• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

High speed wobble

Spider

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Spider, and I'm a curvoholic. :roll:

There's this pair of S turns on 1485 between Conroe and Grangerland that I take on my way to work everday. Recommend speed is 35 mph. I like to take them at 80 mph. 8)

However, my bike does not. Right before the pegs start to touch down, my front wheel starts wobbling rather violently. SO I have to ease up on the gas a teeny tiny bit and slide back over the seat to get more control. Was wondering if anyone else was familiar with this, and if perhaps there is something I could be doing that's causing the problem. Under countersteering perhaps? Its not something I consciously do, but it would be nice to know what's going on. Thanks.

How's your tire pressure/tire condition? Is the front tire cupped? My VF500F used to do that, but I found I was running the pressure a bit low and the front tire had worn a little unevenly because of that. I started checking tire pressure religiously and was able to blast through the corners wobble free. :-D Good luck with your search for the solution. and keep us posted.

Stock Dunlop. Doesn't look cupped at all. 9.7k miles on it. Getting to be about time for a new one I think. Not sure on the tire pressure. Maybe I should get religious. ;) Thanks!

9700 miles :shock: I think it is time for a new front. Also has it always done the wobbling or did the bike use to take the corner cleanly?

Yup that's usually going to be a front tire issue, even if you can't see any cupping or uneven wear.

If it hasn't always done it it's probably time for a new tire, and remember to scuff the new tire in for a bit to get it's traction up before hitting that hard turn with it.

If it's always done it or the new tire doesn't help a steering damper probably would.

Back