• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

VFR On Order

Reaction score
:dude: Man am I now all wound up with anticipation

Today I ordered my new ride. A '03, Silver VFR with ABS. Two weeks to wait and I am not sure I can make it. I am really looking forward to getting it out into the hill country. Maybe a quick ride out to Cooper's.

Man I am counting the days, er, minutes really. Hope to get out there with a few of you when it gets in

YEEE HAAAAAAA

:twisted:

:tab Dang!! I saw the one at Woods back in April. I still am a little cool on the new body style, but seeing it in that silver really got my juices flowing! Congrats on the bike! Can't wait to see it. Two weeks... man... that's rough!

Congrats, Andy. That looks like a nice bike. Lemme know when you wanna ride. I'll be happy to help you break it in. :)

Ahhh, I see you have been assimilated. ;)

Awesome bike, enjoy, look forward to following you on some roads again some day...

Ah Paul,

I know, I am such a lemming, just following the crowd (or cult). First I get an SV and join the huge cult of obsessed maniacs (and yes that includes me) that love the little V-Twin. And now, I have moved up to the next one, the cult of the VFR. Now I am one of those on STN that is going to put up with the Viffer bashing that happens there.

Oh well, guess I will just have to suffer through all the ridicule and abuse :lol: :lol:

Nah, now you'll be one of the many wise motorcycle owners turning ST.N into another vfrdiscussion.com :)

So what was your final set of rationale for the nice, nice bike? You know why I'm asking.... ;)

:tab Actually, what is to become of the little SVS? Got a wife that might be riding it? Gonna sell it? Gonna keep it for you?

So what was your final set of rationale for the nice, nice bike? You know why I'm asking....

Actually it was a few things. Mostly, it just fit me a little better than the 'Pril did. I am not up on my tip toes when I am sitting stopped. Also got a great deal, $399 less than list & no set-up and doc fees. I also really wanted the ABS. I also have to admit that your discription of you dealings with M_______k made me a little concerned, especially some of the things you had to deal with concerning the airbox. Lastly, I just really liked the look better especially the color.

Dont get me wrong though, it was a tough choice. The Futura is a really nice bike and I really appreciate your letting me have a trial ride to check it out. But at almost $1500 more and $300 a year more insurance, it was a little easier to choose the VFR.

Actually, what is to become of the little SVS? Got a wife that might be riding it? Gonna sell it? Gonna keep it for you?

I am really hoping that my wife wants to keep it, at least for a little while. SHe is taking the MSF this summer and I hope she really wants to spend some time riding. Only problem is she really likes cruisers more :? but I think once she rides the SV she will like it. Maybe some bar risers and lowering it 1/2-3/4 inches will help. If not I hope to keep it for a little twistie day rider or track bike, but we'll see. She's already making me sell the boat so I can get the Viffer so I wont be pushing anything else for a while. Those Staintunes are going to have to wait a little while.

New bike for the wife

SVinAustin said:
I am really hoping that my wife wants to keep it, at least for a little while. SHe is taking the MSF this summer and I hope she really wants to spend some time riding. Only problem is she really likes cruisers more but I think once she rides the SV she will like it.

:tab Hmm... I am a little old fashioned here. I really don't think the SV is a good starter bike unless your wife is fairly tall (32-33" inseam min). When learning to ride, there is so much coming at you at once, it can be very intimidating. Having a bike you are not really comfortable on just compounds the issue. Beth is 5'5" and she started on a cruiser with a 25" seat height. The bike was very light. This let her focus on the new experience of being on a motorcycle and all that entails without having to worry about reaching the ground, dropping the bike in a parking lot, etc,... Also, the cruiser was not covered with expensive tupperware that could get damaged in a parking lot tipover, which did happen a few times.

:tab Simply put, the little Virago was not intimidating. Once she worked up to the SVS, she loved it. But she told me that it would not have been so good if she had actually started on the SVS. I'm not saying it is impossible, but if your wife doesn't really go for it, try not to push her. The single most important thing about getting her into riding her own bike is to make her feel totally comfortable every step of the way. If she has a bad experience right off the bat, she may shy away and never try again.

:tab Now I totally realize there are tons of people out there that will say I am full of crap and the the SVS would make an excellent starter bike. All I can say is, sure, for some people it would, for others maybe not.

:tab Riding a bike for the first time involves processing a lot of sensory inputs that have never been encountered before. I'm not just talking about the speed. There is the whole feel of the bike, the position of the body, how the world looks when you are leaned over, etc,... It seems that for most people, the upright seating position of a cruiser is easier to get used to than the leaned over sportbike posture. Then there is the whole intimidation factor of being on a "sportbike"... oohhh.... aahhh... We know it is B.S., but beginners may not.

:tab If you can find a nice cheap Virago 535, Suzuki Savage 650, Kawasaki Vulcan 500, etc,... that she likes and finds comfortable, it might be worth it to buy one, let her rack up some miles on it, then sell it for darn near what you paid for it and then move her up to a bigger bike. Beth now rides the VFR800 and loves it. Had she started on it, it would have freaked her out, she would have dropped it for sure, it would have cost us a lot of money to fix, and she probably would have gotten down on the whole riding thing. Thank God none of that happened.

buck000 said:
So what was your final set of rationale for the nice, nice bike? You know why I'm asking....

:tab You are secretly envious... :shrug: :P

Re: New bike for the wife

Tourmeister said:
buck000 said:

:tab You are secretly envious... :shrug: :P

Well. There it is, out in the open, then.... :oops:

Andy, thanks for the explanation, makes perfect sense.

Now I totally realize there are tons of people out there that will say I am full of crap and the the SVS would make an excellent starter bike. All I can say is, sure, for some people it would, for others maybe not.

Yeah and I am one of them :wink: not.

Na Scott, I agree with you completely. I have no intention on trying to convince her to like the SV. We have talked about it a little and she knows that if she feels even a little uncomfortable on the SV we can get her something she does feel better on. I just hope if she wants to go that way we can keep the SV a little longer to see if she eventually wants to try it.

:angryfir: :angryfir: :angryfir:

Arrrrgh,

Do to a stupid paperwork screw up on my part I will now not be seeing my new ride for another two weeks. Man I can be such a bone head sometimes. :evil: :evil: :evil:

:dude: :dude:

Its here, Its here.

Got here at 11:30, delivered right to my door. Man it sure is beeeeeeautiful. Took it out for a long luch ride (about two hours) down to Wimberly, Canyon LAke, Blanco and back. Already got 130 miles on it. This keeping it under 5000 RPM is killing me, I can just feel that it really wants to get up and go and I am real anxious to find out what all the hoopla is about the VTEC kick in above 7000 RPM. Only 370 more miles 8) 8) 8)

It is so different from the SV, but more on that to come. Got to bug out of here and get another few miles on it before it gets dark.

Hey, I am not going to be here all weekend so I want to get as much riding in before then.

Woohoo!! Congrats! I'm going to have to go wash my baby this weekend or something to make her look shiney and new. I've had the bug in my pants to get a new bike lately but just can't afford it right now. <sigh> It doesn't help that on e buddy bought an '03 Gixxer 1K this past weekend either!

Back