellas these days and not all are good for motorcycles. Some lack additives for high pressures of cam followers, some have additives that ruin the clutch, and some are fine. Be sure to check carefully.

I used valvoline 10w-40 in a motorcycle specific blend, because I know for sure it doesn't have anything in it that would be bad for a wet clutch.

I'm not sure what the next one will be, but I WAS eying that T6 closely. Does your Trump have a wet clutch?

Yes it does have a wet clutch. I try my darndest to keep it that way. :rider:
So did my Shadow, and I used T6 in that too.

Only dry clutch I've seen on motorbikes lately was Ducati before they switched.

Okay, so, the battery was charged as of this morning, showing 13.6 volts, disconnected from the charger.

4 hours later it shows 12.7.

I haven't disconnected it from the bike yet, but something is obviously off. Probably a bum battery.

This is normal readings for a battery. Why do you think it is bad?

_

BC it stranded me at the DMV.

Well, that and it dropped almost a volt without anything running.

Back