• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bandit 1250 rear axle nut?

fjlee

Reaction score
I have a 2016 USA Bandit 1250.

I periodically take motorcycle trips that cover lottsa miles, use lottsa time.

I like to be prepared for a possible chain adjustment or wheel removal while "on the road".

I'm wondering what is the best tool to carry to loosen/tighten that 36MM, 72 ft/lbs nut ? Seems like it's gonna take a heavy bulky tool to accomplish this?

FjLee Denver CO

Have you checked the factory tools that came with the bike??

I assume there's a tool bag, my 2007 has one and the correct wrench for the axle nut.

Thank you for the response.

Yes, I checked the tool bag.

I bought this bike new, and it does have an under the seat tool bag, crammed full of the typical cheap Japanese motorcycle tools. But nothing remotely close to what's required to loosen/tighten this big nut.

My 12 inch Crescent won't fit it either, but even if it did, I'd still hafta carry a 2 foot "cheater bar".

What I use here in my shop is a 1/2 inch drive 36MM socket, twisted by my big long-handled 1/2 inch drive torque wrench. But that's waaay to much bulk and weight to carry around on the bike.

FjLee Denver CO

Some company had tire tool for bike with a box end axel tool on handle end. May have been Cycle Gear.

I thought the same thing, but both Motion Pro and Cycle Gear only go up to 32mm.

Yup.......that 36MM rear axle nut is a BIG honker! The only reason that I have a socket that big is that my FJ1100 uses that size nut on the C/s sprocket.

FjLee................................................ 2016 Bandit Yamaha FJ1100

Why can't you use the one in the toolset? It's a flat tool specially for the axle nut and you can fit a short handle on it (the one you put on the rear suspension adjuster) and use your foot to put pressure. (or knock on it with a stone laying on a side of a road :))

Why can't you use the one in the toolset? It's a flat tool specially for the axle nut and you can fit a short handle on it (the one you put on the rear suspension adjuster) and use your foot to put pressure. (or knock on it with a stone laying on a side of a road :))

Because there isn't one in the toolset! Keep in mind, this rear axle nut requires a 36MM wrench.

The 1250 I bought new new is a 2016 USA model, and the included tool kit does not have a 36MM wrench/socket in it.

A 36MM nut is pretty large, and 72 ft/lbs of torque to loosen/tighten this nut is substantial.

FjLee 2016 Suz. Bandit 1250

You don't have this? https://goo.gl/photos/6t51T2QTkNBXJy6S7
Hmm, can't insert the image

2wheelieadv......."Thank you" for the response.

To answer your question:

If the photo you inserted is a photo of a TRUE 36MM wrench, then, "No, my new Bandit tool kit does not contain the wrench you show."

Will the wrench you show function with a nut that measures about 1.412 inches across opposing flats? It's possible that the wrench you display is smaller than 36MM.

Maybe the Suz. dealer got into my tool kit, and stole the 36MM wrench, before he sold me the bike?

Again, "Thank you".......

FjLee Denver CO

To answer your question:

If the photo you inserted is a photo of a TRUE 36MM wrench, then, "No, my new Bandit tool kit does not contain the wrench you show."

Will the wrench you show function with a nut that measures about 1.412 inches across opposing flats? It's possible that the wrench you display is smaller than 36MM.

Maybe the Suz. dealer got into my tool kit, and stole the 36MM wrench, before he sold me the bike?

FjLee Denver CO

1.412 is 35.86mm are 1 7/16 " which you can find that size wrench at most any hardware store are flea market

Aaron

1.412 is 35.86mm are 1 7/16 " which you can find that size wrench at most any hardware store are flea market

Aaron

Thank you, Aaron........

My problem isn't in finding a correctly sized wrench.

As I originally stated, the problem is being able to carry that wrench, and associated "cheater bar".........full time on the bike. It's gonna be bulky and heavy.

I'm wondering how others have solved this problem, but I am starting to sense that most of the 1250 Bandits _DO NOT_ have a 36MM rear axle nut. Or maybe that those that do have a 36MM nut, fail to carry the necessary tools for loosening/tightening that nut while "on the road".

I'm sure that I'm not the only person who might get a flat........or might want to adjust my chain.....while on an extended "travel adventure"...

FjLee 2016 Bandit

To answer your question:

FjLee Denver CO

Fj... can you open the link I've inserted?
Or try this: https://www.google.com/search?q=suz...=UE3EWICeJ4fWjwTn-67YCg#imgrc=ad-DaauxsV_xWM:
Top to bottom: 1 - handle. 4 - the wrench

Just trying to help. It may well be that a dealer, or someone who test-rode your bike removed it.

Last edited:
Thank you, Aaron........

My problem isn't in finding a correctly sized wrench.

As I originally stated, the problem is being able to carry that wrench, and associated "cheater bar".........full time on the bike. It's gonna be bulky and heavy.

I'm wondering how others have solved this problem, but I am starting to sense that most of the 1250 Bandits _DO NOT_ have a 36MM rear axle nut. Or maybe that those that do have a 36MM nut, fail to carry the necessary tools for loosening/tightening that nut while "on the road".

I'm sure that I'm not the only person who might get a flat........or might want to adjust my chain.....while on an extended "travel adventure"...

FjLee 2016 Bandit

I understand, you can cut down a wrench to fit what you need and make you a cheater bar to fit said wrench. I had to do that same thing as the factory wrench are to cheese for me and are to weak.

Aaron

Hmmmmmmmmm..........

Well, CYCLEREAPER website sez: "This part is not compatible with 2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250S GSF1250SA ABS"

Also, I cannot find where CYCLEREAPER sez that the shown OEM tool kit/kits does specifically include a 36MM wrench. It might include a 36MM...or it might not!

FjLee 2016 Bandit
Well, it's in the picture (3rd from left to right).
Not sure what they mean by "part" but 2007 and 2016 models should have the same 36mm size... I'd think. Many times these stores don't have accurate data on bike's.

Well, it's in the picture (3rd from left to right).
Not sure what they mean by "part" but 2007 and 2016 models should have the same 36mm size... I'd think. Many times these stores don't have accurate data on bike's.

Well, 2wheelieadv........Tnx again for your response. Bouncing this back and forth and all around is helping me to think!

My computer skills are very limited.......to say the least........so could you please tell me how you were able to discern that one of the wrenches shown was indeed a 36mm? I assume you were able to "click around" and get info that I wasn't able to obtain.

So evidentally a 36MM tool does exist...whether or not I can package it in such a fashion that I can carry it full-time on the Bandit remains to be seen.

There is a cycle salvage place near me. I think I'll take this 36MM nut to them, see what kind of 36MM wrench they can rustle up.

We'll see...........

FjLee 2016 Bandit ...............Denver CO

Fj: go back to where you bought bike and request the wrench left out of thr tool kit. FWIW I have used the included wrench to loosen/tighten said nut without other tools. My wrench INCLUDED a handle extension that works quite well. Remember, the nut is only part of what keeps axel in place. If the wrench is not included[owners book should say ], i would order wrench from Suzuki for 2007 model.
good luck!

Fj: go back to where you bought bike and request the wrench left out of thr tool kit. FWIW I have used the included wrench to loosen/tighten said nut without other tools. My wrench INCLUDED a handle extension that works quite well. Remember, the nut is only part of what keeps axel in place. If the wrench is not included[owners book should say ], i would order wrench from Suzuki for 2007 model.
good luck!

wanabeguru.....Tnx for the response!

Was the wrench included in your tool kit a 36MM tool?

Thank you......
FjLee ..........2016 Bandit

Yes, what wanabe said. That's would be the right way to go. Just tell the dealer that the 36mm wrench (and probably the extention handle) was not in the toolkit and he should give it to you, or order it for you free of charge.

Last edited:
I understand, you can cut down a wrench to fit what you need and make you a cheater bar to fit said wrench. I had to do that same thing as the factory wrench are to cheese for me and are to weak.

Aaron

If a 1 7/16 fits go to a pawn shop and get a combination wrench and cut down to fit (lengthwise) and carry a cheater.. Probably the cheapest...

wanabeguru.....Tnx for the response!

Was the wrench included in your tool kit a 36MM tool?

Thank you......
FjLee ..........2016 Bandit

yes, wrench and extension handle were included in kit

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in the thread, but it has been my experience that if you need to tighten a chain that has stretched you don't even need to loosen the 36mm axle nut. Just turn the adjusters - it WILL move.

You do need the wrench if you were replacing a chain on the road and need to loosen the chain for removal.

For anyone new to adjusting chains I'll repeat what has been stated here and elsewhere before - per Suzuki it's very important to have the bike is on the side-stand when you do the adjustment, NOT on the center-stand.

The quick & dirty method (ruler NOT required): To determine if the chain needs tightening start by pressing the chain up toward the plastic piece on the swingarm - if it doesn't touch you are good to go. If it touches you need to make an adjustment. Always remember too loose is better than too tight.

To adjust make only a very SMALL adjustment with the adjusters - you'd be amazed how little you need to turn the adjusters, and if you go to far you will need that 36mm axle nut wrench to loosen the nut and loosen the chain. My last new chain (with new sprockets) needed only about a third of a turn on the adjuster to take up the slack of the initial chain stretch after 800 miles. Turn the adjusters evenly on both sides, and then press the chain upward again - when it doesn't touch it's good to go. If you do the whole measuring thing you will find that the "press the chain up to the plastic piece method" is so close to perfect that it isn't worth measuring in the future.

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in the thread, but it has been my experience that if you need to tighten a chain that has stretched you don't even need to loosen the 36mm axle nut. Just turn the adjusters - it WILL move.

You do need the wrench if you were replacing a chain on the road and need to loosen the chain for removal.

For anyone new to adjusting chains I'll repeat what has been stated here and elsewhere before - per Suzuki it's very important to have the bike is on the side-stand when you do the adjustment, NOT on the center-stand.

The quick & dirty method (ruler NOT required): To determine if the chain needs tightening start by pressing the chain up toward the plastic piece on the swingarm - if it doesn't touch you are good to go. If it touches you need to make an adjustment. Always remember too loose is better than too tight.

To adjust make only a very SMALL adjustment with the adjusters - you'd be amazed how little you need to turn the adjusters, and if you go to far you will need that 36mm axle nut wrench to loosen the nut and loosen the chain. My last new chain (with new sprockets) needed only about a third of a turn on the adjuster to take up the slack of the initial chain stretch after 800 miles. Turn the adjusters evenly on both sides, and then press the chain upward again - when it doesn't touch it's good to go. If you do the whole measuring thing you will find that the "press the chain up to the plastic piece method" is so close to perfect that it isn't worth measuring in the future.
How tight is your axle nut? To adjust the chain, the axle needs to moves back. It will do if it's not tight enough, but in this case the axle also going to move while riding especially on the uneven road, and therefor the chain and alignment will always have to be readjusted at best.

Back