• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Proud Owner of a Brand New 2001 SV650s!!!

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Last Name
Baker
I am now the proud owner of a new 2001 SV650s :lol: . It is red (the faster color) and so very cool. I can't wait to get it through the break in period 8-) No mods planned yet, which is a good thing as I am broke after writing that check :-| but hope to see you all and show her (is calling a bike a her offensive to the ladies out there? :shock: Hope not.) off at a bike night soon

I wanted to thank everyone on their input over the last month or so.
:chug:

Anyone looking to buy a 250 Ninja?

Congrats!! Cannot wait to see it!

Adios,

YAY!!!! :-D
You will not be disppointed by your new SV! I know how hard it is to 'suffer' through the first 500 miles, but it is well worth it.

Calling a bike "her" was actually something a few of us posted on back some time ago. When I got my bike, I so desperately wanted to give it a male name and refer to it as HIM because I'm a woman and to be quite honest, I'd rather have a man between my legs than a woman. ;-)

Well, it seems my efforts failed because I named her "Ally" (because she's copper and that's a metal alloy.... I'm a geek, I know). It was just more natural to refer to the bike as HER all the time. IT seemed too impersonal (the bike is like my child) and HIM never sounded right.

So no, it's not offensive at all (at least not to me) and I'm curious what name you ended up giving her (if you named her at all).

Oh, and I agree that buying the bike is expensive enough, modifications are just too much to shell out for sometimes. The only thing I've done so far - and would recommend highly for you as well - is frame sliders. Shop around, check ebay, see if anyone selling a bike like yours wants to sell those off separately, etc. They can save you lots of heartache (and $$$) later if the bike hits the pavement. I've got recurring bruises all over my calves from ALMOST tipping over.

Nice choice!

I :heart: SV's.

I wish I had the extra cash. I wouldn't mind having that ninja 250 for a commuter vehicle. Although the SV already gets stellar gas mileage, the Ninjas are just a blast in the twisties and get even better mileage.

I'm sure you'll be able to sell that Ninja quickly.

Wahooo, another one joins the cult, now if we can get him to drink the kool-aid :twisted: :puke:

Congrats Shannon, I dont think you will be at all disappointed with your choice.

BTW: you end up getting it in Geogretown and mind if I ask what you shelled out.

When I bought my SV, they told me keep it under 7K rpm. Seemed a little high and I kept it under 5K for a little over 200 miles, then took it to 7 some. 7K rpm is 90 mph in top gear... :lol: Some break in... :lol:

Anyway, it don't hurt after you get a few hundred on it to take it up to red line once or twice, just don't leave it there. It is very hard to resist seeing how it'll run, I know. ;-) Just don't go running it hard for long periods during the break in.

Another thing that blew me away. I was told a break in valve clearance inspection was not necessary. Now, every other bike I've ever owned, the valves would seat in a little on break in and it was important to keep from having them run too tight, check 'em at 600 miles or so. I was told the SV didn't need to be checked until 16K miles. I checked it anyway, but it was good at 600, no shims necessary. I'm sorta paranoid and don't like the idea of burned valves, but I guess they were right.

Sweet

The SV is a phenomenal motorcycle. Be sure to creep on over to svrider.com. The listserv forum is VERY informative and the message board is also a useful tool. (And yes, Tourmeister used to attend over there when his wive had her SV!)

Anyway, nice choice. Enjoy it. :chug:

Hehe... I still haunt over there ;-) I also frequent the Texas SV site.

Adios,

Thanks for the link.

I have accounts on svrider and the Texas site as well. I saw the links posted here and checked them out. In fact over the last few weeks while trying to make this decision I started at the back and worked my way through all 500 or so pages of posts on the svrider site :eek:
(My wife was out of town and there was no racing on TV so I was really bored)

There is a euro site as well: sv650.org and an owners forum that I have found as too. What we need now is a Houston SV riders site! :-P

I have Scott's article on installing heated grips bookmarked as I plan on adding these before the winter sets in. That was the one thing that kept me off my bike was I couldn't keep my hands warm no matter how thick the glovers were.

Squeaky said:
YAY!!!! :-D
You will not be disppointed by your new SV! I know how hard it is to 'suffer' through the first 500 miles, but it is well worth it.

I named her "Ally"

So no, it's not offensive at all (at least not to me) and I'm curious what name you ended up giving her (if you named her at all).

Thanks!

By the end of the day I should be halfway to the magic 500 mile mark as I passed 200 on the way in to work this morning. I can't justify paying for parking downtown for many more days so the miles will begin to slow down, especially since we are going out of town for Mother's day and I'll be caging it. I am hoping to finish break in before Memorial day weekend as we will be heading up to New Braunfels and I would love to ride it around the hill country between floats on the river or whenever the house starts feeling crowded 8-) .

I have not named her yet, although I m leaning towads Ellie and calling her Elle (L). Ellie and Ally, hmmm....

Hmmm... I still don't see any pictures :-|

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
Hmmm... I still don't see any pictures :-|

Adios,

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

They are still on the camera Memory Stick and I don't have a place to host them....For a technical guy I am not too "with it" sometmes. Will get them up soon.

Shannon,
If you like, you could e-mail them to me and I could host them on one of my webspace accounts. I have 7 at 10MB per and I'm doung nothing with them.
Just drop me a line and I'll send you an e-mail address that will accept attachments. I'll resize them, if necessary for the forums here, and send you the links so you can post them.

Congratulations

When I bought my SV in '99 they had only one model in the US. It is a excellent bike with plenty of power and great handling. Since getting the Beemer it has become a backup bike. Can't stand the thought of getting rid of it.

C'mon now Ted... How many bikes do you own?? I seem to recall it being more than what is shown in your signature ;-) I think you can't stand getting rid of any bikes!

Adios,

I like the SV650 and SV1000S. A friend of mine has a TL1000, one of the early ones with the funky rear shock. It's been a great bike for him.

The SV650 gets good reviews in the motorcycle magazines I've read.

Cool deal. How'd you finangle getting a NEW 2001 model in 2004! I hope my kawasaki dealer has a blue 04 ninja just sittin there waiting for me to get it a year after they came out!

Back