• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

Trial by fire....I've river camped many...many times but never moto camped so I did the first few legs of the COBDR & camped...turned out pretty good...a little wet, but good.

Nice work!

I'm going to assume jig saw and dremel?

Thanks! I actually used a regular cut off wheel on a grinder, a hacksaw and file.
I cant take credit for the design though. It really is called the Little Dandy Stove. You can print out the templates to make your own. Was a fun little project actually.
The can is the same. But all you need is a razor knife or scissors and something to make a hole with. Look em up. You will have can stoves EVERYWHERE!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work!

I'm going to assume jig saw and dremel?

+1! I've found a coffee can with 4, inch-tall slots in the side right up against the still attached bottom, slots cut along each side and bottom, then flipped 90* to support old piece of grille cut to fit, is an excellent charcoal starter (dry paper under, charcoal or wood over) or an excellent stove for non-pressurized cooking fuels (gel and solids). A quick wipe and some painter tape I use to keep sun out of my helmet keep all cooking supplies secure. Not as pretty as the example, but cheap and easy.

Thanks! I actually used a regular cut off wheel on a grinder, a hacksaw and file.
I cant take credit for the design though. It really is called the Little Dandy Stove. You can print out the templates to make your own. Was a fun little project actually.
The can is the same. But all you need is a razor knife or scissors and something to make a hole with. Look em up. You will have can stoves EVERYWHERE!! Lol

I may have to try this Dandy Stove. Looks neat.

I tried the soda can stoves years ago and was wholly unimpressed. I've used a Supercat stove made out of a cat food can ever since.

Along the way I've tried other stoves but always come back to the simplicity of the cat food can and a wind screen.

I may have to try this Dandy Stove. Looks neat.

I tried the soda can stoves years ago and was wholly unimpressed. I've used a Supercat stove made out of a cat food can ever since.

Along the way I've tried other stoves but always come back to the simplicity of the cat food can and a wind screen.

Its pretty neat. Def a good "store anywhere" back up to gas style stoves. I usually use my pocket rocket type stove, but if needed the dandy is there. Last time i used it, i burned small sticks in he bottom to boil water for coffee and mountain house meals. :p
Sometimes i just like to live the simple life when camping. Well, when i have the patience and no itinerary. It goes quick if the fire stays going good. ;)
Have fun with the build! [emoji106]?

If you guys like soda-can stoves... this guy has made it an artform.

https://www.minibulldesign.com/productcart/pc/home.asp

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2XzFfi4EVY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2XzFfi4EVY[/ame]

And then he started machining his own aluminum body remote-feed stoves:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq8gz0ZZKyY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq8gz0ZZKyY[/ame]

Re: Soda/Beer Can Stoves

If you guys like soda-can stoves... this guy has made it an artform.
*snip*

I haven't built one but it seems to me that those Bud/BudLight "Aluminum bottles" would be a far better starting point then the flimsy soda/beer cans these days.

(For you young'uns, you used to be able to stand on an empty beer can and it didn't smush flat. Well, I did, back before I discovered Blue Bell :eat:)

I haven't built one but it seems to me that those Bud/BudLight "Aluminum bottles" would be a far better starting point then the flimsy soda/beer cans these days.

(For you young'uns, you used to be able to stand on an empty beer can and it didn't smush flat. Well, I did, back before I discovered Blue Bell :eat:)

I made one out of a venom energy drink bottle just like them. Seems to work better than the others. Forgot about that one. Again, another idea that was nabbed off the net.
And i remember being able to stand on the cans! :p
You would stand on it, and your buddy would touch it with a stick (or finger if fast enough) and it would give out and crush. Always thought that was pretty cool. Lol

The Stove in the first Vid is made using one of those aluminum bottles rolled onto itself for the outer wall.
I've stood on mine - it didn't budge... and nobody has accused me of being skinny in a long time :giveup:

The Stove in the first Vid is made using one of those aluminum bottles rolled onto itself for the outer wall.

I've stood on mine - it didn't budge... and nobody has accused me of being skinny in a long time :giveup:

So you have built one in the same manner? That seems like a pretty sweet skill.

So you have built one in the same manner? That seems like a pretty sweet skill.

No, I can't say that I have - I actually bought the BIOS rolled stove from Tinny about 4 or 5 years ago if I remember right.

The problem with the big side-burner stoves like that is that the flame pattern is too wide for small pots (4in Dia. or so) They work great with the wide boy-scout style pots, but not many backpacking one.
You can make mini ones to tuck the flame pattern in tighter, but then you're balancing a pot of boiling water on a thimble...

I have built several including basic penny stoves, a cat can stove or two, and the one in the video below (albeit a lot uglier) but it works. - it is a great stove and maybe my favorite alcohol stove. it has a tight flame pattern that works really well with skinnier pots - and cost me 3 redbulls to make.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbHHQrh9m58"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbHHQrh9m58[/ame]

No, I can't say that I have - I actually bought the BIOS rolled stove from Tinny about 4 or 5 years ago if I remember right.

The problem with the big side-burner stoves like that is that the flame pattern is too wide for small pots (4in Dia. or so) They work great with the wide boy-scout style pots, but not many backpacking one.
You can make mini ones to tuck the flame pattern in tighter, but then you're balancing a pot of boiling water on a thimble...

I have built several including basic penny stoves, a cat can stove or two, and the one in the video below (albeit a lot uglier) but it works. - it is a great stove and maybe my favorite alcohol stove. it has a tight flame pattern that works really well with skinnier pots - and cost me 3 redbulls to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbHHQrh9m58

Ahh crud... Looks like I am going to have to buy some red bull today..
Lol! That one looks cool!
Thanks for the vids.

Ran across this pillow the other day at Academy. $4.99 Self-inflates and packs small. Could be a nice addition.

10094241.jpg

Well, I bought one today. It does self-inflate nicely. I liked it best about 3/4 full.

A few minutes ago my lovely wife finished a very nice pillow case (with deer and elk on it). It folds nicely to fit in top of the pack bag that came with pillow. All the comforts of home! How can you go wrong for $5.00?

Small pillows at Cabelas were $35-44.00? Really?

I think I am fixed up.

Well, I bought one today. It does self-inflate nicely. I liked it best about 3/4 full.

A few minutes ago my lovely wife finished a very nice pillow case (with deer and elk on it). It folds nicely to fit in top of the pack bag that came with pillow. All the comforts of home! How can you go wrong for $5.00?

Small pillows at Cabelas were $35-44.00? Really?

I think I am fixed up.

Thanks for posting! I have one that is just a reg filled pillow but the seems rip easily.. I am checking these out soon.

Thanks for posting! I have one that is just a reg filled pillow but the seems rip easily.. I am checking these out soon.

It's made with some heavier material and seems rugged enough. Not some light duty plastic inflatable like I would expect for $5.

Yep, pillows are a bit of a problem when I camp. Can't seem to sleep well without two, usually using clothes for one and a regular pillow for the other. Will have to visit Academy and check out this piller.

Yep, pillows are a bit of a problem when I camp. Can't seem to sleep well without two, usually using clothes for one and a regular pillow for the other. Will have to visit Academy and check out this piller.

Me too. I usually have my riding pants folded up at the end of my air mattress, with my Thermarest pillow on top. This inflatable number will quite possibly be more comfortable than my Joe Rockets.

Me too. I usually have my riding pants folded up at the end of my air mattress, with my Thermarest pillow on top. This inflatable number will quite possibly be more comfortable than my Joe Rockets.

Uiy... Not to mention smell better. [emoji23]

....Unless I'm the only one. [emoji47]

Back