• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: Family Trail ride & Camp out in Willis TX

Ralph

Reaction score
I am trying this again. 3rd time is a charm, so guaranteed NO RAIN! (maybe)
Date: Nov/14-16 2014, Friday night till noon on Sunday.
Discounted entrance fees: $13 rider, $5 non-rider, & $15 campsite (5 tent max) Must be out by noon on Sunday or pay another day fee.
No pre-registration, just show up.

170 acre private ranch*18 miles of trails*6 acre spring fed lake*camping*fishing*Easy new rider loop*
Family event, sooo drag the kids to Willis and I will fire up a camp fire on Saturday night for a Hot dog roast.

www.sterlingranchatv.com

:tab Given that we have not been on the bikes AT ALL since the last event... We will definitely try to make this one! The kids had a blast last time but I have had too much on my plate the last four months to take them riding again. I will be done with everything Oct 24th so the timing is great.

Glad to hear that you and the family will be there. All work and no play is no fun.

I'm a tentative attendee from Grapevine (Dallas). It all depends on what's for dinner and who's cooking? :rofl:

My two boys would love to make the trip and campout so I'll make it a best effort to attend.

It would be nice to have you guys there. I am sure Daniel would love having more boys to ride with. Camping is primitive unless you haul an RV. There are hotels a few minutes away in Willis though.

I'm going to try to make it as well, with both kids this time as long as nothing else gets in the way..

I'm sure we will find some dead animal to throw on the grill! My wife hates when I say that:lol2:.

I was at the ranch last weekend and the TORCS group was racing this ranch. Wow did they have fun. Lot's of new trails and camping areas.

It's confirmed. The Grapevine, TX boys will be there. We won't make it until late Friday night. Keep the light on for us.

Scott, you'd better be there.

n00b here, but definitely interested.

In the market for a bike for my son (14), much to his mother's disappointment. If we have it by then, we're in.

What's the trail like? Doable on a 700GS? New to dual sport so learning my limits.

There is some sand, so... knobbies would be nice but not absolutely necessary. It just depends on your comfort level. Knobbies just make it easier. What is really fun is ripping around on a little dirt bike.

Scott is correct. The smaller bikes on these trails are faster and just plain more fun. I am hauling my xr200 in for the weekend. Sure hope the weather stays like this!

Yeah, my KTM 530 is a bit much for this stuff. The little XR-80 and CRF-110 are both a hoot here. The XR200/230s would also be great.

I got a copy of the "Why we ride" movie, so I will bring my projector and sound equip for Saturday nights camp fire. Great movie about the evolution of bikes in a family context. Watching a movie under the stars with a fire on the side. Sweeeeet!

You got to bring the anti-rain thing! Please
If you want to bring something that would be great. I promise dogs and a campfire. I have Chili, cheese, and beans also. I got long sticks if anyone wants the dogs roasted over the fire. Brad also has a grill we can use.

I got a chance to ride Sterling Ranch today and try some of the new trails. Sweeeet!
The TORCS group built some great new trails. Much more technical than the ones at this event last time. That means we will have; the beginner loop, the Blue loop, and the Black Diamond loop or race route. Hats off to those that raced the "Black Diamond loop, a couple laps and my body is complaining. Can't wait

Does the Ranch have water for sponge baths and cooking cleanup? Website states Porta Potties so assuming there are no showers correct?

_

Brad is opening the Guest apartment to us. It has a single bathroom (with a flushing toilet) and a small kitchen. We did not speak on showers. The Porta Potties are gone. He also offered the property house facilities if needed. I will be back at the ranch on Tuesday morning to mark trails where needed and I will check out the apartment. There is running water at the Ranch house patio / apt area.

Back