• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Birthday of Texas Ride Report

Reaction score
I had a good ride overall today to the Washington-on-the-Brazos State Park for he Texas Independence Day celebrations there.

It was foggy when I left Lufkin this morning for Crockett at 8am. At 9am in Crockett I met up with a group of riders from the Rusk area.

At 10am on the side of I-45 in Madisonville we met up with a group of riders from the Palestine area. As we headed down Hwy 90 for Navasota there looked to be about 40 bikes in the group.

When we got to the Washington-on-the-Brazos State Park the workers there wouldn't let us park close to the visitor's center. All motorcyles had to park on the road outside the entrance to the park. That kinda sucked.

The museums and displays in the park were interesting. I learned a lot about Texas history. Best of all, there was no admission fee to the park this day. Usually it runs about $7.00 per head! :eek:

After looking at everything we gathered up and rode over to Yankee's biker bar in Carlos for beer and chow. We had a good time there hamming it up and shooting the breeze. For a bar, the food was quite good.

Everyone decided to split for home. The Palestine group headed out first. While in the parking lot gearing up we saw lots of police cars speeding past with their lights on. A motorcylist pulled into the parking lot and told us someone from Palestine had wrecked up the road.

We headed that way. About 2 miles northwest of Carlos on FM244 we came upon the Palestine group on the side of the road.

One of the Palestine group had taken a curve too hot on his Kawasaki Mean Streak and gotten into the ditch. He clipped a sign post and narrowly missed a big oak tree before crashing through a barbed-wire fence and sliding to a stop in a cow pasture.

Apparently it was a tricky curve because there was lot of old chrome and broken pieces of car trim laying around in that pasture near the fence.

He was concious and lucid when we arrived. Just to be safe, the EMT's immobilized him on a back-board and took him to the hospital in Bryan/College Station.

We helped load his bike onto the wrecker. Then everyone split for home. I came back to Lufkin solo through Huntsville and Groveton. (Blyech, ugly). Everyone else took a more northerly route.

Other than the crash, it was a good day of riding. My total miles today was 302. The sun never did come out, but it sure was nice to be out enjoying riding and comradery.

Back