• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lampasas to San Saba on FM 580

Hagrid

Reaction score
Several posts have mentioned a road near the Colorado River that meets prerequisites for biker asphalt.

Fortunately and accidentally I discovered 580 during an outing to Colorado Bend State park last week.

Picked up 580 as we left Lampasas and realized I had to pay attention while driving the SUV. (Yea I got one of those thingy’s too).

The park is located mid way up the road and we turned off but I vowed to return on Sunday with the bike.

Glad I did cause the second half trumps the 1st.

I rate the first half at 6/10 biker squiggleys. The second half truly rocks and deserves a good 8/10 sqiggleys.

Howdy,

:tab Thanks for coming out of the woodwork and sharing this with us ;-) We have a big number of lurkers here compared to the active posters. Just thinking about that road really makes me want to run back out there. It is just so far from here! Glad you enjoyed it. How far is it from your home?

I live in Killeen. That makes 580 about 30 minutes west of me.

Contrary to what many Texas riders believe the hill country extends quite a bit north of Austin.

I've only recently broken my habit of automatically heading southwest. Bout time, cause there are more than a few challenging roads up this way.

Back