• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 New Years Photography resolution

twtex85

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Adams
Thinking about the New Year and decided I wanted to learn how to shoot better pics this year. First I guess i need to go into a little background. I have had a digital camera (Nikon D40) laying around for several years now and will pick it up from time to time and take a few snapshots (usually on motorcycle trips) but I like many beginning photographers will shoot a few pics and then when I get back home and download them i notice that there are more bad pics than good. Once back home the camera goes back in it's case and stays there until the next trip. Because of not using it regularly it seems I have to relearn the controls, how to use them and what they do on my camera every time I pick it up which is really frustrating and makes it even harder to get good quality pics.

So this year since I am not getting any younger and I have several m/c trips lined up later this year I am going to make a conscious effort to learn more about how to use my camera along with how to compose and shoot good pics that are worth keeping.
Since there seems to be quite a few accomplished photographers on this forum (from some of the pics I have seen posted) I thought I would start a photo thread where I can post pics which will force me to get out and take more pictures. Additionally, I was hoping to get some feedback from some of the folks here who shoot a lot more than I do. I am thinking this will be a good learning tool for me, force me to take more pics, and will help me learn more about what my camera can do, the mechanics of taking a pic, and learn more about composition.

For anyone who wants to follow the thread just know that I travel a lot for work and right now I don't know how often I will be posting pics but I am going to try to shoot pics every week and will post them as I get them.

With regards to equipment as I mentioned above I am shooting with a Nikon D40 with the kit lenses of 18-55 f3.5-5.6 and 55-200 f4.5-5.6vr and a few filters (polarizing, neutral density, and graduated neutral density) I don't have any post processing software other than what is on my I Mac so the pics will have very little touching up. Since I don't have any touch up software I will be shooting J-Pegs for the most part but will try shooting in RAW format for a few shots just to see what they look like.
To get started here are some shots I did this week. Comments are welcome. Stay tuned for more pics folks and remember I am just starting this journey.

Last edited:
Welcome to our little corner of TWT! We're gentle in here for the most part. :deal: And if you read the stickies, the main reason of this sub-forum is to generally increase the photographers skills to bring better images to their trip reports. Sounds exactly what you are after - better pictures for your rides!

As to equipment, MANY of us who went Nikon started out with a D40. It's a great little body to get your feet wet and can do some nice work within it's limits.

There is no silly question in this sub-forum. Most of us have "been there - done that" and we all have asked what is rolling around in your head at the moment. So knowing that, just ask what you think you want to know - heck.... there was a period I didn't even know enough of what I wanted to know in how ask the question in the first place!

There's a LOT of experience in here. A LOT of opinions. A LOT of options. A LOT of different approaches to image creation.

Looking forward to helping where I can..... :photo:

:tab I had a D40 a long time ago. I went through almost the exact same thing you describe with your experience. For bike trips, I switched to a small point and shoot camera, a Canon D600. Even though it is over 11 years old, I still use that camera for most of my bike trip photography! I also tend to use my iPhone 6 a lot in the last few years because it takes great pics and video.

:tab For general photography, I sold the D40 and upgraded to a D7000 with an 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6. I struggled to consistently get good pics. So my experience with it was much the same as with the D40 and it spent a lot of time collecting dust. A few years later, I decided to upgrade to a full frame body and got a D750. WOW. I was blown away. After getting the D750 and seeing the results I was getting, I finally decided to send the D7000 for a check up because I had come to believe the auto-focus was not working correctly. When it came back from Nikon, it was like a totally different camera! But, I sold it to a friend here in town that wanted to get into photography. I liked having a second camera, so I bought the D7200, the newest version of the D7000 body. I love it. The controls on it and the D750 are almost identical, so it makes going from one body to the other easier. My oldest daughter (13) is learning photography. It is nice to be able to let her use the D7200 while I use my D750. I can show her how to do stuff by doing it on the D750 and letting her watch me and then do it on the D7200.

:tab Anyway, for learning general photography, this is by far the BEST video series I have found.

https://www.creativelive.com/class/...john-greengo-2018?via=class-list-collection_3

It it worth every dollar! If you want, and have the time, you can watch it for free when the classes are being presented. You just have to watch it live. I did that the first time, for three or four sessions and then just paid to get the whole thing. Buying it lets you download ALL of the videos and the associated materials so you can watch them at your leisure. I originally bought it in 2013. However, he adds to and updates the content every year. I purchased it again in 2017. I try to watch it at least once a year. It REALLY helps just to go over the basics again and again. However, he covers far more than just the basics. His graphics and examples are excellent, as are his explanations.

:tab There are MANY free videos on YouTube and other websites that I have watched over the years, some very good. But none of them have been as systematic as the above series in the presentation of the information. I will tend to use other videos when I have a specific issue I want to research or understand, but for general understanding, these videos are great.

Thanks for the replies. I tried loading the photos to the post but it only let me load smaller pic's and not the full size pics. I have attached what I thought were the best ones here and I also supplied a link below to my smug mug account where you can see the full size images.
Looking forward to learning a lot this year.

https://twtex85.smugmug.com/2018-photos

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_123b.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_123b.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 282
  • fullsizeoutput_1240.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1240.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 288
  • fullsizeoutput_1242.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1242.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 275
  • fullsizeoutput_1244.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1244.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 273
  • fullsizeoutput_1236.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1236.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
i notice that there are more bad pics than good
Don't worry - that won't ever change. Photographers are not judged on the number of bad photos they take. They are only judged on the number and quality of the good ones.

Thanks for the replies. I tried loading the photos to the post but it only let me load smaller pic's and not the full size pics. I have attached what I thought were the best ones here and I also supplied a link below to my smug mug account where you can see the full size images.
Looking forward to learning a lot this year.

If you upload the images as attachments, they have to be 640 X 480 or less and 195KB or less.

If you have the images already on smug mug, you can link to them and use the IMG tags. I think smug mug even has the tags already included so you can just cut/paste it here.

Last edited:
LOL! :lol2:

It's just like the hunt for the "perfect" bike... :-P

The Dear George read is pretty funny. Thanks for sharing. it is applicable to a lot of hobbies. You go thru the learning stage thinking that I would be so much better if I just had this expensive piece of new equipment only to be disappointed a short while later. You discover you still suck big time even with the new piece of equipment and now you are just shelled out a bunch of money and are no better off for it.

The same scenario plays out in guns, cars, motorcycles, guitars, you name it. Ive been down that rabbit hole and finally learned that money doesn't buy you a skill set. I wish I had half the money I have spent on buying bikes and then farkling them only to sell them off at a big loss a little farther down the road to finance the new ultimate bike. I like to think that with age does come some wisdom and I've finally learned that sometimes the simplest things bring you the most pleasure.

The D40 will be fine for now and allow me to focus on the mechanics, reading the light, and learning how to compose the shot for the maximum effect. If I follow thru with my intentions then by the end of the year it may be time to start looking at some better equipment as my skill develops. Looking forward to it.

Sounds good. What's your current skill level? Do you have a good understanding of the exposure triangle?

The D40 will be fine for now and allow me to focus on the mechanics.....

Ha! Good pun there. :-)

Ya' know..... you're going to make me go dig out my old D40 at my brother-in-laws place and see what I can do with it now, don't 'cha? :giveup:

As to the shot/keeper ratio? Don't give it a second thought...... Shoot&Delete as it's called. I shot about 5K worth of bird images to get that body of work down to about 200. That could go to maybe 20 if I really wanted to do so.

On the flip side, I saw a quote that went something like "....I'd rather take all day to get one good shot than take 11 crap shots per second all day".

Klb1122: I don’t consider myself a total beginner. I have shot 35mm film before and understand the relationship between arpeture,shutter , and ASA rating and how they affect the light the camera see’s and their effect on exposure. I also understand how the arpeture opening affects the depth of field. With digital cameras you also can play with the white balance which is a plus .

Composition and determining the correct parameters for shooting in different light conditions are what I have the most issues with. Using the flash in low light conditions and for fill in are another area I need experience with. I think most of the things I need help with just come from shooting under different conditions and trying different combinations to come up with good pics. I hope this exercise helps me with that.

I have been trying to brush up by reading some different books on composition and exposure and may try to do some 1 or 2 day classes this year. The video series Tourmiester recommended looks enticing so I may try that also.

I also just dusted off my old 35 mm Canon film camera and may shoot some film occasionally to see how it compares to the digital pics. Looking forward to getting out and doing some shooting.

Last edited:
You've got the right attitude to learn more......

I'd suggest a 'shot list' of things you want to capture/create and work on those. Having a list of things outside your comfort zone forces you to work at those things.

Well I was able to get out this am and do some shooting in the fog. Tried some different things with composition and learned some things. Heading out of town this afternoon so I probably won't be able to post any more until Friday.
Posted the balance to my smug mug account. Enjoy and let me know what you think

fullsizeoutput_1249-XL.jpg

fullsizeoutput_124b-XL.jpg

fullsizeoutput_124e-XL.jpg

DSC_0934-XL.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1251-XL.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1253-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I must be missing something here. When i copy the Url from my smug mug page it only posts thumbnail size pics..
Basically I am writing my post and then clicking on the manage attachment link and cutting and pasting the Url link in the open space and then hitting upload. When it posts it only posts the thumbnail. Am I missing something to get the full size pic posted . Please help me get this figured out.

Last edited:
I must be missing something here. When i copy the Url from my smug mug page it only posts thumbnail size pics..
Basically I am writing my post and then clicking on the manage attachment link and cutting and pasting the Url link in the open space and then hitting upload. When it posts it only posts the thumbnail. Am I missing something to get the full size pic posted . Please help me get this figured out.

Skip the "Manage Attachments" step and directly paste that SM "photo" tab link and the 1024 size between the image tags in the body of your post here. Those tags are (img) on the front and (/img) on the back of the SM link. BUT USE [] instead of ().

fullsizeoutput_1247-XL.jpg

Looks like it works now.:sun:

Thanks Tracker. Good link. This morning was just trying out different exposures and ideas. It's a journey.

:tab I like all of them, especially the snake warning sign! If you are in Texas, that kind of qualifies as a, "DUH!" kind of thing :lol2:

:tab I really like shot #3 with the path leading into the mist. I like the B&W. It makes me want to wander down the path to see what is just out of sight.

:tab As for putting images in your post, if you use the "Manage Attachments" option, you will always get thumbnails. That option is really just provided as a last ditch courtesy for users that don't have a way to host their images on a site like smug mug, imageshack, photobucket, etc,... However, I don't have the server space to let everyone start uploading big images for free, hence the small size restrictions on uploads.

Thanks for the feedback Tourmeister, Scott helped me figure out what i was doing wrong with regard to posting the pics. After he schooled me on how to post directly from my smug mug account it worked like a charm. I'll skip the manage attachment method from now on.

I was looking at the heading and purpose of this sub-forum and I hope I am posting these pics in the right place . If not my apologies and just let me know if I need to move my posts to another sub forum.

In the future i am going to try to post pics related to a theme so it will be more in line with what the coffee table heading for the sub forum means. Maybe next time I will try to do a motorcycle theme for the pics. (Imagine that ). I've got a couple of Guzzi's that are dying to have their picture taken.:rider:

Klb1122: I don’t consider myself a total beginner. I have shot 35mm film before and understand the relationship between arpeture,shutter , and ASA rating and how they affect the light the camera see’s and their effect on exposure. I also understand how the arpeture opening affects the depth of field. With digital cameras you also can play with the white balance which is a plus .

Composition and determining the correct parameters for shooting in different light conditions are what I have the most issues with. Using the flash in low light conditions and for fill in are another area I need experience with. I think most of the things I need help with just come from shooting under different conditions and trying different combinations to come up with good pics. I hope this exercise helps me with that.

I have been trying to brush up by reading some different books on composition and exposure and may try to do some 1 or 2 day classes this year. The video series Tourmiester recommended looks enticing so I may try that also.

I also just dusted off my old 35 mm Canon film camera and may shoot some film occasionally to see how it compares to the digital pics. Looking forward to getting out and doing some shooting.

Sounds good! You're well ahead of most.

I like the last set you posted. My only composition comment would be on the last two with the leaves and reflections, I think it would be a touch better if the stem of the leaf wasn't cut off. Just my take, and I'm by no means an expert.

Yea , I didn’t notice about the stem until I got home and downloaded them. Good comment and catch.

Sounds good! You're well ahead of most.

I like the last set you posted. My only composition comment would be on the last two with the leaves and reflections, I think it would be a touch better if the stem of the leaf wasn't cut off. Just my take, and I'm by no means an expert.

#14 the four leaves together the one on the left has a M P C I letters like a crypt to prove your a person and not a machine, or some kind of message. Can anyone else see them? I hope so. Remember the 1966 movie Blowup? Anyway good shots.

Last edited:
California dreaming on a cold winter day.

fullsizeoutput_126d-XL.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1269-XL.jpg

fullsizeoutput_126c-XL.jpg

fullsizeoutput_126b-XL.jpg

DSC_0029-XL.jpg

Back