• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Another Colorado Ride Report--Got Dirt?

Yes, I've read about the steps! Not for me. That had to be a trip on your 950. If I understand right, Black Bear is one way?? If so are the steps going up or down?

The top portion is downhill only. Some motorcyclists have been to known to sneak in an uphill climb but I have no direct knowledge of that.:eek2:

During the summer, jeeps and all the vehicles are lined up at the top waiting to go down, and there is often a county sheriff there observing.

Wait till you see the pictures of the Rico singletrack. As far as exposure and error margin, it makes Black Bear look tame. I didn't think I had a fear of heights or sensitivity to drop offs, etc. but you cannot help but getting vertigo to some degree. One of our guys pretty much had a full on panic attack at one point. You are motivating me to finish my story. Maybe tonight I will work on it. I still have a ton more to share.

Last edited:
"One of our guys pretty much had a full on panic attack at one point."

Me! And then what, lol!

"One of our guys pretty much had a full on panic attack at one point."

Me! And then what, lol!

You would be fine, I promise. There are positives and negatives about a group ride, but with a good group, which this absolutely was, a big positive is support. I am getting ahead of myself, but we helped each other walk our bikes through the worst parts and gave each other encouragement and support. If that means rerouting to find a way to a forest road, so some of the riders can catch a break, then that is what you do. No biggie.

We took a guy on a 690 through the worst part of Calico Trail (the signature trail at Rico). This is a guy who had never even been on mountain single track. He lived to tell about it, drank a few beers with us that night and laughed, AND still got up and rode with us some the next day.

Last edited:
Rico, Colorado is located in a narrow valley beside the Dolores River, around 20 miles or so generally south of Telluride. For two places so close, they couldn’t be more different. Million dollar 600 square foot fake Victorian “cottages” in Telluride vs. a town that, if you took a black and white picture, could in many ways still pass for the 1890’s. I was more comfortable in Rico, needless to say. We stayed three nights at The Mineshaft Inn, a hotel/hostel which is currently your only choice there. The other option for lodging was apparently bought by Telluride Ski Resort and turned into a dorm for the resort workers. The Mineshaft Inn has character, and we rented the entire place out.

Check out this cool old wood stove in the parlor at the Mineshaft. American made and old I am sure.
SAM_0036_zpsitk2h3g2.jpg

Thursday our ride leader took the day off, and we decided to ride Calico, the “feature” trail, I guess, if there is one in the area. Eilon on his 690 wanted to try some single track, and what better trail to take a beginner on a 330 pound bike? None of us had ridden it before and I can tell you ignorance is bliss, truly. We rode it from the upper end to the lower end, in mostly a north to south direction. The trail is 20 miles long and follows the ridge line of several peaks (Elliot, Sockrider, Storm) to the west of Rico. It starts around 10k feet and immediately climbs straight through the trees until you reach Elliott Mountain and the end of the treeline. The 690 did OK, but it was way too much bike for the trails, and Eilon was a bit whipped. We all pushed and pulled on it to get it up some steep climbs. We had only gone a few miles in the first hour. Soon, the trail became a shelf trail as it wound its way past 12K feet.

This is what it I call a shelf trail. It falls off 800 feet estimated to the right.
SAM_0042_zpstnnqrmk6.jpg

Then, this.
SAM_0043_zpsjfnfwqta.jpg

A rock slide took out part of the trail here and it was pretty uncomfortable crossing it. There is no way you would have stopped if you made a mistake and went off the side. I was in front of my buddy Joel, and had stopped while I fought off vertigo. He asked me what was going on, and I told him I was scared. He said he was too. Somehow that made me feel better and I got across—we all did with each other’s help. The trail went up to a peak and we stopped for lunch. We were maybe four miles into the trail.

Here is a bigger picture to give perspective. You can clearly see the rock slide area and see how far you would tumble. Yes, it has happened.
SAM_0049_zps2npmzv8l.jpg

As usual, the views were incredible. Somewhere down there is Rico.
SAM_0040_zpsgh2ghyxa.jpg

Looking north towards the Lizard Head Wilderness and the feature that gave said Wilderness its name.
SAM_0034_zpsmtyosrcb.jpg

We realized we had to get the 690 out and one of the other guys was ready too. Consulting our Lat 40 map, we took the East Fork Trail down two miles to a forest road. Eilon had a GPS so he was good from there and the other rider going back followed. We went right back up the way we came, two miles of a constant climb, not overly tough, but man I got tired hanging on. We got back on Calico and immediately had more endless shelf trail to deal with.

Around Storm peak, single track trails from all sides of the mountains converge like spokes on a wagon wheel. The amount of pure single track there is mind blowing. It would take weeks to explore.

It was getting later and after consulting the map, we took yet another single track, Burnett Creek Trail, back down toward Rico, It was a blast! It turned into a jeep trail eventually and came out right in downtown Rico. We had made it over halfway through Calico, having to help bulldog a 690 through it slowed us down some. Don’t worry, we will finish it.

Last edited:
Alright y'all, bear with me as I get this report buttoned up.

Rico has lots of choices for eating and drinking, as long as you choose the only one--The Enterprise. Purported (by them) to be the 5th oldest bar in Colorado, it looks it. They actually had some good local brews on tap and the grill served up burgers, pizzas, etc. We ate there all three nights.

So, it was a given that we would finish Calico. With our ride leader back, but a couple of other drop outs, we went right back up Burnett Creek Trail to where we left off the day before. Being more of a lean and mean group and fortified by confidence (after a good night's sleep), Calico trail went right back to exposed shelf trail, more technical then the day before. This day we dealt with thee foot step ups on 18 inch wide trail. The trail then began to descend through the trees and ended with about 20 switchbacks. Just like that we were done.

Me playing around with the shutter timer to catch a happy group at the south terminus of Calico. One of the guys in the picture had ridden 12 miles of highway with a gas can so we could all refuel to continue our ride.
SAM_0055_zpskfub74hx.jpg

We continued another 10 miles or so (on the pavement), nearly to Dolores now, to catch Stoner Mesa (wonder how someone 100 years ago knew Colorado would legalize weed.) :lol2: Stoner Mesa is 12 miles of single track bliss. From the lower end, you climb 25 switchbacks to a flat mesa that has some of the funnest (word?) singletrack around. A fitting end to our stay in Rico. At the end of Stoner, we rode a county road all the way back around through Dunton and came out north of town. With the trails going down all sides of the mountains, you are left with some long road rides to get back around.

The next morning had us up and riding back to the cabin. We took off up Scotch Creek Road south of Rico, connected with a county road that came out at Durango mountain resort, and took a jeep road called Lime Creek up to Molas Pass outside of Silverton. We continued though Silverton, back across Stony Pass and all the way back to the cabin on the jeep road. That was that.

Well, my verbosity is annoying even me, but I hope someone enjoyed this report as much as I have enjoyed reading yours. RG here at TWT told me I would be ruined by the trails in Rico, and he was right. On the epic scale, they are up there at the top, and we did not even scratch the surface there.

I’ll leave you with one more aspen picture, this one taken right at the top of Lime Creek where it intersects 550 south of Silverton. Happy trails.
SAM_0058_zpsebkfs7qd.jpg

Last edited:
You would be fine, I promise. There are positives and negatives about a group ride, but with a good group, which this absolutely was, a big positive is support. I am getting ahead of myself, but we helped each other walk our bikes through the worst parts and gave each other encouragement and support. If that means rerouting to find a way to a forest road, so some of the riders can catch a break, then that is what you do. No biggie.

We took a guy on a 690 through the worst part of Calico Trail (the signature trail at Rico). This is a guy who had never even been on mountain single track. He lived to tell about it, drank a few beers with us that night and laughed, AND still got up and rode with us some the next day.

Not sure about that, lol! 18 inches wide with 3 foot steps and a 800 foot drop! Yikes! Great pictures and ride report. My hats off to you guys.

Thanks Vinny and Rob. I had some more stories to tell, but I sort of lost my oomph and it was already long enough. I appreciate that you guys liked it.

Rob--by the second day that exposed trail on Calico was easier. We did not have "jelly legs" as bad as the day before from the drop offs. I think your mind just adapts to it. It is all mental. Where the steps were--I think it is called Pucker Pass--the drop was on the left and it was not as dramatic as the pictures I took of the trail earlier. For some reason I did better with the drop off on the left side instead of the right side.

The running joke between all of us was that none of us was was scared of heights. We were just scared of FALLING from heights.:lol2:

Last edited:
I can't imagine the 690 going through the rock slide area.

I can't imagine the 690 going through the rock slide area.

It was sort of nuts. About that time, Eilon, the guy from Israel that was riding the bike, told us it was his birthday. We told him that his present would be that we would get him to solid ground. Actually I might have a picture of that spot with his bike. Let me check and I will post it if so.

Needless to say, the beer was on us that night. He spoke perfect English. but he did learn a new phrase--"shelf trail". :mrgreen: Before we hit that nasty section, there was a rocky, stepped, rock chute--very steep climb. It took two of us pushing and pulling the 690 plus Eilon paddling and pushing. About halfway up, that dude was exhausted. I mean he was having a hard time catching his breath. I told him I would ride his bike up the rest of the way, and would not let me. He said he wanted to make it himself. He really had a blast hanging out with us, and us with him as well.

Ha. I might have a picture of the mighty 690 on that spot. It blends in with the rocks but I think it is right behind my buddy Joel on the 2015 300 xcw. The 690 had one of those aftermarket fairing with the sliding windshield and you can clearly see it. Joel is in the orange gear pulling on the 690 trying to get a straight shot across the bad spot. It was barely tire width.
3d0fdd9c-089b-4447-95a7-ee0d11af325d_zpsxlwaq80k.jpg

Last edited:
John, thanks for posting. I have been enjoying all the ride reports from everyone, especially the colorado ones. I just recently got back from moving my brother and his wife up to Fort Collins. Got to spend a day hiking in the Rocky Mtn. National Park and it was awesome. The whole time I was there, I kept thinking how great it would be to come back with motorcycle. I really enjoyed finally seeing Aspen trees in person at the park, but that last picture you posted of the Aspens is awesome. Well done!:clap:

John thanks for sharing. I have done some elk hunting in some of that area north of Delores. I hope to get there with the bike some day.

Greenhornet--Thank you for the nice feedback. We love Rocky Mountain National Park too, and the area around it.

fboldcrow--We managed OK, but it was a bit dicey. A mess for sure would have been if any bike or anyone tumbled over the edge! Thanks for reading.

bwdmax--There were hunters out everywhere in the Rico area. Bow hunters for elk is what I am assuming. You would love the riding there. I have a bunch more to explore, plus now that my wife saw the pictures she wants to go too!

Last edited:
Yep. That's the real deal right there. Great report!

This is just over the top... I must get up there in the Fall to see these colors.

SAM_0058_zpsebkfs7qd.jpg

Yep. That's the real deal right there. Great report!

This is just over the top... I must get up there in the Fall to see these colors.

Well, if you remember our last group ride, we made it, what, five miles before our buddy's lower leg exploded. Just haven't got to ride much lately so these 460 miles felt awesome.

I had never seen orange aspens before those in the picture. This picture is also one of my favorites.

I also enjoyed your Colorado report. Made me get off my rear and compile mine.

Last edited:
Nice John! Rico is on board for next year... Fritz told me he does not ride TP anymore it's all Rico now.

Fritz? Fritz Kadlec? Fritz is one of my old riding friends if that is who you speak of. I had a bad dirt bike crash up near Gunnison on a ride with Fritz six or seven years ago and was laid up in the Gunnison hospital for several days. Fritz really helped me out then. He stored my bike at his shop and then brought it to me when I got out of the hospital and got a ride back to Lubbock.

He is a blast to ride with. We had a crazy ride in Moab one year too that I will never forget.

Awesome report. Having just come back from seeing the Aspens on my FJR, this report definitely makes me want to get the KTM going, do some riding to get back into it and take my buddy in Denver up on his offer to lead a ride next summer. I need to do some Colorado dirt riding as I've never done it. I love some of the places that are just way out there that a dirt bike can get you to.

Awesome report. Having just come back from seeing the Aspens on my FJR, this report definitely makes me want to get the KTM going, do some riding to get back into it and take my buddy in Denver up on his offer to lead a ride next summer. I need to do some Colorado dirt riding as I've never done it. I love some of the places that are just way out there that a dirt bike can get you to.

Thanks.

The best thing about it is you can get away from the crowds. The major mountain pass roads are more accessible than ever, and the traffic is significant. However, we saw zero other bikes on the Alpine Trail, and only one other bike the whole time on the single track in Rico. There was lots of traffic on the dirt and jeep roads though.

We traveled through Silverton the last day on the way back, The town was wall to wall people. So different now than say 30 years ago. Silverton has gone from a cool old western town to sort of a caricature of itself. Reminds me of the fake western town at Six Flags now.

Last edited:
Back