• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Questions...

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any driving test exemptions for a motorcycle license?

Say for person who has ridden for 20 years in another country, or anything like that?

Dyna Sport said:
Does anyone know if there are any driving test exemptions for a motorcycle license?

Say for person who has ridden for 20 years in another country, or anything like that?

Your guess would be as good as mine, when I moved here almost 6 years ago from Ontario, all they wanted was my old drivers license and to take a picture of me. My probationary (M2) license from Ontario (full privaledges, just must maintiain 0.0% alchohol while riding for two years) to a drivers license with the motorcycle endorsement.

The person ahead of me in line was from OK or AR, and had to take a written test and drivers test. Did not get it. All I can think of is Ontario has the same or higher standards as TX, thus I got the pass where the other guy did not. Sorta like CHL, I guess :-)

cheers,
Tom

They probably thought you were from Ontario, Texas. If you would have made it plain it was Ontario, Canada you would have had to take both tests and explain what a tuque was...

uberhawk said:
They probably thought you were from Ontario, Texas. If you would have made it plain it was Ontario, Canada you would have had to take both tests and explain what a tuque was...

:-D

Like I said, I don't get it. They did take my old license, and I believe they even sent it back to Ontario with my new address.

cheers,
Tom

uberhawk said:
:rofl

When I moved to and then from Arizona, both states recognized my MC endorsement, no problems.

My wife, who had a learners permit in Texas (written test only), was given a full endorsment when we moved to Arizona, with no test! When we moved back, she retained that full endorsement in Texas! :brainsnap Never had to take a riding test.

Anyhow, I would think that it would be no more than a written test if from another country, due only to a difference in laws.

Taking the MSF course will exempt you from taking the riding portion of the license procedure with only the written test required.

And if you pass the MSF written test, then passing the DPS test is a joke...

:roll: I don't think that coming from another country with an existing license justifies going through that much hassle; riding skills in Canada or Australia are the same as riding skills here, and American laws can be learned by reading and tested on paper...

gotdurt said:
:roll: I don't think that coming from another country with an existing license justifies going through that much hassle; riding skills in Canada or Australia are the same as riding skills here, and American laws can be learned by reading and tested on paper...

'cept for that driving on the wrong side of the road thing...besides, what do those countries do if we go there? I'm big into reciprocity...

Back