• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Maybe might possibly want a DS bike

That's part of the decision problem, figuring I'd need a trailer and all that entails and a 2 hour drive up to Huntsville when I wanted to ride. If I could find enough places nearby to just ride to my ride it might alter the decision process.

Just ride there with some aggressive street tires on your new DS. Just be sure and stick to the right lane :rider:

I'm afraid to ask...but does the TW balloon tire make riding it on dirtroad very plush like a Cadillac?

Oh better than that. the tires are so high flotation that they practically float on the surface of the road. like an airboat that skims over the water you have a cushy air suspension like ride. and with a heavy tailwind the fat rear tire acts like a sail and It'll push your speed up another 10 miles per hour. and you don't need ground clearance when riding over obstacles. you just bounce the balloon tires into it and you'll go airborne enough to bunny hop right over anything under 3 feet. Haha

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Oh better than that. the tires are so high flotation that they practically float on the surface of the road. like an airboat that skims over the water you have a cushy air suspension like ride. and with a heavy tailwind the fat rear tire acts like a sail and It'll push your speed up another 10 miles per hour. and you don't need ground clearance when riding over obstacles. you just bounce the balloon tires into it and you'll go airborne enough to bunny hop right over anything under 3 feet. Haha
You forgot, fill them with helium and the bike is 10lbs lighter. :mrgreen:

To answer Ki's question, the TW tires aren't actually balloon tires like a 4wheeler, they're just real big and wide. With 20psi in them they're just as firm as a regular tire. I guess if you only put 5psi in them they'd be mushy like a 4wheeler but the bike would be uncontrollable. Another thing, you cannot ride a TW with a flat tire, not even 3', the tires have no sidewall strength and flatten out like a car tire.

So if one was to look into other bikes that are enough bigger to actually ride 50-75 miles to get to the riding location but didn't want any higher seat than possible and not a whole lot heavier than the 200-250 bikes what would be on the suspect list?

If weight is an issue you're stuck with KTM and the price. (Not a bad thing to be stuck with, except the price.) Frankly the catch from Friendswood to the trails north of town is going to be speed. A DR200 will go close the speed limit of 65. A WR250 may get close to the speed limit of 70. Get Rman to tweak a TW 200 and you should get the same kind of speed. The catch is that may not be enough speed when trying to manage traffic on a Houston Interstate. I'm no particular fan of the KLR650, but it is a good starter for dirt roads, fairly indestructible and cheap. I'd prefer a Funduro myself but I am a fan of BMW.

A few shots of "Dual Sport"

One of JMZ's gravel bikes.
DSCN2700small_zps42e65a15.jpg

Scrambler's Dual Sport (he wanted knobbies for the mud.)
Scrambler_zpsa150b877.jpg

Rman in serious dual sport territory
RockyHill2.jpg

Wet Funduro
DSCN1893s.jpg

Buy to a budget and keep in mind that the smaller bikes will be better to learn on, but are not suited to the highway. But there are a lot of bikes out there that will handle gravel and pavement.

And the bike with the most dirt road miles in the world is... a Honda.

So if one was to look into other bikes that are enough bigger to actually ride 50-75 miles to get to the riding location but didn't want any higher seat than possible and not a whole lot heavier than the 200-250 bikes what would be on the suspect list?

I rode a 6-hp 100cc Super Cub-clone thru Houston (from Friendswood to Jersey Village), avoiding interstates and major highways. I went thru scary ghettos, the medical center, Rice, Heights, Jersey Village and then out to GW Park. It was actually not bad. So you can get up to the north side on almost any bike if you plan wisely.

No there is not. Every inch of Harris county is paved. Also every inch of surrounding county is too.

The nearest good stuff would be up in north and east of Huntsville...atleast 80 miles away.

Why do I still live in this skeetos infested flat concrete jungle.

Almost every time we ride we come across some unsaved roads. Whole you are correct Harris county is bad for DS, just a few miles north around magnolia are plenty of chances to run into unsaved roads. You have to change how you think about roads. Riding along say 105 look left and right and and ask yourself: where does that road go to? We discovered some of the funnest roads that way.

Both the WR250r and the KLR650 will do precisely what you think you want. The CRF250L is a cheaper and lower inseam option (I have one of each of these bikes). My sons KTM690r does the kind of riding you are describing EXTREMELY well (again with a higher seat) but does seem to need more maintenance then our other bikes.

You don't go into a lot of your riding philosophy but I prefer speeds under 45mph. Much more comfortable without the roar of the wind. The WR250r and the CRF250L both do these kind of speeds easily. Both can go fast enough on the interstate to keep up with the slower trucks. I live on the Magnolia side of the Woodlands and just north of the woodlands is a fairly twisty (for this area) 35mph/45mph speed limit route up to Sam Houston NF which has 30mph speed limit broken pavement and / or gravel roads.

Heavy bikes on gravel roads (Like the KLR650 and heavier) appear to have a tendency to break legs. But I must admit that my KLR is better on the highway then my 250s (my Tiger800XC is even better!). A stock WR250r might be just as good as a stock KLR on 60 - 70 mph speed limit roads. However, the stock WR250r has a first gear that is fairly tall so we added a smaller sprocket up front to add peppiness off the line. Did the same thing to my CRF250L but did it for better trail performance.

IF you have a truck (or larger SUV) you can get a hitch carrier to easily carry the 250's (much easier to load then a pickup truck bed and takes less place to store then a full trailer). The hitch load must be rated at least 100 pounds higher then the bike weight. I prefer a 600 pound hitch weight (or higher). A 400 pound hitch weight works but seems just a bit flimsy to me (Most of these bikes are 320+ pounds with fuel and accessories). Nice thing about a truck/carrier/trailer is you can get beyond the boring flat roads much faster and more comfortable (leaving more time for riding the good stuff).

One could come to "Egypt" just NW of the woodlands and launch right into the kind of ride you are describing (say about30% of time on dirt, 40% on moderately twisty pavement, 30% on long straights).

Just food for though.

That's the current biggest question. I have no clue where I'd ride it. I think I like the idea of riding somewhere that doesn't have only concrete as far as the eye can see. There's definitely lots to think about before I make a decision.

The DS riding in this region is pretty limited and extremely boring after just a little time. Once past the true beginner stage, for any real enjoyment, a visit to neighboring states is required.

I have a 2011 WRX 250 (the supermoto version) it is not too tall seat wise and does great on street or trail (for a 250) It will do 80 down the boulevards, and had no problem doing the Desert Challenge out in Big Bend. They handle well, are extreme reliable, low maintanence, tough as nails, will out run the other 250 dual sports, and are fun to ride on or off the pavement. For a multi faceted entry level dual sport bike, I feel it offers the greatest range of use.

I have a 2011 WRX 250 (the supermoto version) it is not too tall seat wise and does great on street or trail (for a 250) It will do 80 down the boulevards, and had no problem doing the Desert Challenge out in Big Bend. They handle well, are extreme reliable, low maintanence, tough as nails, will out run the other 250 dual sports, and are fun to ride on or off the pavement. For a multi faceted entry level dual sport bike, I feel it offers the greatest range of use.

Seem to hold their value exceptionally well also.

I don't know if the comment about riding style was meant for me but if so here goes. My hero was the tortoise not the hare. If I do any offroad riding I have no interest in the thrill of a speed induced near death experience. I just want to ride along and enjoy seeing things around me that aren't concrete, glass and/or motorized except maybe for a few other riders now and then.

I have a Ford Fusion so a hitch mount won't work. I can't see spending the money for a hitch, trailer etc. as well as nowhere really to store it. If I get into this it would have to be with a bike I could ride to the ride. If I were interested in strictly off road I'd probably look at a 100-125cc bike. That would be plenty to have a see the scenery offroad ride I'm sure.

I suppose and SUPPORT. . .

a DIRT BIKE made street legal is also a valid point as well.
Alot less expensive. maybe an older xr250 or older 4stroker ktm.
To each his own i guess.
Last 4 i had were not made for the street,
had incurred the cost that made TOAD worthy. more enjoyable to me
imho best of luck keep looking

I don't know if the comment about riding style was meant for me but if so here goes. My hero was the tortoise not the hare. If I do any offroad riding I have no interest in the thrill of a speed induced near death experience. I just want to ride along and enjoy seeing things around me that aren't concrete, glass and/or motorized except maybe for a few other riders now and then.

I have a Ford Fusion so a hitch mount won't work. I can't see spending the money for a hitch, trailer etc. as well as nowhere really to store it. If I get into this it would have to be with a bike I could ride to the ride. If I were interested in strictly off road I'd probably look at a 100-125cc bike. That would be plenty to have a see the scenery offroad ride I'm sure.

Hmm... Sure sounds like you would get along just fine with a TW. Maybe talk RMan into showing you how to open up the breathing, then swap your sprocket gearing from stock (14 front x 50 rear) to 15 x 47. Those two mods would have the little Tee Dub buzzing down the road at speeds up into the seventies, while still retaining enough low end first gear grunt to ride technical trail sections in the Ozarks. I have owned 3 of 'em already, so I am speaking from actual experience, not theoretical suspicions.

one skoot, not mentioned yet, is the DR350

if you can find '99 DR350SEX, in decent condition, it will fill your needs/desires, both physically & economically

i have one that has packed my LARDUSS BOTTOMUSS MAXIMUSS quite happily, over all types of terrain

i lowered it 1" & added a 4.2 gal tank

it comes w/ a reasonably good suspension system & a 6 speed tranny

i rode it from SEALY > GALVESTON w/ the TWT group, last spring, w/o any hiccups

riding up n down the beach was a blast(wish it had been possible to go on to SABINE PASS, that trip :-()

bobsrobertsampmine_zpsff70f2b6.jpg

i have trailered it to THE OZARKS & BIG BEND, where it performed w/ honor :clap:

hwy23turnerbendstore_zps647e9368.jpg

DRBigBend_zpsf2d07cca.jpg

not to mention shared fuel w/ a GUZZLER :lol2: , out in BIG BEND

they are getting scarce but i feel the search might be worth your investment

just one old fat man's 2¢ worth

sw

I've looked at the TW and I really like how it looks with the big tires. Is there a sprocket option that only requires changing one and not both? I'm not familiar with the DR350 but will have to look into it as well.

I've looked at the TW and I really like how it looks with the big tires. Is there a sprocket option that only requires changing one and not both? I'm not familiar with the DR350 but will have to look into it as well.

there is a plethora of stuff on the DR350, on ADVrider forum, @:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230695

if you end up considering one, drop me a PM

due to health/medical reasons, i am getting out of the DS/dirt bike business and SADLY mine is going on the block

&, yes, there are sprocket options that will allow you to swap out just one or both, on a T-DUB

there is, also, a DS tyre option that offers a less aggressive pattern, while still being a good DS tread

having had two T-DUBS, i can honestly say THEY ARE A HOOT TO RIDE, as well as being very ECONOMICABLE to own/ride

good luck w/ your research/quest

sw

Just to muddy the water a little more for you. The TTR250 Yammy is a great little play bike. It will go anywhere at Red River, Hidden Falls, Big Bend or most any other place you want to go. The subframe is nonexistent so carrying camping gear beyond a change of clothes and a rainsuit wouldn't be a good idea. Stock gearing is 13/52 and is pretty buzzy at anything close to highway speeds. However the little 250 will pull a 15 on the cs quite easily which will let it cruise at about 65 if you are just tying together pavement to dirt roads or riding some place like Crooked Creek. It did the first day of the aborted East Texas 500 Last year in all the mud with the 15 on the cs. I'm not a big guy at about 170 lb in gear but my son has borrowed it to ride at Hidden Falls and he is about 250 with gear and it was just ok for him (13 tooth on the CS). It is tall at 36 inches but relatively light at 275 wet. It can be lowered about 1 1/2 but you lose some ground clearance. I believe the TTR230 replaced this bike in the Yamaha lineup and I don't know anything about that bike. It has great low end torque I think it would be a good bike to start riding DS on and depending on what you want to do could be all the bike you ever need.
This is just to say that if you come across one that is in good shape and the right price don't ignore it just because you don't see or hear a lot about them. Another good thing about them is you won't be spending a lot of money replacing worn out rear tires due to excessive wheel spin.
All of the bikes previously mentioned will probably do what you want to do. If you are a bigger guy the DR350 at the right price would be hard to beat.

Just to muddy the water a little more for you.....

I believe the TTR230 replaced this bike in the Yamaha lineup and I don't know anything about that bike. It has great low end torque I think it would be a good bike to start riding DS on and depending on what you want to do could be all the bike you ever need.
This is just to say that if you come across one that is in good shape and the right price don't ignore it just because you don't see or hear a lot about them. Another good thing about them is you won't be spending a lot of money replacing worn out rear tires due to excessive wheel spin.
All of the bikes previously mentioned will probably do what you want to do. If you are a bigger guy the DR350 at the right price would be hard to beat.

yes, the TTR230 did replace the TTR250

the hiccup there is that they aren't street legal, to start with

it would have to have a LIGHTING KIT installed, which is a definite possibility

the TTR230 has the same power plant as the XT225

i've had 2-230's & 1-225(the street legal version)

ALL were great machines, simple, w/ anvil dependability...

sw

That is a very nice Bultaco, but look at the pogo stick style rear shocks and how/where they are mounted. You won't enjoy the way it rides or handles compared to a modern bike. Great piece of nostalgia though! Also, don't get sucked in on any of those street tread tires for the TW. I have worn out 2 of those Dunlop block tread tires on my TWs, and can say for certain that; 1) They did not make any real difference in; smoothness going down the highway, didn't improve top end speeds, or offer better road grip, and was no better on the lasting durability either. 2) They are not even close to offering comparable off road performance. They slip and slide all over the place in mud, (or even on a wet lawn). Not as good in sand as the standard Trail Wing tires either. So other than looking maybe a bit more performance oriented, those after market tires actually don't work as well for that bike as the original equipment.

Back