• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

50CC ride attempt

Just checking my math. He left San Diego at 12:25AM, so that's 2:25am CDT. That means he needs to get well into Jacksonville by 4:25AM our time , right?
So if that's correct, Brian's got 8 hours to do the last 400 miles. He should make it,but I know how fatigued he is, and the games the mind starts to play. I think most riders would have thrown in the towel dealing with the deluge he pushed through.
I don't know Brian, but hope to someday.

You are correct

Last edited:
Within 2.5 hrs... thats 2:15am eta . Cut off estimate 4:25am. With need for fuel again possible...gona be close but might make it. Regardless...he's already done it in any bodies book here.

I bet he's going for this as final destination...48 16th Avenue South Parking. It will also take him right by a BP gas station at hwy A1A and 25th street to get a final reciept.

Last edited:
The suspense is killing me.
GOODLUCK.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think his last fuel stop was in Tallahassee. Thats 184 miles to final destination. Should not need any more fuel stops.

Congratulations Brian.

Congratulations Brian.

At the BP station ! 2:01am way to go texas t !!!

Heading West on 202 probably going to hotel. Bet he's hungry too, basically no good meal for 2 days.

GOOD NIGHT AND SLEEP TIGHT, YOU DESERVE IT

Last edited:
Within 2.5 hrs... thats 2:15am eta . Cut off estimate 4:25am. With need for fuel again possible...gona be close but might make it. Regardless...he's already done it in any bodies book here.

I bet he's going for this as final destination...48 16th Avenue South Parking. It will also take him right by a BP gas station at hwy A1A and 25th street to get a final reciept.

Pretty darn good Naviguessing! He's at the BP station with plenty of time to spare.
:clap::clap::clap:

Congratulations!

Looks like he may have made a u turn at fort Stockton to go back for gas.

I had to do that once because fuel is far apart out yonder.
Good eye. The sign (AFTER the last gas exit) said 90 miles to the next gas exit and I only had fuel for about 50, yet when I continued on there was another station about 35 miles further down the road.
:doh:

He actually has a shot at completing a Bun Burner Gold, 1500 miles in 24 hours. That's riding! If he makes the east side of Baytown by 2:00AM CDT.

The goal was Beaumont, but the rain had other plans for me. Turned out to be about 1,250 miles on day one.

I don't know how close to real time that site is. My apt is right on I10 in Boerne. Half tempted to go wait and see him go by.

I "think" there is about a 10 minute lag time but I'd need to ask the Spotwalla owner. I'm sure there are lots of variables.

The spot looks like he has stopped in Kerrville at the best western Sunday house inn at 10:51pm. Hard to imagine riding all those hours, he!! I had a couple of naps today alone. Hopefully Brian is actually sleeping . That's gotta be a real challenge getting your brain to shut down to sleep when that's exactly what you have been trying to avoid for the last day and night. 16 hours to Jacksonville Florida

I stopped at the Love's in Eloy AZ just prior to sunrise and slept in their Arby's restaurant for about 20 minutes. I find that I typically do that on my rides that start in the middle of the night. That allows me a quick cat nap that refreshes me quite a bit, plus I miss the initial morning sun on the horizon blinding me.

I never sleep good on the road. I went to bed in Kerrville about 11:30, up at 1 am, up at 2 am, up at 4 am and stayed up. Back to bed at 6:30 for a "minute" and slept until 7:15. Had breakfast, loaded, fueled, and on my way. No other rest until 4:45 this morning when I reached the hotel. Up at 7 am, peed, back to sleep until 10 am. I might sneak in a nap later today, but today will primarily be a down / recovery day. We do have dinner tonight with my former AZ riding partner and his wife, but then early to bed after that.

Off to see a cousin in GA tomorrow, and then we're spending two nights with a motorcycle friend in TN, then on to Branson for 4 days for the annual Tour Of Honor event, one night in Wichita to see an old high school friend, one night in Amarillo to see another motorcycle buddy, one night in ABQ, one night in Show Low AZ to see my sister, and then home.

September in texas, if it does rain, thats when it happens. That radar looks clear for the rest of the way.

I drove 17 hrs by myself in a car when i was young and decided I hated doing that , felt like **** afterwards (drank too much coffee).

Yes, most successful 50CC rides are done around the Jacksonville party time frame of March, but September just happened to work out for me.

I don't drink coffee so I rely upon 5 Hour Energy. Two bottles will usually carry me through a 24 hour day.

If he stops beyond Cove, Tx within 30 minutes and gets a receipt, he should be able to get credit for a 1500 Bun Burner. If he did start at 12:25 AM PDT then he has to get a receipt prior to 2:25 PM CDT. If someone knows how to get in touch with him immediately, they should. If my experience is any indication, his math skills are probably lacking a bit right now. HECK OF A RIDE!

I'll have to pull my receipts to see if I can document that. You are absolutely correct in that I should have checked to see what my 30 hour and 36 hour windows were for a BB or a BB Silver, and that my math skills were a bit challenged.

I stuggled mightily during the ride to calculate my remaining hours and the speed needed for those remaining hours. And then when I hit Florida and the time change to EST did NOT happen I was more confused. It turns out that half of FL is EST and half is CST and I just hadn't got to the change point yet.

Radar looks decent. Who woulda thunk it, coast to coast and the worst rain is in Texas?

Actually, the rain was from Ft Stockton all the way to the MS border. Everything from spray on the ground from a previous rain, to misty, to raining, to hide-under-an-overpass-coming-down-in-buckets gully washer. I can't think of a time in which I have ridden in more rain in my life. There were just bands after bands after bands.

I should have asked one of you to pull up weather maps to overlay with the Spotwalla map just to see what it looked like from a radar image when I was there.

Just checking my math. He left San Diego at 12:25AM, so that's 2:25am CDT. That means he needs to get well into Jacksonville by 4:25AM our time , right?
So if that's correct, Brian's got 8 hours to do the last 400 miles. He should make it,but I know how fatigued he is, and the games the mind starts to play. I think most riders would have thrown in the towel dealing with the deluge he pushed through.

Yes, the mind does start to play games on you. Every little shadow on the road is another tire gator to be avoided. Every little glint of a reflection is the eye of a deer on the side of the road. And so on...

I don't know Brian, but hope to someday.
Always a pleasure to meet other LD riders. I'll be back in October for the IBA's Big As Texas party in Dallas. I'll so a SS on the way in, a SS while I'm there (Dallas, Austin, Houston, Galveston, back to Dallas), and a final SS on my way home.

I'm actually surprised at the amount of coverage this ride has gotten; most LD riding events are viewed as "ho hum" "he must be nuts" "what a waste of riding time" by the typical rider. Motorcycle riding is a very, very small segment of the entire US population, and LD riding is a miniscule percentage of that.

If any of you have a tiny interest in this and are curious to learn more, come see us in Allen TX the weekend of Oct 18-20. Even if you don't sign up for anything there will be some farkled bikes in the parking lot to ogle.
http://www.ironbutt.com/texas/

Great ride Brian! Thanks for taking us along!

Back