• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW - Would You Buy It?

LOL ...

The wonderfulness of living in the sticks is no traffic.

A new FJR es with 6.speed and ride by wire electronic suspension etc would be tough competition at $18000. Also sneaky fast.

I lifted the bars, lowered the pegs and bought an extended shifter and it made a huge difference in comfort.

As a reference point, I paid just over $9K for my 09 R1200RT with 9200 miles on it.

Yep those things that make it fit are very good, I have done all those to both my GT and GS. I have ridden 21 hours in one day on the GS, now will do it on the GT when it comes home :rider:

TX White Knight,
Who rebuilt the unit?
My disaster was two years ago and at that time no one could perform the service. It's what keeps me from buying another beemer with ABS II.
New unit was $2350.00 + install at the time.

ModuleMaster

888-892-0764

I think the older units prior of 06/07 cost a lot more but give them a call or if you know which type it is look at the link I posted.

for my 07 it was not hard at all, pull left side fairing, drain brake fluid, 4 tubes, i electrical connection and a couple of screws. turn around time about 2 weeks and $250 + shipping

That looks like a pretty good deal. That seat looks like a Russel, the best for all day cruising, it has the high dollar adjustable lowered foot pegs, and are those adjustable bar risers on all 1300GT's? Looks like it has the best farkles already on it, and especially cruise control. I see some long mileage trips in Brians future.

A new FJR es with 6.speed and ride by wire electronic suspension etc would be tough competition at $18000. Also sneaky fast.

Not sure how that's tough competition to a $7773 bike. I mean, those new bikes are super duper sweet, but He could buy two of these and have tire and gas money left over.

Like I said, this isn't even for me; it's for my buddy Brian, who has a TWT logon but lost it years ago, and is following this read-only. Are you reading this, Brian? Time to find your logon id, Brother.

Tim, pm me his email address(or addresses if he has a couple) and I'll look up his account, reset his pw and send it to him.

My mistake. Mine was the 2006 ABS3 which is not rebuildable according to BMW and Module Master.
Cuzn Bob even cringed when he saw it.

Certainly would check which module is on the bike before purchase though.

Friend of mine had this bike, no issues. If all of the recalls, service, etc is current I wouldn't hesitate for the price. Looks good.

Not sure how that's tough competition to a $7773 bike. I mean, those new bikes are super duper sweet, but He could buy two of these and have tire and gas money left over.

I guess I mis-read the price. I saw $13K. Couldn't see the page's side panel on my phone.

Hello all and thank you for your input regarding what looks to be my impending Beemer purchase. I was not actively looking but got a call from the salesman who knew I was kicking tires over the last few months. I almost bought a slick 2014 Honda F6B from him, but just could not swallow the $14k price tag at this point with all of commitments than I have that already do their best to keep me from riding as much as I'd like.

I had dusted off the way under-utilized Strom a few weeks ago for some riding with my buddy Tim and my gently wife reminded me after saddling up for a couple of hours with me, a few of the reasons that I do not ride as much as I would like.

For starters, every time that I want to take it out, she will excitedly want to have some time on it behind me. Tat's a good thing. But her excitement is always a lot more short lived that I would like as she is just not very comfortable on the Strom for long periods. So, it is hard for me to justify a lot of solo riding just because I enjoy it and she does not. Kinda' creates a kink in an otherwise great marriage where the wife loves to ride, right?

She is only 5 feet tall and as such needs a higher riding position to enjoy the forward sights as much as I do. She also REALLY wants a padded backrest, which the Strom does not have (and I am not willing to rig up...) as well as a heated seat.

Enter the K1300GT. She loves it. I love it. And those two things alone are almost enough to make me run down with cash in hand and drag it home. I am very pleased that those of you out there in TWT World have given me some legitimate things to consider regarding the bike that make me come out of my excitement daze and I thank you all for that.

I placed a deposit on it to hold it for me and I am headed back to the seller on Tuesday to research the actual service records - he has them all, and confirm a few other details based upon all of your suggestions. Once all of that has been satisfied sufficiently, I will be negotiating final price "out the door" and then will be actively looking for a new owner and home for my Strom.

When I can figure out how to post some pics I will see if I can get it on here for sale. Without going down into garage (which would require me to stand and move...haha) the details of the Strom are this: I purchased from the original owner about 4 1/2 years ago with 5,300 miles on it. I have since put on a bit less than 6,00 additional miles and have changed the oil 3 times during that period. It has the original paint-matched factory Suzuki hard saddlebags and rear box, original windshield with removable top & side extensions, heated grips, chain oiler, new LED blinkers at all 4 corners, new Anakee 3 rear tire with less than 200 miles on it, (front is a Shinko with about 1,500 on it) backrest for comfortable solo rides, tank guard, highway pegs, throttle lock and a battery tender. The seat on it is from a 650 so its about one inch lower than stock, which works well for me as I am a diminutive 5ft 9in tall :lol2: Everything works great and if I had room, I would keep it as I love it and all the places that it has taken me, trouble-free.

If you would like to know more about it or know someone who would be interested in in, feel free to contact me here or ask Tshelfer as he knows the bike well.

Brian

Hey Brian - After 4 years, post #1. Congratulations! :mrgreen: Don't worry about pictures; I know how to do all that stuff and will walk you through it so you can get a want ad posted. Text me when you pick up the Beemer; I'll happily help you "ride it like you stole it", as you put it after church this morning.

This link below is exactly what my bike looks like but I also have the drivers removable backrest, the engine guards, and the highway pegs. But generally, the exact color and everything else. Because of the condition, low miles and farkles I think I will start the bidding at about $3,300.

Thought?

search

Thanks Tim!

I just tried to post a pic link from the web, but no luck :(

I'll send you the link via email and see if that is even possible to post....

early congratulation Brian, when the dust settles let me know and we can get together and you guys can try my GT ergo's to see if it is something you will need, I have peg lowers, bar backs and Russell Day Long seats both rider and passenger.

:rider:

Okay, guys. Here are a couple of pictures of Brian's bike from a 2014 trip. In fact, here are a couple of pictures of Brian. Say hi, Brian.

2014-10203_zpsee550d9e.jpg

2014-102025_zps80d61dd3.jpg

Back