• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Helmet Hangers?

10-95

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what y'all do with your helmets when you go somewhere and have to be away from the bike? I know the safest thing to do with my $400 helmet is to carry it with me, but that is not always practical.

My solution has been to buy a short 3/8 coated cable and lock it around the chinbar and run it thru my shock, since there isn't a hanger on the bike.

Anybody have any novel approaches to this problem?

Howdy,

:tab Um... I get mine so funky no one else would ever want to wear it :-P So the only thing I have to worry about is someone that is just plain malicious, not someone really wanting a helmet to use or sell, hehe. But hey... your mileage may vary :shrug:

Adios,

I have a padlock with a 2" U on it that I usually use as a 'poor man's disc lock' and often slip an end of the U through the D-rings. I do this on the side that faces away from whatever building I've gone into so folks see a helmet locked to the wheel and know that it won't roll right off. I've also used this lock to fix the helmet to the rear cargo rack, and on a bike I used to own I used it to secure the helmet to the unoccupied mirror mounting hole on the grip assembly (the bike had fairning-mounted mirrors).

Mine's so cheap, I have been hoping for someone to steal it. :lol:

Park next to someone with a more expensive helmet sitting on their bike! :lol:

I was worried about this at the RoT rally last year, so I waited to see if one of the guys I went there with left his helmet on the bike. He left his, so I figured no one would take my plain black one. This was on sixth street btw, not the actual rally. I would hope an area full of bikers wouldnt mess with it, but there are some "odd" people in Austin. ;-)

Tourmeister said:
Howdy,

:tab Um... I get mine so funky no one else would ever want to wear it :-P So the only thing I have to worry about is someone that is just plain malicious, not someone really wanting a helmet to use or sell, hehe. But hey... your mileage may vary :shrug:

Adios,

Uh, me too. One wiff should be more than enough to keep anyone from really wanting it. :puke:

:tab Actually, I don't really have a problem with the helmet smelling. I have read of many people doing all kinds of stuff to the helmet because of the smell. Maybe it is because my hair is so short and thin? :oops: Or maybe it's like a gas thing, only your own smells good :shock:

Adios,

At a BMW rally I met a guy from New York with an interesting solution. The problem there is that they have a helmet law, so anyone not wearing a helmet is always stopped by the police.

The ususal helmet locks that depend on the D-ring would not work because theives simply cut the helmet strap. They didn't care if it was safe, they just needed something on their heads to keep the cops from stopping them after they'd boosted someone's bike.

His solution was to run one of those packlocks with the very, very large "U" through the bolt hole that would have held on his rear peg. The hole fit the "U" perfectly.

His padlock was large enough to go around the chin piece of his full face helment.

Kinda like this with the really long "U"...

gsl_gensec_1groupwkey.jpg

Maybe this would be less of a pain than having to carry around that cable.

i googled CABLE LOCK & the following came up, amongst MANY...

http://www.bing.com/shopping/krypto...CE45006?q=cable+lock&lpq=cable lock&FORM=HURE

as for me, i use a coated, stainless steel, marine cable

i swaged loops on each end & just use my master lock(keyed like the one on my garage & barn, you know 1 key fits all)

depending on the length of the cable, you can also run it thru the sleeves of your jacket & nestle everything on the handle bars

many sailboat shops, West Marine & marinas, etc... have the ability to do the swaging for you and usually have short pieces of flexible cable available

when not in use, coil it up in your tank bag

or you could just hang the helmet on the high side passenger foot peg

shiny side up

I was wondering what y'all do with your helmets when you go somewhere and have to be away from the bike? I know the safest thing to do with my $400 helmet is to carry it with me, but that is not always practical.

My solution has been to buy a short 3/8 coated cable and lock it around the chinbar and run it thru my shock, since there isn't a hanger on the bike.

Anybody have any novel approaches to this problem?

pop the seat and look at the left side frame rail for a metal tab pointing down, you hook the D-ring on that and put the seat back on.

Suzuki can be cheap but not so cheap to not put something on the bike to secure a helmet with. my 80 1000G has the tab and the SV has the tab.

Back