• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

For everything else there is Mastercard

Reaction score
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
Slover
Seems like my little brother is learning the systems and rules
as he travels for his new job. He has taken a new position as
Food, Beverage & Entertainment for the Mandiran Orient Hotel
chain, and is doing his orientation in Singapore and Thialand until
May. Got this email from him this morning.

Renting a bike in Thailand to see the country...........................$250 THB

Getting taking to the police dept for not having a helment on.....$500 THB

Not have a Thai Drivers Permit..............................................$300 THB

Parking on the wrong side of the street..................................$300 THB

I was pulled over three separate times and taken to the police headquarters in three different cities in one day.

When driving in Thailand get to know the rules, for everything else there is Master card because in Thailand it with the police it is cash only!!!!!

budzrex said:
Mandiran Orient Hotel
chain, QUOTE]

A truly most excellent Hotel! I have stayed with this Hotel in Bangkok, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Miami & London on several occasions. (My company would do annual & bi-annual meetings/seminars there)

How in the world did your brother hook up with them as I think the only locations they have in the states are D.C. & New York?

Sounds like a great job to have with, in my opinion, one of the elite hotel chains in the world.

Great story about the driving/riding rules in Thailand...... I am surprised that he was even able to rent the bike with out the Thai drivers permit.

Tell him to hit the Patpong (sp?) Market after he gets out of training for the day, this place is open late into the night and whether he is looking for Folex watches or designer goods and beer budget prices this is a place that will have it. Now that I think about it, there are many places like this in Bangkok and all he would have to do is ask the concierge where to go that might be a little less touristy!

He has been one of the top Managers in the Ritz Carlton Hotel
family for years.

His last project was the Ritz South Beach Hotel that was in
a historic old Hotel building there, It was nice we got to stay
there for a week last year.

They approached him with an offer he could not refuse, He
is quite well known in the Hotel and Entertainment field. And
for some time did a radio show on what's happening in the South
Beach area.

Last time he visited it was truely amazing to listen to him talk
to several of todays top stars and arrange their travel plans for
them.

He will be based out of the new Mandiran Orient in
the Buckhead area of Atlanta later this year.

Dude got fleeced. I was in Thailand for a month no issues. Rule 1 if foriegn, thais have a term for it, pharong, wear a helmet. It is not enforced for the most part until. Then it goes down hill. The official estimate in the Chang Mai province is that less than 25% of drivers are licensed. I only knew 2 people with a Thai license out of 20 or so. However if you do break a law and get "enforced" they keep going to they run out of items. All the same rules as here apply, only after the fact.

You can rent a bike with no license.

1,350.00 THB (Thailand Baht) = $38.13 US at today's conversion rate, so it's not too bad. Still, the experience must have been somewhat surreal. ;-)

fastraveller said:
Was it Thailand where that teenager got "caned" a few years ago?
I think that you are thinking of Singapore...

Back