• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The wife's new wheels.....

Mark Eggers

Inactive Member
Reaction score
We finally found the right bike for my wife..... Fuel injected, 650CCs of twin cylinder grunt, beautiful metallic silver paint, Bridgestone radial tires, digital dash with awesome bar graph tachometer, comfy seat and oh yeah, can't forget about that smooth shifting automatic transmission! Of course you can switch to manual shifting and do your best formula 1 imitation with the push button shifter! That's right, we are now owners of the new 2003 Suzuki 650 Burgman. We have put 200 miles on it in 3 days... What a blast to ride and I bet I could keep up with you guys on a typical ride with it! Gonna send her to the MSF in the next few weeks. Get lots of cool new gear and I got a new riding buddy. A more in depth report to follow. Time to get on the Burg and head to the house.

The big-cc scooters like the Bergman look pretty cool, and seem to perform. I was wondering, thought, why not just get a regular moto for that amount of money. But, besides storage capacity, I think Mark hit upon a really compelling reason:

can't forget about that smooth shifting automatic transmission!

Congrats!

Buck,
The Scooter had 753 miles on it when we picked it up and we are the second owner, something like half price of a new one made the decision even easier to make. It makes an awesome commuter bike as I rode it on my Houston commute Monday and Tuesday this week. Its almost 100 miles round trip and the trunk and auto tranny make the stop and go traffic a little more tolarable. This is closer to an automatic motorcycle than it is a scooter in my opinion. I had no problem doing 85-90 in keeping up with the bansai cage drivers on the beltway. Got some fantastically funny double takes as people traveling at highway speeds realized it was a scooter passing them up. The bottom line though, is its a great first bike for my wife as she can concentrate on her riding skills and watching her environment without worrying about clutch and gears. She can shift as she has ridden dirtbikes, but this will be a good starter bike.
In the Cycle World test, editor Edwards compared the Burgman to the Honda SilverWing and said " Where the SilverWing leaves me cold, The Burgman ROCKS!"

Ya know Jim, I thought about that, I bet I could beat some of the GS 500s and such. The auto tranny would allow me to really get on it early in the corners. Hmmmmmm, bet my wife would not like that idea much though....

One more thing..

Be sure your wife knows that she CAN use her scooter when taking the MSF course. She just has to sign a waiver for doing that. That way she can concentrate on riding the bike she will have on the street. :-D

Just and FYI guys. Mark was killed last November.

http://www.twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t=764

:tab This post was about a month before that. Kim still plans to keep the scooter and ride. She will hopefully be doing the MSF course soon. Just wanted to be sure you knew that so you would not be wondering why he has not responded to your posts.

Adios,

Back