• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Good textile/mesh jacket for Houston?

GQ*

Reaction score
So here's the story:

I picked up my new bike Friday, borrowed gear to ride around Sat. Ordered my lid and bought a Frank Thomas WP jacket Sun. Went for a test run in the jacket (w/the borrowed lid) Sun. night and even w/the strong winds I was HOT b/c the jacket didn't breath. FF to last night. I returned the Frank Thomas and spent about 30 minutes trying on CycleGear's limited in store selection of jackets only to leave empty handed. I know you don't really need/want to read this story, but too late you already did.:mrgreen:

Now, with all that said, can anyone recommend a good textile/mesh jacket combo for Houston summers (all 9 months of it)? :sun:

Or could anyone, in good conscience, recommend a good full mesh jacket? (I've only heard bad things about mesh)

Or could anyone, in good conscience, recommend a good full mesh jacket? (I've only heard bad things about mesh)

??? What bad things? All I wear in the summer is a Cortech Intake mesh jacket and love it. Also I've never heard one single bad thing about the Olympia Air Glide stuff.

Now, with all that said, can anyone recommend a good textile/mesh jacket combo for Houston summers (all 9 months of it)? :sun:

Well, there isn't any problem with full mesh, that's all I wear in the summer... but,

If you're looking for something that'll keep you relatively cool in the summer and warm in the spring/fall, I loved my Joe Rocket AlterEgo:

http://www.newenough.com/protective...ter_ego_2_textile_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

Take a look at the pictures.. the whole outer shell zips off and it turns from a full textile jacket with liner to a lightweight mesh jacket in about 3 minutes once you get the process down. I have the 1st generation, so the AlterEgo II might be even better...

Expensive? You bet. I got mine used off of Craigslist for less than 1/2 what New Enough wants, but I wore it for a couple seasons with zero problems. I've since bought dedicated summer/winter riding gear and the JR is a spare/passenger jacket, but it's a good jacket.

Not the warmest thing in the winter, but the water/wind proof liner is warm enough. If you buy it w/ room to layer a sweatshirt under it, you're comfortable into the mid 40's I'd say.

Summertime... you're going to get hot, period (especially in Htown). It flows about as well as any other mesh jacket I've had, and I actually like the way the elbow armor and neck closure is on the Alter Ego than my full mesh jacket.

trey

Most any ventilated summer jacket with CE armor will be good. It should fit correctly (snug) and not have a solid inner liner if you want the wind to go all the way thru. A removable inner liner for cooler days is a good feature. Most summer jackets have the same construction, but a handful have either solid material or leather on the elbows and shoulders (areas more prone to abrasion). Stick with a name brand (Teknic, JR, A-star, Firstgear, Tourmaster/Cortech, Fieldsheer, Olympia, etc) and it should last you a long time.

Final recommendation: get a light color if at all possible. Contrast is better for visibility, and a lighter color reflects more solar heat instead of black that absorbs.

Remember most textile riding gear are like helmets. One good get-off and expect to replace it.

Visit Pasadena Honda, Discount M/C Tires and Texas Yamaha for a greater selection of jackets in the nearby area. Across town, Wild West Honda in Katy and Honda of Houston have a big selection.

I'll throw in a recommendation for the Joe Rocket Phoenix.
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/phoenix_5_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html
It has more mesh than the Alter Ego. I believe it has the same waterproof/windproof liner. I get one size larger so I can add a fleece layer when it gets real cold and am able to wear it down to 40 degrees. Great ariflow even when sitting at a stop if there is any breeze at all. I'm on my second jacket. The first was version 2.0; my second is 4.0. I still use the old one when riding dirt roads since it has the protection on shoulders, elbows, back.

I've had fieldsheer (cheap, but not too bad), roadgear ( cost more and better), and now an Olympia Air Glide (most expensive and worth it).

Oly is lighter color and doesn't get as hot as the roadgear and fieldsheer, which have black material on the shoulders. The removeable liner forthe Oly is insulated and can be worn as a separate light jacket. The roadgear does have a more water resistant liner, though.

Any jacket is Houston is going to be close to unbearable in mid-summer. When the temp is 95+ and you're stopped at a light in traffic you will roast no matter what you are wearing. The experience I have had with the others brought me to try the Oly and I think I have now found what is best for me.

Here is the link for their website:
http://www.olympiamotosports.com/airglide/airglide.htm

I bought mine @ Moto Liberty on a trip to Dallas, but I have seen these at Gulf Coast BMW, Houston Honda, and Wild West.

Take a look.

:rider:

I'll throw in a recommendation for the Joe Rocket Phoenix.
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/phoenix_5_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html
It has more mesh than the Alter Ego. I believe it has the same waterproof/windproof liner. I get one size larger so I can add a fleece layer when it gets real cold and am able to wear it down to 40 degrees. Great ariflow even when sitting at a stop if there is any breeze at all. I'm on my second jacket. The first was version 2.0; my second is 4.0. I still use the old one when riding dirt roads since it has the protection on shoulders, elbows, back.

And don't forget, the Phoenix 4.0 is still on closeout at NewEnough because of the launch of the 5.0.

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/..._rocket/phoenix_4_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

Just $89.00 plus shipping and handling ($9.31 to Sugar Land). Or, if you want the new version, the prices has not gone up from $134.99 (with free shipping).

Lee

The First Gear and the Olympia Bushwacker have both served me well.

The Firstgear may be a few degrees cooler than the Olympia. Both have removable liners. The Olympia liner is insulated and can be worn as a stand alone jacket where as the Firstgear liner must be zipped to the jacket.

If you want the ultimate in breathability you may want to look at the Vanson shown here: http://www.vansonleathers.com/product_pages/jackets/vx3.htm

Saw this jacket in San Antonio at the new Moto Liberty and it is priced reasonably as well. I've been very happy with my first generation First Gear. Will probably upgrade to the latest version this season. They've made some nice upgrades.

Mark

And don't forget, the Phoenix 4.0 is still on closeout at NewEnough because of the launch of the 5.0.

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/..._rocket/phoenix_4_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

Just $89.00 plus shipping and handling ($9.31 to Sugar Land). Or, if you want the new version, the prices has not gone up from $134.99 (with free shipping).

Lee

Thanks! This looks like the one I will go with for my start jacket. Plus leaves me extra money to invest in some good gloves.

Thanks! This looks like the one I will go with for my start jacket. Plus leaves me extra money to invest in some good gloves.

Good choice! Do yourself a favor and find a local dealer that sells that jacket and go try it on for size. Not all are true to size.

Good Luck.

could anyone, in good conscience, recommend a good full mesh jacket? (I've only heard bad things about mesh)

The things you've heard about mesh jackets probably have to do with protection during a crash. You'll have to face the fact that there is a hierarchy of protection with leathers at the top followed by standard textiles and then mesh at the bottom. I live in Houston and have both textile and mesh. The textile outfit I have is the Aerostich Darien. It's a bit on the pricey side but it has, hands down, the largest vents I've seen on a jacket. Up until a couple of years ago it was the only jacket I used but then I purchased a Joe Rocket Mesh jacket. I use the mesh when I'm riding locally and the temp & humidity is going to be really brutal.

Good choice! Do yourself a favor and find a local dealer that sells that jacket and go try it on for size. Not all are true to size.

Good Luck.

Stubbs SW had both the Phoenix 4.0 and the new 5.0 when I was there Saturday. For me, a medium Phoenix 5.0 fit, while I take a large in the Phoenix 4.0 (which seems to have a slightly shorter waist).

I may have to hit up Stubbs off Telephone and see what they have. If the 4.0 is shorter than the 5.0 then I will spend the xtra and get the 5.0

I recently bought the Tourmaster Flex 2 jacket and its a great all round textile/mexh jacket with removable textile shell and liner with ce armor. I have ridden with the temperature in the low 40's with the textile on and in the 70's without the textile on and its been awesome. I did not want two seperate jackets for winter and summer so I went with the Flex 2. I am extremely pleased with it. The only complaint I would have is the weight when its all put together but I guess you cant have it all ... heres the link

http://www.newenough.com/protective..._series_2_textile_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

What size are you? I've got an older (slightly faded but never crashed) Joe Rocket mesh jacket. I think XL.

Free and it's blue. It was a hand-me-down when I first started riding and hadn't gotten my own yet. Joe Rocket mesh.

Back