• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hill country jail time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said....

Just FYI, I have been in a situation where I could not see or hear a LEO behind me. It was very cold and I was trying to get home as fast as I could. I was hugging the tank with my feet up on the passenger pegs and I was hauling ***. Maybe 85-90 MPH. I couldn't see my mirrors because I was hunkered down so much. What I did notice (it was nighttime) was the red and blues flashing on a speed limit sign. I sat up and noticed a police car about a half mile behind me with lights going. I pulled over and removed my gloves and helmet and turned the bike off before he got there. The LEO was very cool about the whole thing and let me go. He told me that he had clocked me speeding and pulled out on to the road with his lights on and blipped the siren a few times but it was obvious that I couldn't hear him. He followed me for about 3 or 4 miles and was radioing his pal down the road to wait for me. I explained that I had just gotten off of work and was trying to get home before it got REALLY cold out. We then discussed bikes and he told me that he always regretted selling his bike :lol: . As we parted company he told me where some other LEO's would be waiting on my way home ;-) .

He was thankful that I stopped for him as soon as I noticed and was very cool about the whole matter.

It just goes to show that there may be too many variables for us to decide what really happened.

Well IMO speeding on a road that is pretty famous for speeding bikes isn't the brightest move in the first place. :chug:

10-95,

I could see that point of view especially in a college town. Around here (small town around 10000 and even Victoria) would be a little different...not another FZ1 in town for instance. My brother is a LEO (Chief actually) and I am very much against the hooligans messing up the sport for everyone. I don't think you or my brother needs to risk their life for some 23 year old on a HD Sportser for a traffic violation...the dudes time will come even if he get's away that time. In a college town with probably 40000 variable population, things would be different but even there it wouldn't be worth you getting hurt to nab a speeder...not the next day looking back on it.

The comment about the lapping at TWS was directed as much for Scott's question car vs. bike question as anything. Motorcyclist did a comparison in late 2002. On a track sport bike against sport car (both stock) the car is left for dead. Moto GP to F1 is just the opposite so there are lots of variations and comparisons. Hauling *** through the streets of any town at any time of day would be much better in the confines of a cage.

You guy's wouldn't believe how much rain we've had here...and it's pouring again...keeps me surfing the net anyway. I'm still debating and researching Dual Sports.

Squeaky said:
...am I still the only one who thinks that spending more time than necessary behind bars was out of line simply because there wasn't someone available to hear the case?

I have no comment on him getting thrown in, but what about swift justice? I would hate to be stuck just because it was a holiday weekend and people were on vacation.

Squeaky,

The judge can take up to 3 days to see the guy and set bond. The time he sat in jail is not unheard of. Most jails have bonds preset by the judge, but some do not. It's up to the judge. Lots of times this can happen just because it's a weekend.

Tourmeister said:
but what about swift justice?

:rofl

Sorry, my cynicism slipped out there a bit...

Adios,

The last traffic ticket I fought (the only one I might add) took me two YEARS to get to see the judge. :rofl

10-95 said:
Squeaky said:
...am I still the only one who thinks that spending more time than necessary behind bars was out of line simply because there wasn't someone available to hear the case?

I have no comment on him getting thrown in, but what about swift justice? I would hate to be stuck just because it was a holiday weekend and people were on vacation.

Squeaky,

The judge can take up to 3 days to see the guy and set bond. The time he sat in jail is not unheard of. Most jails have bonds preset by the judge, but some do not. It's up to the judge. Lots of times this can happen just because it's a weekend.

Yup, standard practice. I grew up in a town like this. It's pretty much up to the LEO what happens there, county sherriffs and DPS can just lock you up for like 72 hrs max I believe it is.

Usually they will take you straight to the JP/judge, I've even known em to wake the JP up in the middle of the night at his house and take you there on the way to the jailhouse on a weekend.

In my experience if your simply respectful and not doing something really stupid cops go out of their way some to get you through and out quickly. If your not they may think you need a "lesson" and spend some jail time. I've been treated both ways in my younger days, and it was rather easy to figure out why.

10-95 said:
The deal about him not going too fast because the car kept up had me laughing. Not to boast but I have never lost a chase to a motorcycle. Never. Not even when we used to drive those big-*** boat looking Crown Vics.

What a coincidence. I've never lost a chase to a cop. Never. Including those fast looking camero's. :chug:

Advice

Show me a LEO who's never:

1. Exceeded the posted speed limit in (or on) his personal vehicle.

2. Crossed a solid center line on a motorcycle to pass a slower vehicle.

3. Used a cell phone, tuned the radio or engaged in other distracting behavior while driving.

I'll meekly stand on the side of the road and take advice on how my riding style could be improved from that guy. Otherwise, it's the same old "do as I say, not as I do" crap. And please don't tell me that since LEO's receive better driver training, they should be allowed to violate traffic laws. If that's the case, I'll volunteer to undergo the same training, put a sticker on my car indicating that I've done so and leave me alone.

And don't tell me that there's an extra police presence on FM 337 because there have been a higher number of motorcycle accidents this year. If that's the case, why are some of the cars unmarked? Seems to me that they should be in clearly marked cars in plain site. That way they act as a deterrent to speeding and "reckless driving". An ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure. When the city of Dallas introduced unmarked police cars, they claimed they were being used to stop road rage. However, these unmarked units were responsible for writing over nine thousand speeding tickets in the next six months. How many citations for road rage related offenses? Just over six hundred.

A DOT study has shown that it's safest when speed limits are set at the speed that eighty-five percent of the traffic on the road is travelling at. However, speed limits on most major roads are set between the 30th and 55th percentile. If that's not to create a revenue generating opportunity, perhaps our resident LEO's can explain why this situation exists.

And before the flaming begins, I support our law enforcement. The ones I know and ride with are some of the finest public servants I've met. But they're also some of the craziest riders I've ever ridden with.

Re: Advice

FWVic said:

3. Used a cell phone, tuned the radio or engaged in other distracting behavior while driving.

I'll meekly stand on the side of the road and take advice on how my riding style could be improved from that guy. Otherwise, it's the same old "do as I say, not as I do" crap. And please don't tell me that since LEO's receive better driver training, they should be allowed to violate traffic laws. If that's the case, I'll volunteer to undergo the same training, put a sticker on my car indicating that I've done so and leave me alone.

And don't tell me that there's an extra police presence on FM 337 because there have been a higher number of motorcycle accidents this year. If that's the case, why are some of the cars unmarked? Seems to me that they should be in clearly marked cars in plain site. That way they act as a deterrent to speeding and "reckless driving". An ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure. When the city of Dallas introduced unmarked police cars, they claimed they were being used to stop road rage. However, these unmarked units were responsible for writing over nine thousand speeding tickets in the next six months. How many citations for road rage related offenses? Just over six hundred.

A DOT study has shown that it's safest when speed limits are set at the speed that eighty-five percent of the traffic on the road is travelling at. However, speed limits on most major roads are set between the 30th and 55th percentile. If that's not to create a revenue generating opportunity, perhaps our resident LEO's can explain why this situation exists.

And before the flaming begins, I support our law enforcement. The ones I know and ride with are some of the finest public servants I've met. But they're also some of the craziest riders I've ever ridden with.

Well said. I have been giving a great deal of thought to my reply since I posted at the beginning about this being a revenue hunt. I could not have said it better. Even the last paragraph is exactly my position. :clap

FWVic said:

Firts let me apologize for for using all this text again, but I wanted to address this.

What you are talking about is a dressing down on the side of the road. Maybe your riding style deserves this, maybe it doesn't....I don't know. My JOB is to apprehend folks that don't follow the law. Period. If I write a ticket or haul your booty to jail the ticket/arrest is enough. If all you get is a talking to why not count yourself lucky? Are you so sure of yourself? Does it hurt your ego that much?

1 & 2 may be illegal #3 is not. Then again 1 & 2 depending on the circumstances may NOT be illegal. On duty LEOs are exempt from certain traffic laws! How do you think we make it to hot calls?

I sense some anger issues here................. :mrgreen:

You DO NOT want to undergo the training we do. You can't pick and choose and only take the fun stuff. So don't even go there.

How many unmarked cars do you think are out there? :roll: I can guarantee you the reason they are working that roadway is complaints from residents on that road and govt officials in that county asking for it. My assignments are done the same way. Quite frankly there are more complaints than manpower. Imagine living in that area and having to deal with this crap EVERY DAY. It's the same as you living in your subdivision and having a-holes scream down your quiet 30mph street at 60mph all day.

Oh BTW, speeding can be included in that magical "road rage" list. And who decided what violations were on the list? I bet it was a friggin politician. Road rage, another catch phrase that has died out :roll:

Depends on what type of roadway you're talking about. I won't even begin to try to explain it because I don't understand it myself. You also have to remember it's not that simple. It's not just OK 85% of people drive down here at 50, so........You also have to factor in a lot of other elements -- people, pedestrians, other traffic, other hazards, etc.

The revenue explanation doesn't make sense. Tickets can't pay enough to support a vehicle, maintenance on that vehicle, salaries for people and their benefits. Believe me I have a hand in budget matters at my dept.

Why the disclaimer??????????

10-95 said:
Are you so sure of yourself? Does it hurt your ego that much?

Actually, yes, I am that sure of myself. Otherwise, I wouldn't drive like I do. And, no, it doesn't hurt my ego. I just object to having my day interrupted by a possible hypocrite.

1 & 2 may be illegal #3 is not. Then again 1 & 2 depending on the circumstances may NOT be illegal. On duty LEOs are exempt from certain traffic laws!

If you'll read my post, you'll notice that I specified that personal vehicles were being used. Last time I checked, y'all weren't exempt from traffic laws when you're off duty, correct? And please don't use the "It's my job to speed" line. That's like hearing, "You need to quit smoking." from an oncologist that smokes. Kinda destroys his professional credibility.

You DO NOT want to undergo the training we do. You can't pick and choose and only take the fun stuff. So don't even go there.

You're right, I don't want to undergo all of the training that you do. Just the training necessary to bring my driving skills up to par with the average law officer's. I don't think it would be fun to do. I do think that it would take away a common excuse for why average citizens should not be allowed to drive faster. And please, get this straight. I know that you have a dangerous and difficult job to do. However, that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. We were discussing the hypocrisy of enforcing traffic laws in the name of safety when they were designed to generate revenue. I wasn't going there, you took us there.

How many unmarked cars do you think are out there?

Doesn't matter. Even one unmarked car proves my point. That car shifts the issue from deterrence to punishment. It doesn't stop the crime from happening, it just punishes it. Monetarily.

Why the disclaimer??????????

No disclaimer. It's just that every time someone criticizes speeding laws, someone else jumps in and claims that they're anti-law enforcement. I figured I'd preempt them and state that I support our LEO's, even if I feel that some of your actions are misguided. I know how dangerous your job can be. I'm one of the nurses that works in the trauma ward putting y'all back together. And on that note, if you honestly believe that speeding substantially creates a dangerous driving environment, then why are we just taking people's money away? Oh, I know that people can be arrested for speeding, but how many actually are? Most are just fined. So rather than that, why not let them do community service in the local emergency room? Wouldn't that make a more substantial impression?

And on that note, I'm out. But I would like to read your impressions of the article linked above. Looks like this guy's got his facts in line. Do you have any hard numbers to dispute him?

Kelly

Hmmmmm

Re: the article, I found it interesting, especially these two snippets:

This is why police and (unmanned) "drone" radar senders are often used at accident, construction, and reduced visibility (dust, fog, snow) sites -- because traffic speeds and accidents decrease when detector users slow and pay closer attention, influencing others to do the same.

followed a bit later by:

Myth #7 - Lower Speed Limits Reduce Average Speeds and Accidents.

:scratch :-P

Anyway, this was discussed at length here, and all I know is that, today, anyway, I took the bike out for an hour, went pretty much the speed limit, or less, and loved life. :chug:

Sorry I didn't pay that much attention to your post to catch the "personal vehicles" part. If it makes you feel any better my wife says I drive like a farmer(in my POV), always under the limit and looking around. Drives her crazy. And no, LE is not exempt from traffic laws while off-duty. That was not what I was referring to.

You're right, I don't want to undergo all of the training that you do. Just the training necessary to bring my driving skills up to par with the average law officer's.

That comment tells me you might want to *adjust* your driving habits. ;-)

We were discussing the hypocrisy of enforcing traffic laws in the name of safety when they were designed to generate revenue. I wasn't going there, you took us there.

I don't know how many ways I can say this. Tickets do not generate enough revenue to be a money maker Maybe if everyone paid every fine it would be. If everyone just forked over max fine on every charge ever issued it would be. But neither statement is near the truth.

Oh, and if you read some previous posts "I" didn't take this discussion anywhere near there. A previous poster made the comments that took it there.

Walk/drive/run down to your local municipal court. Ask for a breakdown of fines and where the money, if any is collected, goes. THIS IS PUBLIC INFORMATION. Then sit down and crunch some numbers. Don't believe the hype!

Doesn't matter. Even one unmarked car proves my point. That car shifts the issue from deterrence to punishment. It doesn't stop the crime from happening, it just punishes it. Monetarily.

I just don't understand your point of view. 'Nuff said.

As for the article, it was humorous but the guy twists stuff he read and studies he saw to try to prove a point of view. The fact is anyone can use statistics and studies and change it around to suit their needs. Honestly I didn't think much of the article at all.

Let me see if I understand the thinking of certain posters to this thread.
Let's say I'm running down some country twolane through several small communities, running in the neighborhood of 80mph and passing cars on the double yellow. If I get pulled over and ticketed or taken to the grey bar hotel, it isn't because I was being a totally stupid prick? Rather, it's mearly a revenue enhancement?

Well, my passion may be riding but I'm a truck-driver(temporarily retired) by trade. Let me ask you. Does that same theory go for me in my big truck?

The same theory could be carried over to other traffic regs. I hear the same argument from certain types of truck-drivers(Rambos) about hours of service regulations. "HOS regs aren't a deterent to driving tired. They're just a revenue enhancement tool".

Let's hear you squids make that arguement the next time a Rambo falls asleep at the wheel and takes out a motorcyclist, God forbid. I'll guarantee you won't do it. You'll be out for blood. So will I.

In a former life, when I was working corrections, I heard the same crap spilling from the lips of inmates. "I'm not here because I broke the law. I'm here because 'the Man' wants to keep me down".

I'm not writing all this to say that I'm perfect and have never violated traffic laws on my bike(on in my truck for that matter). However, when I'm doing wrong and get caught, which happens to me more often than not, I stand up like a man, accept that I was wrong, sign the ticket/warning or take my lecture, depending on the officers mood, and go on with my life. I don't try to throw the blame somewhere else.

It's real simple. If you want to ride at the bikes limits, you have two choices:
1)Head to the track.
2)Be prepared to deal with Johnny Law.

But quit whining about revenue and the unmarked car. That crap's for little boys who don't want to take responsibility for their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back