• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2012 Uncle's Around the Bend - Blood, Sweat, and Beer

It's easiest to flip one of Anton's coins when deciding whether or not to pass by a locked gate

No editing to original post needed.

I was not accusing anything just stating what the picture showed, somebody breaking and entering into a property. Richard explained the locked gate part which I specifically questioned because of not knowing the protocol for. Now I understand that and that an opening near a locked gate gives implied access permission. But unraveling and taking down a barbed wire fence to gain access? No matter what the gentleman you met this time thought about it, I would not count on it going so smooth everytime.

And for spreading knowledge, this was exactly the reason I posted. I wouldn't want someone seeing this post to think that is a perfectly acceptable action to take in Mexico.

_

Your absence disqualifies you from commenting on the situation. We rode for miles and miles once we passed the gate in question before we happened upon a home (at which time we did enter his private drive which was open to ask for directions). You are not seeing that the locked gate had not been opened in years and years. You are not seeing that daily traffic passes through the section we went through. You are not seeing that this is a well traveled road. You're not seeing that the barbed wire was acting as a gate that is passed through on a daily basis by a traffic load that would never be misconstrued as a private driveway.

I respectfully disagree with your position on this. Seven grown and well respected men made a decision. A few of those men have significant experience riding in Mexico.

Let's get back to these wonderful ride reports. Looking forward to next years ride already.

Last edited:
King Kong AKA Donkey Kong AKA King Dong or maybe just Kong King? The park folks in Saucedo are calling this hill King Kong...and directing gullible noobs such as I to it as thusly. (east of Javeline Pens)

kongking.png

The road they point to is just an out and back deal... the one Greeneggs&ham mentioned where we found the camper dude and a closed trail. As Mr. Shakespere said "a hill by any other name is yet a kick***** good time." No, really...he said that. Sure, the politically correctness censors got hold of it and twisted it into it's more recognized verbiage. :rider:

Your absence disqualifies you from commenting on the situation. We rode for miles and miles once we passed the gate in question before we happened upon a home (at which time we did enter his private drive which was open to ask for directions). You are not seeing that the locked gate had not been opened in years and years. You are not seeing that daily traffic passes through the section we went through. You are not seeing that this is a well traveled road. You're not seeing that the barbed wire was acting as a gate that is passed through on a daily basis by a traffic load that would never be misconstrued as a private driveway.

I respectfully disagree with your position on this. Seven grown and well respected men made a decision. A few of those men have significant experience riding in Mexico.

Let's get back to these wonderful ride reports. Looking forward to next years ride already.

Understood and agreed for this occurance. It was just the photo and caption did not convey this to me. My reason for posting was to advise others that this is not always a wise or safe choice. You were in a responsible group and an educated and conscientious decision was made to pass. Others when riding will need to do the same and not assume that any fence can be ignored because "This is Mexico".

I also agree, back to the great ride reports.

_

The park folks in Saucedo are calling this hill King Kong...and directing gullible noobs such as I to it as thusly. (east of Javeline Pens)

kongking.png

That particular hill is Donkey Kong. The next time I'm out there I'll bring them up to speed - can't have them sending riders up Donkey Kong when the riders are looking for King Kong.

Things are alot different in Mexico, the land of Personal Responsibility.

Do you see any barriers or warning signs for this dangerous zag in the road?
firestarter2-XL.jpg

Safe.jpg

photos by Edwin
Just sayin'

Does anyone know why all these bee hives are on River Road(170), behind Milton and JT?

Bees.jpg

Photo by IZZ
Posted by IZZ
Viewed by IZZ
on behalf of IZZ

I just want to know why Milton is always rolling something and JT is always doing all the work.... :mrgreen:

Does anyone know why all these bee hives are on River Road(170), behind Milton and JT?

Bees.jpg

Photo by IZZ
Posted by IZZ
Viewed by IZZ
on behalf of IZZ
Bee Condo's, some Bee's head south for the winter.

Saturday I think everyone woke up a little sore. I for one felt I’d been beat up the last couple of days. Nothing seemed too strenuous at the time,
but come morning I was reaching for the Vitamin I. (Ibuprophen, that is).
I was glad to take a more laid back day and had an awesome time hanging with Jon Smiley and his buds out around Lajitas.

Adobe, Lajitas
120303094-XL.jpg
. . . .
120303098-L.jpg

Beautiful, crisp morning
120303100-L.jpg

120303106-XL.jpg
. . .
120303110-L.jpg

I can't remember the name of the place, but there is a great pizza joint just West of town on Hwy 170. doesn't look like much from the outside but they have great pizza!!

Long Draw Pizza....Nancy is the owner.

IMG_7037.jpg
I love Long Draw, Nancy and her staff are good people, too. :eat::chug:

SilverBullet, you are from Humble, how about being humble? I have ridden with these guys in TX, AR, Mexico...salt of the earth people. I am just a hanger on most of the time, but you would trust them with your life if you got to know them.

MEEL tone...beautiful pics as always. Was the sky really that blue, or did you do some 'enhancing'.

When I saw the picture and text I had the same qualms as you. In my experience on Big Bend Chat more than one person has reported receiving a ticket in the mail after simply posting a picture of camping in a place not approved in BBNP.

The laws are different in Mexico.

Personally, I would remove the picture.

Just saying.

Voni

MEEL tone...beautiful pics as always. Was the sky really that blue, or did you do some 'enhancing'.
It was pretty danged blue, Primo. Still early morning looking away from the sun, lots of wind and cold front the night before "swept" the skies. Didn't have to do much with the pixels.

Neutral setting out of the camera was a bit underexposed.
120303099-M.jpg

Increase exposure and contrast, eliminate distraction.
120303100-M.jpg

Now these ones were enhanced.
120303130-XL.jpg

120303131-XL.jpg

Personally, I would remove the picture.

Just saying.

Voni

I appreciate your input, Voni. When I pulled up to the gate, I figured the ride in this direction was over. After much discussion among the seven of us, the decision to proceed was unanimous. I realize that don't make it "right", but that was the feeling.

Perhaps my biggest lesson in Latino America is "Anything unguarded is unwanted." I played this in my head a couple of times. The gate blocked big trucks. If they really wanted us out, it wouldn't 've been so easy to go around. It was a judgement call and you may be right.

Not so far down the "road" we found umbrellas and picnic tables and a couple of canoes.

120303130-M.jpg

I've always wanted to get into High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography.

This subject would be perfect for that. Is this HDR?
Actually not. I considered three processings blended in PhotoShop to yield a "psuedo"HDR, (real HDR would've required 3 captures), but that sounded like too much work. In the end I pumped up the color & contrast of the truck, eliminated the color of the desert, and tweaked the sky a bit so as not to clash with the truck. I did have this in mind when I first saw the truck. I was looking for the "grunge" effect, but again, didn't remember off the top of my head how to get it. This result was what I could get quickly.

Pretty kool to find "junk" like that out in the middle of nowhere.
This property probably has some restrictions. Our leader for the morning was a land owner and there were other areas he said we couldn't go, so I guess it's ok to post the photo.

The colors on that truck reminds me of the patina and colors in the late afternoon light in San Miguel de Allende :clap: :clap:

Really guys? How is breaking into someone's property justified? Don't mean to rain on the parade of good ride reports in this thread but this is the kind of thing that gets off road riding areas restricted even further. A locked gate means private property and should be respected correct? Or is there different protocol for locked gates in Mexico (not being sarcastic, I really don't know)?

_
Let me see if I can explain. Even though there was a locked gate, there was a " let yourself in if you don't have the keys to the padlock" to the right of the gate. The wires are easily detachable and it seems like it is the norm rather than the exception. We ended up meeting the property owner at the end of the road. Here is the difference between riding in Mexico and riding in Texas. Señor David let us ride right through his front porch, behind his house, into a cow path so we can finish our loop into the Peguis Cannyon. Then, the next day, we run into Señor Mendoza at his ranch on our way to El Volcan. He is happy to see different faces besides his cows and goats. He even let us ride through the cow pen so we can connect to the road.
Yes, riding in Mexico is different than here in the States. Not a single rancher that we run into complained about us been there. The road just happens to go through their land.

I think I was more worried about coming up on some cartel hacienda than anything else. :eek2: :giveup:

:tab The bee hives are trucked out each year and placed along the road. I recall there being multiple places along the Casa Piedra road where clearings had been created along the side of the road and numerous bee hives had been setup. Nothing like blasting along and slamming into a cloud of bees... :eek2: They set them out in the Spring, I guess in time for all the desert blossoms. My understanding is that they come back and collect them later to harvest the honey. Somewhere along the Casa Piedra, there is a high hill with a solitary windmill on it. Next to it is a full water tank. The buzzing was QUITE loud around that tank the last time I was out there... :wary:

Back