• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New BMW breaks cover

Chirpy

Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Tschoepe
042407top.jpg

Motorcycle daily has a few more drabs of information.

I hope those engine cases are strong, since they are also the bash plate :shock:

Curious to see how BMW will do competing in something that's not a niche market. Gonna be hard for them with the head of steam that KTM has built.

They'll price it at 50% more than KTM, and let the snob appeal do it's work :trust:

They'll price it at 50% more than KTM, and let the snob appeal do it's work :trust:

I was wondering how much awesomer than the KTM (or anybody else's 450) it would hafta be to justify the MSRP they are gonna ask. I didn't account for snob appeal, though.

<edit> I must be getting old. I sound like Jack.

I was wondering how much awesomer than the KTM (or anybody else's 450) it would hafta be to justify the MSRP they are gonna ask. I didn't account for snob appeal, though.

<edit> I must be getting old. I sound like Jack.

:rofl::rofl:

Reminds me of my '96 ktm 620, especially the steel frame and the ohlins/Marzochi suspension.

If I were snob enough, I'd get the Moto X version, but I'll stick withsomething sub 4k used instead :mrgreen: I like the way it looks, but I'd rather have my old K100RS back instead.

So, who's gonna be the guineapig to buy one, or at least try to test ride one first?

Year 2007
MFG/Model BMW G650X MOTO
Color Graphitan Metallic Matte / Red
Price $10,245 :eek: :eek:
Engine Liquid-cooled 4-stroke single cylinder
Bore X Stroke 100.0 x 83.0mm (3.94 x 3.27 in.)
Displacement 652cc
Horsepower 53 bhp @ 7,000 rpm
Torque 44 lb-ft @ 5,250 rpm

Last edited:
Nope. BMW has ZERO interest in Husky. Straight from a Husky USA employee.

I heard the opposite from a BMW rep that said they were attempting to purchase Husqvarna. In all honesty, that would be a great move. The only way BMW is going to be able to really compete in that market with the likes of KTM is by partnering with a manufacturer with a similar level of experience.

I heard the opposite from a BMW rep that said they were attempting to purchase Husqvarna. In all honesty, that would be a great move. The only way BMW is going to be able to really compete in that market with the likes of KTM is by partnering with a manufacturer with a similar level of experience.
I agree...owning Husky, who's well versed in off road competition, would be a great alignment. Might even lead to a Husky dealer in Houston. I can't say the Husky guy's name, but he is one who would know about interest from BMW. There have been many rumors about a deal over the past couple months. BMW will do just fine on their own.

BMW will do just fine on their own.
do fine as far as targeted shares perhaps, but I don't see them up to the challenge of competition from the established players in the off-road racing world.

The future could be very interesting!! Just think of it... right now the Chinese and other non-Japanese manufacturers are starting to test the waters with their new bikes. It would be very cool to see them start dumping money into racing! Of course, I would not expect them to be winning right out of the gate, but it would be fun to see even more brands duking it out on the tracks around the world :rider:

The future could be very interesting!! Just think of it... right now the Chinese and other non-Japanese manufacturers are starting to test the waters with their new bikes. It would be very cool to see them start dumping money into racing! Of course, I would not expect them to be winning right out of the gate, but it would be fun to see even more brands duking it out on the tracks around the world :rider:
Agreed. It'd be even nicer to see a larger number of viable motorcycle options for the consumers as well.

do fine as far as targeted shares perhaps, but I don't see them up to the challenge of competition from the established players in the off-road racing world.
Don't forget, BMW has been racing Bajas and Enduros, mostly Europe and Africa, for a great many years and have either dominated or been very hard to beat. They do have the experience in this sort of thing. As for MX, all they need to do is create a different state of tune for the drivetrain and chassis. Not exactly rocket science as they have everyone elses bikes to study. As for reliability, name any competition ready bike that's reliable long term. That's why they only get a 30 day defect warranty. I don't think they'll be any worse.

If there is a problem with BMW not being competitive in any event, it'll be the rider, not so much the bike. Sure the bike is new and there will be some learning that will occur the first season or two, but the most talented riders are already taken and they won't leave for BMW, the money from the big 4 is way too good. Look at the gap between the best riders and the next best riders. Huge! Who is next after Carmichael and Stewart? Millsap? Last season James and Ricky were lapping 3rd place.

When BMW makes a SM out of this bike, who will they get to competer against Wood and Henry? Same deal, they're lapping 3rd place sometimes too.

The bike will develop over the next 2 seasons, I'm sure, but getting a competitive rider is the real challenge.

Don't forget, BMW has been racing Bajas and Enduros, mostly Europe and Africa.
The long distance desert racing enduros are a far cry from GNCC, ISDE, WER, etc....let alone MX, SX, and even SM.

I just don't see the bikes being competitive with what is already out there in those categories. They don't have the experience there.

Motorcyclist mag had a story reporting that BMW was looking at Husqvarna too. Dont know how real, they just reported it as a strong rumor, with word that BMW had been over to the husky plant to look it over...

While BMW may be interested in Husqvarna, is Cagiva interested in selling off Husqvarna? It takes two for a sale to go through if Husky is wholly owned by Cagiva and not a public company.

Back