• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Warning RE: Travel in Mexico

Not exactly apples to apples..

I did not find in any of those articles where the doctors and police/security just stepped back and did nothing while the assasins did their thing. I did not read in any of those articles where law enforcement just watched the shooter calmy walk to their vehicle and drive away with no attempt even made to disrupt them.

Yeah people shoot other people in hospitals here in the states.. but show me an article where the US law enforcement just steps back and lets it happen unhindered because they are too afraid to do their jobs.. you find an article like that, and then you will have apples to apples.

Seven incidents in the states and only one is gang/drug related, six are just plain old run of the mill nut jobs...targeting anyone in their way.

Not exactly apples to apples..

Oh, it is a bit more apples to apples than most will be willing to admit. Here's why:

This thread is about traveler's safety in Mexico.

In the original referenced incident in Mexico, the violence was drug-thug to drug-thug. No one else was involved. In some of the US-related shootings referenced, violence was directed at hospital staff, responders, and in some cases, anyone in the general area. Not the case in the Mexican scenario.

Therefore, as traveler present during the incident, Mexico would have been the safer scenario.

It is difficult for us to admit that US culture, in general, is far more violent than Mexican culture. In fact, Mexican culture is far less tolerant of violence than ours. Go see for yourself.

Good points... although your points provide more evidence that it's NOT apples to apples... thug on thug vs. psycho on anyone in the vicinity... not apples to apples.

I will say however, that when it is common knowledge that a person can walk into a public hopsital where there is armed security, assinate a patient, and not have to worry about law enforcement trying to stop them, it fosters an environment where this type of action will most likely be more commonplace.

With that said, I still say your post makes good points, and I will also say that given the examples provided, I would definately have felt more safe being a bystander in the Mexico hospital shooting that was cited, than I would have in any of the US examples. In the mexican example, the motive and intention of the assasin was fairly understood to all the bystanders, whereas, in the US examples, it was chaos and nobody knew what the shooter might or might not do.
All examples would have been chilling to witness, but the US examples would have had me fearing for my own safety moreso than the Mexican example.

..and now you have convinced me not to travel in the US...way to go, Ixta... thanks for taking away my security blanket... my soft and fuzzy security blanket that shields me form anything and everything. :-P
I will be going straight home from work tonight and I won't be leaving the house at all this weekend until I have to return to work on Monday.

..unless I run out of beer. :party:

..at least I have my priorities straight.

Also, it is possible that in the Mexican hospital, the security guards may not have been armed and the "military types" in the street may have been backup for the shooters...

I will say however, that when it is common knowledge that a person can walk into a public hopsital where there is armed security, assinate a patient, and not have to worry about law enforcement trying to stop them, it fosters an environment where this type of action will most likely be more commonplace.

looks like a couple of brothers have gone missing when they were waiting to get into a ranch to go ride dirt bikes outside of Nuevo Laredo. I can't dig up the article as LMT requires a subscription code to access it online. I'm willing to bet they may have been taken for their truck. Even the ranch hand at the place they were at is missing.

New warning?

Are you trying to warn us about hooligans on sport bikes racing around in the mountains? I can find many places on this side of the border where there is similar danger. ;-) Really, I'm just jokin' with ya, in case you can't tell.

Seriously, a comment might help get your point across otherwise you just leave us filing in the blanks left by the silence and no a picture doesn't always replace words. I think we all get it that some people have no concerns going across the border. The intent of the thread was to share information. What do you have to say?

Re: New warning?

Are you trying to warn us about hooligans on sport bikes racing around in the mountains? I can find many places on this side of the border where there is similar danger. ;-) Really, I'm just jokin' with ya, in case you can't tell.

Seriously, a comment might help get your point across otherwise you just leave us filing in the blanks left by the silence and no a picture doesn't always replace words. I think we all get it that some people have no concerns going across the border. The intent of the thread was to share information. What do you have to say?

This is video recently uploaded of locals in north Mexico the point is that no all is killing but I guess I shooed post it some where else ... My bad, can erase it ?
Thank s

Re: New warning?

This is video recently uploaded of locals in north Mexico the point is that no all is killing but I guess I shooed post it some where else ... My bad, can erase it ?
Thank s

Ah, it didn't look like a video, just a photo. I just watched it, you guys like to ride fast. :rider: No need to erase anything. I think most understand it's not all killing. But the war is active in the northeastern states. There are parts of Houston I don't go to, and there are parts of Mexico that I will stay away from.

I'll be travelling by cruise ship to Cozumel for Christmas, but it seems like a world away from all these troubles. Hopefully the most excitement we see comes from too many margaritas.

I'll be travelling by cruise ship to Cozumel for Christmas, but it seems like a world away from all these troubles. Hopefully the most excitement we see comes from too many margaritas.

Hope is not the carnival splendor I would rather take a couple of this
1115771015_ugYkL-L.jpg

instead of the margaritas... have fun :clap:

Heh, thanks. We can only bring a bottle of wine or champagne each person, or else I would be bringing some good scotch ;)

Saw this on the Top Gear site and thought I'd share it here.

Mexico via Cayman

Thanks for posting that; I enjoyed reading the story. Loved this photo.....

670x377Image.jpg

Perhaps the best line was at the end referring to the danger...
Were we ever close to it? Who knows? That's the problem with hidden dangers: they remain hidden until the moment you have a machete to your throat and a crazed Mexican asking if you like to dance real slow. But, beyond our own paranoia, the greatest threat we've encountered has been a big slow truck.

I don't know if anyone has seen this on the news, but it is not good, and will probably be ignored by Napolitano and DHS as she demands politeness in criticism towards border security.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12476900

A US immigration and customs agent has been shot dead and a second wounded in an attack on their car in Mexico.

Officials say the pair were shot "in the line of duty" on a road in San Luis Potosi, between Mexico City and the northern city of Monterrey.

Some reports suggest they were attacked after stopping at what appeared to be a military checkpoint.

US Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said she was "deeply saddened" by the attack.

"Any act of violence against our personnel... is an attack against all those who serve our nation and put their lives at risk for our safety," she said.
Ice agent Jaime Zapata Mr Zapata joined the agency in 2006 after working as a border patrol agent

She added that the US was committed to supporting Mexico's efforts to combat violence within its borders.

Tuesday's attack occurred near the city of San Luis Potosi, some 200 miles (320km) north of Mexico City.

One of the agents, Jaime Zapata, was critically wounded and later died from his injuries while the second, as yet unidentified, was shot in the arm and leg and remains in a stable condition.

The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency (ICE) said it was working with Mexican authorities to investigate the shooting.

In a statement, the Mexican foreign relations secretariat condemned the attack and said federal and state authorities would work together to investigate.

Meanwhile, the Dallas Morning News, citing an unnamed US law enforcement official, said the agents were probably unarmed and were shot as they approached an unofficial checkpoint apparently run by members of a paramilitary drug gang.

The US has offered its help to bring the perpetrators to justice - the same kind of bilateral collaboration that the agents are believed to have been working on, until they met their fate on a Mexican road.

Mr Zapata, a native of Texas, joined ICE in 2006 after working as a border patrol agent.

He was assigned to the agency's human smuggling and trafficking unit, and was recently on attachment to the ICE office within the US embassy in Mexico City, the agency said in a statement.

The BBC's Julian Miglierini in Mexico City says parts of the road where the incident occurred - Highway 57 - are regarded as dangerous, and it is not yet clear whether the killing was drug related.

In the past four years, some 34,600 people have died in drug-related violence, according to official government figures.

Though there are high levels of violence among members of competing drug cartels in the country, US officials are rarely targeted.

In March 2010 a US consulate employee, her husband and a Mexican national were killed by suspected drug gang members in Ciudad Juarez but although there have been arrests in that case, the motive for the shooting is still unclear.
Agents increase

Tuesday's murder was the highest-profile killing of a US official in Mexico since 1985, when an undercover Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agent was kidnapped, tortured and killed while on assignment in Mexico. The murder of agent Enrique "Kiki" Camarena strained US-Mexico ties at the time.

The latest attack came as a US report revealed that a fifth of the Mexico border, some 375 miles (600km), was not adequately guarded.
Locator map

The investigative arm of Congress, the Government Accountability Office (GAO), said the area lacked enough border agents to stop illicit activity such as gun-running and illegal immigration.

The GAO report said the US had spent $3bn last year on controlling its southern border.

It said it had been able to increase the area under control by building more fences and increasing the number of agents from 10,000 to 17,500.

Security at the US-Mexico border has long been a hot political issue, with many in the southern United States calling for more to be done to stop drug smugglers and human traffickers from entering the US.

And then there's this little gem from the Valley

http://www.krgv.com/news/local/story/Possible-Mexican-Military-Incursion-On-U-S-Soil/x_-oXhrE3Um61ytja1xnKg.cspx

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone has seen this on the news, but it is not good, and will probably be ignored by Napolitano and DHS as she demands politeness in criticism towards border security.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12476900

And then there's this little gem from the Valley

http://www.krgv.com/news/local/story/Possible-Mexican-Military-Incursion-On-U-S-Soil/x_-oXhrE3Um61ytja1xnKg.cspx

Only 34,600 drug-related murders in Mexico in 4 years? Rank amateurs. Americans die at twice that rate just from driving drunk.

Everything is corrupt in the Valley and I personally hope I never have too go back there. Living there for the time I did and not being Hispanic was the worst thing I and my wife and children have done in our lives.

MEXICO ONLINE GUESS MEXICO IS NOT FOR EVERYBODY

FURIOUS MEXICO'S CONGRESS., NOW WANTS TO SEND TO U.S.A. ALL THE COCAINE THEY HAVE CONFISCATED TO SEE WHERE IT ENDS UP

US immigration agent shot dead in Mexico THEY WERE IN AN ARMORED VEHICLE DID THEY ROLL DOWN THE WINDOW OR DID THEY OPEN THE DOOR?
GO FIGURE,...

The ATF has a list of all the serial numbered guns they let go across the boarder. Get this list and see how many people the ATF Murdered.
This new warning was issued by the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT who nobody thrusts

Last edited:
So how do you stay inconspicuous in Mex? What bike do you ride? How do you dress? I was often mistaken for being Mexican when I was working as a bus boy. So I think I might be able to pass under the narco radar.

Back