• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hydration Pack - what do you use?

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Haslinger
I searched this forum before I posted, but I don't see any discussion regarding hydration packs.

I'm thinking that I need to start using a hydration pack if I plan on riding long periods in this heat. I think that I want something that will fit under my Olympia Airglide II jacket. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I use one on offroad and long ds rides, but it is the Camelback Mule. 3 liters capacity plus a decent sized pack. If you are wearing under your jacket you want one that is just a hydration bladder and holder probably.

My kids have two other brands, one is from Costco. After seeing those types, my suggestion is take a look a the different bite valves to see which you like. The camelback 90 degree one I have has a lock so it doesn't leak, which it has done when I've forgotten to lock it. :doh: The kid's have a different lock, but they work okay. The High Sierra one from Costco has an insulated sleeve on the tube, which means the first drink is not hot. The boy's one (forgot brand, maybe REI) has a quick release on the bottom of the bladder so you don't have to un-snake the tube out.

Just ideas of what to look for.

Wear it outside your jacket. You'll never know it's there except when your using it, and most are insulated enough that you don't have to worry about it.

I've got like three different ones. Two Camelbak and one generic. Unless I'm commuting I almost always have one on in the summer when I'm riding, dirt or street. I love my Mule because it's got a huge bladder that I don't have to worry about sucking dry between gas stops. It also holds a lot of stuff. I have a smaller one that works well when I don't need the extra storage or water.

One thing I can say is to make sure to get one with a 90 degree valve. It fits perfectly up under the helmet and lets you drink easily. My generic one doesn't have that and the hose gets kinked trying to drink from it with a full face helmet on. Not impossible but definitely not as easy.

I usually ride around in the dead of summer with the 90 degree valve hanging from the corner of my mouth, so I'm constantly drinking and staying hydrated. When I ride with groups and we hit the gas station, everyone is running for the gatorade coolers and I'm usually the only one running for the bathroom.

Also, I've safety wired my valve onto the hose on all of mine after having to chase the valve down while riding in the dirt. Seems they catch on things like brake lines when doing small jumps and pull out leaving me with a soaking crotch and losing all of my water as seen here -> http://www.leanangle.com/vids/bells082606.wmv Ignore my pathetic riding ability. I've gotten better since then, but not much better. :mrgreen:

I've got two, the Camelback Siren and Camelback Mule, but only use them while riding on extended trips. Generally in town or short trips (less than 200 miles) I don't take one.

When I do use it, I simply fill it with ice cubes as much as it will hold and then top off with water. It'll last several hours before it's gone/warm.

Never worn it under my jacket, always outside/over.

Here's Camelbak's offerings:
http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/hydration-packs.aspx

Siren, 50oz (mine's red)
siren.gif

Mule, 100oz (mine's green)
41GM61CMSKL._AA280_.jpg

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/hydration-packs/mule.aspx

I have a Camelback bladder in a custom pouch that rides in my tank bag. 1.5 liter has been big enough to get to the next gas stop every time so far.

I have a couple - Mule is nice with the extra room in pack for stuff. I tried their fannypack version and it doesn't ride well on scooter w/ rider backrest.

You might try a Gerber (knife maker) hydration system. Their bladder is rigid and you just throw it in the dishwasher to clean. $35 at gunshow this past weekend.

The COSTCO one works great... 90 degree bite-valve, plenty of capacity and if you need extra storage space, the back-pack features come in handy. I also like the waist strap that takes the weight off your shoulders and stabilizes everything.

With all that said, I'll likely replace it with a more dedicated hydration pack - no pockets or other doo-dads...

Bottom line - get one and use it. Drink before you feel thirsty. You'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel at the end of the ride on a hot day.

I've been using a generic version for several years and it worked fine, except... the mouth of the bladder was small and getting ice into it was always a pain. On a recent extended trip my 3 riding partners had Camelback with wide mouths. They just held it under the ice dispenser at the convence store soda fountain and went on their way... left me forcing ice into mine by hand.
I now own a 2-liter camelback.
I wear it outside my jacket and I use both the chest and waist cinch strap.

+1 on the 90-degree bite valve. I've chewed through a couple already on my Camelbak, but a new valve cover is had for $4 at most local sports stores so it's never been an issue.

Before that I had a generic with a push/pull valve that was straight. I pulled on it too hard and the whole valve went bouncing down the road. Not only was it annoying for that ride, but I couldn't get a replacement valve ANYWHERE - including the web. I ended up keeping the backpack but replacing the entire water bladder with a CamelBak branded one.

Ed's post reminded me of a set up I saw. The guy had the camelbak park strap to the top of his pannier and used one of those rewinding things for holding badges or keys on your belt to hold the bite valve near the tank. He'd just reach down and grab the hose and pull it up for a drink. Kind of like Ed's method, but it keeps the tank bag space open.

Either way though it keeps you a little less loaded down. I know on DS rides I tend to keep my jacket on because it is such a pain to remove the pack and then the jacket. Then reverse the process to ride again.

I have a Camelbak BlowFish, holds 3 liters. Did 'bout 1300 miles this past weekend in 85 to 105 degree heat, drank it dry about every 250 miles or so.

Have only two very minor negatives... I need to insulate the supply tube from the bladder to the bite valve so it doesn't get as warm, and the length slightly interferes with the BackUp back rest on my LT. Of course, your mileage may vary... ;-)

For the "hot first sip" problem, just blow back what's left in the tube after you drink. The tube will get warm, but only filled with air. The next time you drink it will take a second or two to get the water back to the valve but it will always be cool/cold (I fill with ice and add water when I start the day).

I have a free one I got for test riding a buell, it will hold my keys wjhen riding off road. Though i really wish it were bigger, I think it's only 1.5 liters.
I've been eyeing the camelpak Mule for a while now

I saw the Gerber ones also, and they quality looks good

Great thread idea.

I use the Blackhawk Tsunami. 3L of H2O, 90* bite valve with manual on/off too, webbing to lash anything to it, and storage for the most basic survival gear... MRE, basic first aid kit, knife, magnesium fire starter, headlamp... It's my "worst case scenario" plan in case I have to walk crawl out of somewhere.

Once you're finished getting a drink in the summer blow air back into the hose to clear it to prevent your next drink from being hot.

18-896-IMG1.jpeg

I had to ditch the 90 deg. bite valve on mine, it wouldn't fit between my mouth and the chin bar on my helmet, so i went back to the regular bite valve since I could get it to angle down and work.

I was using a pretty basic 1.5 litre Camelback but have now switched to carrying the bladder in my tank bag. I extend about 1 foot of drink tube out through the top flap zip and velcro the tube (near the mouth piece end) to the side of the bag.

Just got jack of taking the hydration pack on and off with my jacket at each stop, especially in hot weather!

If you want one that you can use without stopping I found the Bell one in the walmart bicycle section works. It has a straight pull end and you can fit it up the bottom of you helmet to your mouth. Just remember to close it before letting go or you'll get a pee stain. LOL

I've been using a generic version for several years and it worked fine, except... the mouth of the bladder was small and getting ice into it was always a pain. On a recent extended trip my 3 riding partners had Camelback with wide mouths. They just held it under the ice dispenser at the convence store soda fountain and went on their way... left me forcing ice into mine by hand.
I now own a 2-liter camelback.
I wear it outside my jacket and I use both the chest and waist cinch strap.

Camelback has certainly improved their design over the years and I had one with that tiny opening along with a few others. They even made a special ice tray so you could make a long round cube that would slide into the opening. :doh:

If you want one that's really easy to fill and clean try the 3L Lezyne. Basically just a fancy ziploc bag. You can even turn it inside out to clean it. I used mine for the first time this past weekend and it's great. The pack is very adjustable for comfort issues and has gobs of storage space. The bite valve is nice too since the angle can be adjusted to suit your needs.

Lezyne Smart Pack

lezyne_smartpack.jpg

lezyne-BLADDER-zoom.jpg

I've tried many variations on the Camelbaks and clones and have settled now on a smaller setup.

I have a 500ml pack that goes into a gallon ziplock with the tube sticking out, and then into my tankbag. It has the insulated tube and I zip it up to the front left corner of my bag with the tube in the tankbag and the straight bitevalve sticking out.

I also blow air into the tube after drinking to avoid the first hot sip problem.

I did go ahead and buy a Camelbak branded ice cube tray that makes 1" diameter long ice cubes, as they are easier to insert into the pack and last longer. Due to the lower capacity, I'll refill my pack at a lunch stop halfway into the ride, but it fits better in my tankbag than a 1000ml resevoir.

I wear a Camelback Fanny Pack so it straps around my waist and all the weight of it sits on the seat when riding. I've used a regular Camelback and don't like the straps around my shoulder or weight on my back.

It has a two quart bladder, which is about one qt. more than my bladder so I can go a long way before I stop.

Back