• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bluebonnet Cafe - Marble Falls, TX

Reaction score
What: The Bluebonnet Cafe is a wonderful old-timey restaurant in Marble Falls (it's on the east side of 281, just north of the river, kind of nondescript building, you have to look for it; well, I did :shrug: ).

Great basic breakfasts, and I've heard it's worth a pie run, too.

food.hillcountry3.jpg

Where:
The Blue Bonnet Cafe
211 Hwy 281
Marble Falls, Texas 78654
John & Belinda Kemper..... (830) 693-2344

Directions: Take 1431 to get there from Cedar Park, or PR4 to 281 from Llano; that's actually 1/2 the fun of getting to this place. :dude: Head South on 281 and just before the bridge, the restaurant will be on the left. It is a pale blue building.

Bluebonnet Cafe Off the mark

This weekend I rode with 2 friends from Dallas to Cedar Park to Marbell Falls to Fredericksburg(Oktober Fest) to Bee Cave to the Oasis restaurant and back to Cedar for an overnight sleep.
We had breakfast at the famous Bluebonnet Cafe at Marbel Falls.
I heard and read, that they are great and have awesome food.
Well, they were on an off day, because the coffee was cold, the fried eggs were cold and the cheese on my friends omellete was not melted.
The service was good, the toast were awesome as the bacon, but the food in general SUCKED this day!!!
The place was crowded, but the line kept moving fast.
I guess I'll give it another try soon, but I won't have my hopes set too high for next time.

Last edited:
Re: Bluebonnet Cafe Off the mark

Did you call the waitress's (or waiter) attention to the food? I'll bet they would have made it right. Places like this live on their reputation.

txmedic said:
Did you call the waitress's (or waiter) attention to the food? I'll bet they would have made it right. Places like this live on their reputation.

No, I did not and I'll tell you why.
I never send back food, because they can spit or drop it on the floor and the cook and help are having a big laugh at my expense.
I can hear the cook saying: "I'll give you cold eggs...", while rubbing the toast on his [expletive removed] and spitting inside the omellete to warm it up.
If it's terrible, I won't eat it, but won't give them the chance to make it right.
The saying goes: "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".
They should have done it right the first time around, not the second time.
You only have one chance to make a "first" right impression, you don't do a "first" right impression on the second try.
Why were the toast and bacon good and the eggs cold and cheese not melted???
Did someone send those back for the same reason and then serve them to us???
Like I said, I'll give them a chance, but won't set my hopes too high next time.
With this post, I'm only posting my experience and I know thousands have had a great experience or they don't know squat about food.
I'm a non certified food critic and eating is my hobby.
So, I will be back soon and report then to you.
Till then happy eatings.

Last edited by a moderator:

I worked as a cook for awhile and we never dreamed of doing that to food. Sometimes something slips by and if the customer didnt like it and sent it back, we fixed it. I worked at a nice restaurant though, not a 24hr diner type of place.

Back on topic, I have been to the bluebonnet twice and both times were very crowded. The food was good, but I hate feeling rushed and I like being able to spread out.

I moved this thread from the "Eateries" to the "General" forum because it did not conform to the special posting format of the "Eateries" forum located here.

Negative reviews are allowed in the "Eateries" forum, but the must be in format.

Oops! I didn't look far enough down.

Would you merge them for me? I lose that ability after it's moved to "General".

I was at the Bluebonnet cafe on Sunday and I thought they were pretty good. I was busy but what do you expect on a sunday ~1pm. The food service was fast and it was all good. They weren't the best cheese enchilada's that I had ever had but far from the worst and the pie more then made up for them. :hail: :hail:

I gotta add my .02.

My in-laws took me to this place on Friday evening, Oct 28th. I had high expectations from reading the comments here. Boy was I disappointed.

First, I don't like standing in line. We waited maybe 20min for a table for 4. Not bad but I'd rather have Mickey D's than wait in line. 2nd, I don't like waitresses that don't have time for you. Our waitress evidently wanted to socialize with a table of her friends rather than wait on us. Never before have I seen a waitress with poor service like that. 3rd, How the heck do you screw up a salad with grilled chicken? :brainsnap The lettuce was wilted, the cheese was from a can and I bet there was a bottle of dressing drowning the poor thing. I couldn't eat it and I'm known for a cast iron stomach.

I never leave w/o leaving a tip, usually well over the 15% "suggestion". Good service should be rewarded because waiters/waitresses have a HARD job. This ol' lady ticked me off. I didn't leave anything(guess I can't say I never leave w/o leaving a tip anymore). I think my father in law left a dollar or two. Sorry, but bad manners and bad service deserve nothing less.

We all wanted the pie but our "server" was too busy to check if we wanted something else so we left and went to a place called "Angel's" on SH71. The in laws raved about the food and desserts but I wasn't impressed. It just looked like a weekend biker/poser bar that served a minimal menu. I had the lemon pie and it was nothing to rave about.

:tab The BB Cafe has been popular a long time. Perhaps their success is getting the best of them and they have become complacent? I have not been in a long time, but the last time I was there, it was nothing special, just another greasy diner.

:tab Now Mac&Ernie's out in Tarpley... :bow:

WOW!!!!!!
So I'm not alone, although I will give them a second chance soon and will report back ASAP.

I wonder if the management has any clue? If folks never say anything to them... well :shrug:

For 3 yrs, I lived in Granite Shoals, 6 mi west of Marble Falls. I ate at the B.B. Cafe many times. I never had a bad experience. On one occasion, I had an order of Liver and Onions... the liver was over cooked. I sent it back. They made it RIGHT without a quibble. At no other time did I ever even consider sending something back, it was good to excellent each time. They do have fine PIE.

JR aka grumpy

I live in the area NW of Marble Falls, eat at the Bluebonnet average of once every other week, and have lived out here for 10 years at that pace. I could do the math, but you get the idea. Wife and I, as well as many friends and family that we've taken there have never had anything but praise for the food and generally the service. I won't claim that a waitress wasn't having her best day once in a while, as it would be hard not to with that kind of a constant crowd. Everywhere I go in the USA and someone asks where I'm from, the mere mention of Marble Falls brings on Bluebonnet Cafe conversation. I know many many bikers that do a pie and coffee run by the Bluebonnet Cafe.

Just thought I should post that there are many more positive experiences there!

I tried to eat there 2 weeks ago and the line was way out the door into the parking lot. That means one of 2 things, there is a movie star in there eating or the food is worth the wait. No food is worth that kind of a wait for me but that's me. I rather eat in a place with good food and a friendly roomy restaurant than a trendy place with excellent food. I have never heard a bad thing about the BB Cafe' but maybe when it's that busy the cooks can't take the time to get everything perfect and good enough is the rule. My $.02

My wife and I stopped at the Bluebonnet Cafe in February. We had spent the week in Fredericksburg at my daughters home. It had been a busy week and we had spent most of our pocket cash.
We we seated fairly quickly. I noticed on the menu that they did not accept credit or debit cards.
We told the waitress we wouldn't be able to dine.
She pointed out the ATM.
We ate. Food was okay. Dessert was okay. Not exceptional by any means.
To pay, I had to draw enough from the ATM to exceed the food bill.
There was $1.50 service fee.
The cashier took the ATM slip and used it for payment returning the difference in cash.
This is the 21st century. I don't believe I should be subsidizing their operating costs.
I have since found that another restaurant also refuses credit and debit cards. (Koffee Kup, their pie is better) These are the only two I know of and I make it a point to eat at non-franchise restaurants.

Summary: Worth a stop if you have enough cash. Not better or worse than any other.

Back