• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Jackets; any suggestions?

I tried on the Olympia Airglide 2 at MotoLiberty yesterday and boy that thing is HEAVY. It is very well made, though, with exceptional detail in the stitching and cut. I didn't zip out the liner -- saving that for another trip (this time I was really there to buy boots).
The liners to add considerably to the weight. and you kinda want a heavy jacket to protect your hide in the event that you have to test it

Are the perforated leather jackets as durable (read: crash protective) as the Cordura in the Airglide?

Here's my jacket line-up, the combination covers MOST of my needs :rofl:

Joe Rocket Pheonix mesh with removable liner

Hein Gericke Tuareg Rallye LC 3/4 Cordura textile with removable liner

Fast Time unlined leather jacket (with armor)

Cortech / Tourmaster Magnum leather with removable liner (zips together with the Cortech Apex pants to make a 2 pc leather suit)

I just picked up the Vanson Ventilator Jacket from Moto Liberty:
-1000 denier woven Cordura panels for sleeves, shoulders, and back
-1000 denier knitted Cordura mesh for under sleeves and torso
-Forearm adjusters
-Waist adjusters
-2 outside pockets, 2 inside pockets
-leather trim
-CE armor in the forearms, elbows, and shoulders
-Compression backpad in the, well, in the back!

It will be a bit warm in 90+ degree stops but lots of airflow when moving. Of course, anything is a bit warm in 90+ degrees in north Texas.

I almost bought the VentMax 3 but went for the Ventilator instead. I figured the solid panels on the top of the sleeves and shoulders would provide sun/bug/wind protection and extend its use into cooler weather.
I've been riding in it for a month and it's a very good jacket. Breathes well and is fairly cool. Of course, sitting at a traffic light it warms up in the sun.

We'll see, I ordered a silver VentMax3 a couple of days ago.

It's stinkin' hot out there!

I wear an Icon Tarmac mesh jacket. It has full CE armor in elbows, shoulders and back plus zip off sleeves (not to sure of the purpose there...) anyways, I've tested the jacket on rough concrete at 45mph...works awsome..although my wranglers werent the best choice in pants...

Great info in this thread. I am lost when it comes to hot weather gear. In CA I can wear my aerostich year round and you can't beat the protection or ease of use. Is there anything similar that works for hot weather????

Also am I even going to be able to wear my stich or is going to be taking up room in the closet in TX?

I'm completely unimpressed with Joe Rocket's quality. Sure, it WORKS, it's mesh. But as stated, fit and finish isn't so good. I recall (third hand, unconfirmed) that they don't rate well in safety. Check that out. I'm getting rid of mine and don't care enough to look myself.

Combination jackets are good too. Leather in the areas you will fall down, big vents, and patches of flex cloth in the arm pits and down the inside of the sleeves create air flow. It's hotter than a straight mesh, but a lot more protective.

I have the "official" Honda VTX version of this jacket:

http://newenough.com/closeouts/leat...power_trip/dtp_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

It's a freaking awesome deal on this jacket, and if I didn't have the VTX one already, I'd buy one of these. I've worn this jacket on HOT and HUMID days, and it's pretty decent. I admit, I handle heat well. Is it as cool as the mesh? No. Will it protect me better if I go down? Yup. Dress for the slide, not for the ride.

Try cycleport's (motoport.com) kevlar mesh. Not cheap, but can be had with a great gore-tex liner that will work down to about 50 degrees (unfaired bike). absolutely the most protective gear you can buy.

For less expensive really hot weather gear, Vanson makes a mesh jacket that is 1000 Denier cordura open mesh weave over the entire body. It has leather patches under the mesh at the shoulders and elbows. No liner to be had, so only a hot weather item.

On mesh jackets make sure that the mesh is not poylester. It has a very low melting point and may melt into your skin in a slide. Lost of debate on this. Generally best to stick with Cordura or kevlar and avoid the cheaper poly stuff.

+1 on Motoliberty. Great selection and good people. Decent prices. Spend the time and try everything on. Can't go wrong there.

First day riding with new Vanson VentMax 3

Back was all that got wet.

GREAT.

Thanks MotoLiberty!

It was mentioned earlier, but I gotta say - try them on. Definitely go for the CE armor. My Fieldsheer Mach 4 mesh is foam pad on the inside, leather on the outside, and CE armor sandwiched in between. That's the elbows, shoulders, and back. The rest is mesh and heavier nylon in the stress areas. This jacket is good for about the 5 summer months here. The rest of the year I use a Firstgear Mach 4, which is a 1000 denier nylon with similar padding plus a removable thermal liner. I actually prefer the stiffer jacket (less flapping), but must yield to the heat.

Moral of story - don't expect one jacket or one set of gloves to be suitable year-round.

And try them on!

I really like my Cortech mesh jacket. A friend has the Vanson jacket designed for hot weather and it looks very well made. He says it has good air flow too.

Best bang for buck think Mesh with a removable liner. Leather (even perforated)is just way too smothering and hot most of the year. It is the most abrasion resistant and looks the best. Personally I rotate three Jackets:

1.Joe Rocket: Loudest colors and designs, most visibility, coolest, removable liner, armored and has the most features.

2.Mossi: Leather reinforced critical areas with mesh in the rest, removable liner, armored, very well constructed.

3.Cortech Denim: heavy weight, removable liner, to warm for anything but cool to cold weather, economical.

You didn't ask but another summer must I also use are Fieldsheer and First Gear armored mesh pants. I prefer the Fieldsheers for the their features and extreme comfort.

Back