• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for a good Honda dealer

wczimmerman

The ORIGINAL Pie Man
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using Barger's AllSports for about 2 years now with excellent results. But my thermostat seems to have failed for the second time in 17K miles and so far I have not been impressed with the service response from Bargers. They told me they would have to call Honda for a second warranty repair to the same part and to call them back today to find out what Honda had to say. Well, they haven't called yet (I checked) so I would like to see what other dealers folks here have had good experiences with. I'm not giving up on Barger's but if they end up dragging their feet on this, I'll switch to someone else. I know it sounds petty, but my bike is my primary means of transportation, so when it's down I'm hurting. With Barger's I usually pay a $25 fee to have whatever parts they need overnighted so I get the bike back quickly.

I live in Temple, but I don't mind driving a bit to get good service. I see there's a dealer in Georgetown. Any good? According to their website, they even take appointments.

Guess Honda of Houston is a little far to drive. How about an Aprilia or Duc or Triumph? Mark Andrews is a friend of mine, Euro Shop Waco. He's good people. I've often though if I went with a Triumph I'd get it from Mark even though I'd have to drive 4.5 hours to get up there. It'd be worth the extra mileage. Have to go to Houston anyway, if not. No Triumph dealers down here in Podunk.

Jack Giesecke said:
Guess Honda of Houston is a little far to drive. How about an Aprilia or Duc or Triumph? Mark Andrews is a friend of mine, Euro Shop Waco. He's good people. I've often though if I went with a Triumph I'd get it from Mark even though I'd have to drive 4.5 hours to get up there. It'd be worth the extra mileage. Have to go to Houston anyway, if not. No Triumph dealers down here in Podunk.

Yeah, that's a bit far. :rofl

A friend bought his VTX from I35 honda in San Marcos , Nothing but good service and the price was right . SEYA

Woods Honda in Austin is O.K. It is located on IH35 between the Braker and Parmer exits on the east side of the road. They are a mega dealer (all brands) and use to a good service department. I haven't used them in a while but they have long hours and I think they are also open on mondays.

Joe Harrison Honda in San Antonio is also good. I have had a lot of service done there and been pretty happy with them. They are also on IH35 just before you get to the 410 exit. Pretty far from Temple though.

If you need really good service go to Zabor's motorcycle Repair on North Burnet Road in Austin. The guy is a great mechanic. I highly recommend hsi shop. He only repairs Japanese motorcycles.

Give Woods a try if you can't find anyone else.

SilVFR said:
Woods Honda in Austin is O.K. It is located on IH35 between the Braker and Parmer exits on the east side of the road. They are a mega dealer (all brands) and use to a good service department. I haven't used them in a while but they have long hours and I think they are also open on mondays.

Joe Harrison Honda in San Antonio is also good. I have had a lot of service done there and been pretty happy with them. They are also on IH35 just before you get to the 410 exit. Pretty far from Temple though.

If you need really good service go to Zabor's motorcycle Repair on North Burnet Road in Austin. The guy is a great mechanic. I highly recommend hsi shop. He only repairs Japanese motorcycles.

Give Woods a try if you can't find anyone else.

Hmmm...thanks! This will be a warranty repair, so it'll need to be a Honda dealer. I'll check out Woods if Barger's let's me down.

wczimmerman said:
Yeah, that's a bit far. :rofl

Far? I'm going to give HoH a shot for my next major service. Houston has got to be closer to you than it is me. ;)

Yes, but you like riding 1K miles in less than 24 hours... :-P

I've been up to the Georgetown dealership several times to visit. Low pressure on the sales side, which I always consider good. Haven't had any work done, but have used the parts department and they were knowledgeable and friendly and had the parts. Also good things. I have a friend with a Goldwing that goes up there instead of to Woods. I think it is partially the ride is less traffic, but they have been good to him so he keeps going back.

If I had a Honda that needed some work I'd give them a try based on my current experience.

I have to give a BIG thumbs up to Extreme Outdoor Motors (otherwise known as the Honda dealer in Georgetown). Without getting into the details, let's just say a little situation that would have turned into a battle at most places was instead resolved beyond my wildest dreams. I estimate they lost about $700 making it right.

Later, as I was having my father-in-laws almost 20 year old fourwheeler worked on, they took pains to call and discuss almost everything to keep me from throwing too much money away.

I'd say you can go there with confidence.

As to Woods, well, I wouldn't whiz on them if they were on fire. They supposedly have gotten better, but I have some really bad experiences with them from the early days of the UberHawk...

I say thumbs up to the dealer in Georgetown and New Braunfels both good dealerships. I like Northwest Honda in Houston but have had no dealings with them since Bob Lunsford retired ( been a few years) Grew up in Bellville with Ronnie and his sister Jeri they are good folks.

Thanks everyone! If Barger's doesn't pan out, I may just give Georgetown Honda a call and make an appointment for the repair.

Tourmeister said:
Yes, but you like riding 1K miles in less than 24 hours... :-P

Actually ... 1500 in 24 hours is better. ;)

I don't have any real gripes with the shop that's been doing my service out in Denton, except that it seems to be pretty obvious that they don't see hardly any ST1300s, and it seems like every time they see mine it's for something they haven't done before. I can read a shop manual as well as the next person, so I just have a hard time paying someone to do something I can do right here.

Honda of Houston has been very interested in talks to work on the bike, and has been willing to work around scheduling issues like my having to ride 4 hours to get down to them. With another coast-to-coast trip planned for the Spring ... it's nice having a dealer right there along the way who's familiar with my bike ... should I need anything. Next year's twist is that I'll do the coast-to-coast-to-coast ... so I just might hit a major service interval on my way home.

I've only dealt with the Georgetown folks once but I would give them a thumbs up. They are about 1/2 mile from my house if you need help with the visit.

I deal with Honda West Cleburne, they have been good as far as service goes though the only thing they have done is mount my tires the rest I do myself. They also might be a little further then you want to drive.

Honda Georgetown seemed nice enough when I was talking to them about a ST. Though Woods was much more willing to deal on the prices. But sales and service are two very different departments.

Rocket_Cowboy said:
Actually ... 1500 in 24 hours is better. ;)

I don't have any real gripes with the shop that's been doing my service out in Denton, except that it seems to be pretty obvious that they don't see hardly any ST1300s, and it seems like every time they see mine it's for something they haven't done before. I can read a shop manual as well as the next person, so I just have a hard time paying someone to do something I can do right here.

Honda of Houston has been very interested in talks to work on the bike, and has been willing to work around scheduling issues like my having to ride 4 hours to get down to them. With another coast-to-coast trip planned for the Spring ... it's nice having a dealer right there along the way who's familiar with my bike ... should I need anything. Next year's twist is that I'll do the coast-to-coast-to-coast ... so I just might hit a major service interval on my way home.

The head mechanic at the honda shop in Sherman rides an ST1300. Danny is also a straight forward man who cares about bikes, not money. Might be worth the trip if you need warrenty work done.

FirstMan said:
The head mechanic at the honda shop in Sherman rides an ST1300. Danny is also a straight forward man who cares about bikes, not money. Might be worth the trip if you need warrenty work done.

The Honda shop up in Sherman ... they aren't a combined Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer as well, are they? Assuming they aren't, I might just have to check them out!

Rocket_Cowboy said:
The Honda shop up in Sherman ... they aren't a combined Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer as well, are they? Assuming they aren't, I might just have to check them out!

Heck no. i would never send anyone to the place on 75 which you speak of. The honda shop is on Texoma parkway. Small shop.

They are the only reason I ride a honda instead of a FJR1300! Good service is worth a lot to me.

Edit: I haven't been in the past year, so they might have changed a little, but I hope not!

FirstMan said:
Heck no. i would never send anyone to the place on 75 which you speak of. The honda shop is on Texoma parkway. Small shop.

They are the only reason I ride a honda instead of a FJR1300! Good service is worth a lot to me.

Edit: I haven't been in the past year, so they might have changed a little, but I hope not!

Thanks for the heads up ... I'll definitely check them out.

Speaking of NW Honda:

Robert "Bob" Lunsford, Sr., passed away Tuesday, September 27th at his home in Belleville, Texas. Lunsford was 72. Bob was an active member of the motorcycle industry, purchasing the Honda dealership in downtown Houston, Texas in 1967 and moving it in 1972 to north Houston. Bob Lunsford's Northwest Honda is presently run by Bob's son, Ronnie Lunsford, a longtime racer with the Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association. A funeral service will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, September 30th at St. John Lutheran Church in Belleville. Cards and remembrances may be sent to Ronnie Lunsford, c/o Bob Lunsford's Northwest Honda, 10102 North Freeway, Houston, TX 77037.

Don't look in Austin

I have not heard to many good stories out of Woods, I myself like to support local shops and I went in and asked for a lead acid battery for my XII. Parts guy looks at his chart and says "they don't make them for that anymore, but we can get you the sealed for (get this) $125" did not even wince when he said it. I went to Power Sports in Gerogetown and they ordered the lead acid for me and told me it would be $75 and "sorry it is so pricey". And another thing.... spark plug wires, you know they don't list them for the XII as it is a given you well use after market. Went to Woods after I looked up the info on Bike Bandit and confirmed it with my XII parts CD. No wire, ask the parts guy for some wires for me lovley and he hollers back "do they make spark plug wires for the Voyager" because he couldn't find any in the "puter "No" was the answer from the back , it was like ,man they have Tucker Rocky, Dennis Kirk catalogs and they don't have enough sense to listen to a customer tell them "they make after market wires". No warm fuzzies here folks, I do not know who owns that dealership now but me thinks they don't ride or care about motorcycling, just sell them bikes and there is no mark down, in fact I have friends tell about the close calls with bad deals they offer. The Georgetown shop is a nice place, I have delt with the parts guys and they are knowlegable, or were if they have the same folks there.

Yeah Jack,

That hit me hard...I bought my first XL100 from NW Honda back in the day when Bob would come out and check on what a snot nosed 15 year old kid was buying, and tell his dad what a fine choice he made.

All my bikes until I left Houston were Hondas, mostly for that reason. Can't really get out of some work stuff to be at the service, but that was my first thought when I read the RRW note.

RIP Bob.

As to Woods, they are now owned by Americas PowerSports.

It says right on their website that "Our mission is to become the leading power sports retailer by building the largest and most customer-focused dealer network, by acquiring or developing best-in-class dealers, growing their businesses and creating assets and earnings that maximize long term profitability and shareholder value".

Nothing about riding motorcycles there...and in my experience whenever you see the term "maximize shareholder value" or any variant thereof - RUN!!!

Back