• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Passing on the Right

M2

Reaction score
OK, I know the law in Texas says you should keep right unless passing...

§ 545.051. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY. (a) An
operator on a roadway of sufficient width shall drive on the right
half of the roadway, unless:
(1) the operator is passing another vehicle;
(2) an obstruction necessitates moving the vehicle
left of the center of the roadway and the operator yields the
right-of-way to a vehicle that:
(A) is moving in the proper direction on the
unobstructed portion of the roadway; and
(B) is an immediate hazard;
(3) the operator is on a roadway divided into three
marked lanes for traffic; or
(4) the operator is on a roadway restricted to one-way
traffic.
(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly
than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under
the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane
available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the
right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:
(1) passing another vehicle; or
(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or
into a private road or driveway.
(c) An operator on a roadway having four or more lanes for
moving vehicles and providing for two-way movement of vehicles may
not drive left of the center line of the roadway except:
(1) as authorized by an official traffic-control
device designating a specified lane to the left side of the center
of the roadway for use by a vehicle not otherwise permitted to use
the lane;
(2) under the conditions described by Subsection
(a)(2); or
(3) in crossing the center line to make a left turn
into or out of an alley, private road, or driveway.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

But is it against the law to pass on the right here? In some states/countries it is, I was just wonder since many people don't obey § 545.051, I have a tendency to get around them in any lane that I can. And I am not just talking about when riding the motorcycle.

Just a quick story, I was driving on IH-10 in S.A. between 410 and 1604 the other day, and there was a Ford Mustang in the far left lane with a SAPD car behind it. The Mustang stuck in the left lane despite being able to move right (IAW § 545.051) and the cop car just sat on his bumper. They kept speeding up (the speed limit was 65, and I was "tracking" with them a few lanes to the right), and at one point I was well above the speed limit and they were still pulling away from me! Eventually the cop darted to the right and passed the car, then darted left back in front of it! Just another example of how bad people (including the cops) drive here! :eek2:

Cheers! M2

My understanding is that in Texas it is legal to pass a car on the right, on the shoulder IF:

- The car is in the process of making a left turn.
- There is a paved shoulder
- It is reasonably safe to do so.

John Bennett said:
My understanding is that in Texas it is legal to pass a car on the right, on the shoulder IF:

- The car is in the process of making a left turn.
- It is reasonably safe to do so.
That is correct John

I think most of the "passing on the right" has to do with a two-lane (one lane each way) road and not the multi-lane stuff...

There are too many bozos that think they have to be in the lefthand lane even if they are 15 mph below the speed limit... :roll:

I for one use that little known, but to other Texans "rule" is to pull over onto the paved shoulder to allow the vehicle behind you to pass safely. This is a "common courteousy" rule.

I like that courtesy. I'm proud it's a Texas Tradition.

I enjoy moving to the shoulder to allow others to pass. I enjoy passing others when they do it.

DaveC said:
I for one use that little known, but to other Texans "rule" is to pull over onto the paved shoulder to allow the vehicle behind you to pass safely. This is a "common courteousy" rule.

That is fairly common in the country. In Houston you would be hard pressed to find someone who would do that.

htown71 said:
That is fairly common in the country. In Houston you would be hard pressed to find someone who would do that.

Along that line I have proposed the following,

Once inside beltway eight, please refrain from using any common courtesy or signal devices, it confuses the other drivers.

Once on or inside the 610 loop, any use of turn signals will be an open invitation to the surrounding motorists to do anything in their power to keep you from taking the lane. If you really need the lane, signal the opposit direction, then take your lane, but this will only work once. You must do either 20 MPH over or under the posted limits, anything else will subject you to fines, citations , or being forcibly removed from the road way.

You must also accelerate past all visible traffic, and cut off as many drivers as possible to take your exit. This raises your "street cred" and moves you up in status points on the freeway. If you are behind 16 cars and your exit is 1/8 mile ahead, it is imperative that you pass them, and slow back to 10 mph under the limit before taking your exit.

Thanks for your participation .......:rofl: :rofl:

I think somebody's been stealing my status points. :giveup:

Eighteen wheelers and women reading novels and applying makeup while talking on the cell phone and steering with their knees should be banned from the left lane of Texas freeways.

fallendown said:
Along that line I have proposed the following,

Once inside beltway eight, please refrain from using any common courtesy or signal devices, it confuses the other drivers.

Once on or inside the 610 loop, any use of turn signals will be an open invitation to the surrounding motorists to do anything in their power to keep you from taking the lane. If you really need the lane, signal the opposit direction, then take your lane, but this will only work once. You must do either 20 MPH over or under the posted limits, anything else will subject you to fines, citations , or being forcibly removed from the road way.

You must also accelerate past all visible traffic, and cut off as many drivers as possible to take your exit. This raises your "street cred" and moves you up in status points on the freeway. If you are behind 16 cars and your exit is 1/8 mile ahead, it is imperative that you pass them, and slow back to 10 mph under the limit before taking your exit.

Thanks for your participation .......:rofl: :rofl:

You forgot:

When sitting in a backed up exit ramp or blocked lane, with traffic moving 70+ mph in the next lane, it is imperative that you pull into the adjacent moving lane without signal, warning, or even considering a glance in the rearview.

and

If pulling onto a major road from a cross street, and you have 8 feet of space to dart in front of oncoming traffic, or 3 miles of open space behind, it is imperative that you choose the former, then go 15 below the limit. Waiting the extra 1/8 of a second is grounds for public humiliation by naked fire walking.

Oh, and I pass on the right on multi-lane freeways, except for Tractor-trailer rigs. & not near off-ramps.

In Little Rock one important rule is:

When traffic is backed up for a quarter mile and sitting still in the right lane on I-430 trying waiting to get onto I-630 downtown you should stop in the center lane with your right signal on while trying to push your way into the stopped right lane.

(sniff, sniff)

Is there a faint odor of sarcasm in this thread? :rofl: ;-)

O.K., here's my stupid driver complaint: People who take chances AND drive worse when it's RAINING!!! Is it a visibility problem or are they just suicidal? I see it all the time in bad weather. Cannot figure that one out. :shrug:

Hey, you know what? I feel a lot better now! :thumb:

In Jones Creek, Texas, there is a two lane, Hwy 36, that goes to Brazoria. Actually, it runs from at least Freeport to Waco, but I was living on the San Bernard river south of Brazoria at the time and my parents in Jones Creek where I grew up and went to school. Anyway, my young wife and I were driving home from my mom's one afternoon and there was a guy turning left on Primrose off the highway and there was a large patch of caliche there presumably poured so as to pass on since there was a lot of traffic at Dow rush hour on that road. I pulled off at maybe 5 mph on what was quite apparently a passing spot for people turning left when the Jones Creek Barney Fife is coming the other way and stops me and tickets me. I'm still POed about that one. Funny how that Fife knew the "paved" thing, too. Not a trap, you reckon???? :rolleyes:

Now, Jones Creek has no taxes, incorporated as a village to keep Freeport from annexing them back in the early 70s. As a village, they're not required to provide water or sewer or trash collection. Their only source of income for the Fife and mayor and JP there is traffic tickets. Be aware of that if you ever find yourself in Jones Creek on Hwy 36. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I should have clarified that my question was concerning multi-lane roads heading in the same direction. Having ridden in Europe so much, I am used to the law that says you can only pass on the left side of any vehicle (UK excluded, of course). But understand that on most of the Continent, people will move over when you come up behind them at a greater speed. However, occassionally I did find I had to "break the law" and pass some jerk who felt he was going fast enough in the left lane.

I ask because I habitually pass in the right lane when I come across bozos who won't move over from the left lane when I come up behind them.

But know I know I am also OK to use the shoulder to pass a vehicle turning left as long as I:

- It is reasonably safe to do so

Cheers! M2

Yes, you can pass in the right lane. Lots of Americans drive with their heads where the sun don't shine and I come upon idiots running 55 in a 70 in the "fast lane" all the time. It ain't like Europe. No law to my knowledge says you can't use the right lane to get around one of these morons. If there is a law, I know that it's completely ignored even by the police. I've passed cops in the right lane before when they were running the left lane "flip flopping" at well below the speed limit (shooting radar in the on coming traffic).

Jack

I think passing on the right in some states (e.g. Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey) is illegal, based on this web site.

By the way, the same web site has the law for Texas...

§ 545.057. PASSING TO THE RIGHT. (a) An operator may pass to the right of another vehicle only if conditions permit safely passing to the right and:
(1) the vehicle being passed is making or about to make a left turn; and
(2) the operator is:
(A) on a highway having unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles and sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in each direction; or
(B) on a one-way street or on a roadway having traffic restricted to one direction of movement and the roadway is free from obstructions and wide enough for two or more lines of moving vehicles.
(b) An operator may not pass to the right by leaving the main traveled portion of a roadway except as provided by Section 545.058.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Cheers! M2

Back