• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

First Road trip

Cool report

Howdy,

Well that was entertaining hehe. Last Oct/Nov I was gonna make a run up the West side of the state and end up in Mo. to visit a fellow VFR lister. I made it as far as Mena and it was about 45 F and raining. Now I've ridden in the crap before, but for some reason, this time it was just more than I thought I could take. So I stopped, considered Plan B, running to Kerrville for the HSTA Hill Country Rally, called the wife to let her know I was switching to Plan B and hit the road. I thought it would get nicer and warmer as I got farther South... :lol: For the next nine hours it was 50F and either incredibly foggy or pouring down rain, all the way to Kerrville. And then it rained all weekend :x We just camped out in front of the huge fireplace in the hotel lobby and swapped stories over beers, hehe.

The stopping every hundred miles or so is a great thing to learn. This is really the secret to riding long distance I think. I stop at least every 100 miles and spend a minimum of five minutes off the bike, even if it is just walking around the bike in circles. I can go all day doing that. Longest day was 760 miles to Northeastern Alabama in the rain :lol: Oddly enough, those crappy rides are often the ones that really stand out in your memories. Especially when you share them with friends. It's a real bonding experience.

Don't feel bad about dropping the VFR. My first trip to Hot Springs resulted in some offroad experience :shock: Now we have a blue VFR :lol: Glad yo had a good time. I am heading back up there in May for one of my tours if enough people sign up for it.

Adios,

Yep...it's pretty amazing how much a 5 minute stop can rejuvinate ya. I have a pretty messed up back so a quick stop every hundred miles or so is essential to a tolerable ride for me.

I was hoping to go back to AR before the summer rolls around. The TSBA is going in April and I'll probably do that.

Last HSTA kerrville rally

Wow, Scott, small world of Texas....

I had just joined the HSTA and decided to go to the Kerrville rally, at least for 1 day. Of course, I hit the same drizzle-to-steady-rain that you did. Wound up doing 365 miles, 99% of it wet. My brand-new Aerostich got pretty wet in the crotch, no fun. :angryfir: (since remedied with a lot of seam seal and Scotchguard). I slept like a dead man for something like 14 hours (hopefully I'm not the only one who gets Worn OUT concentrating on riding in inclement weather? :shrug: ). Still, it was kind of fun. Did I mention I started the run on brand new tires (i.e., I basically broke 'em in on the rain)? No worries, though; the D220s were solid as a rock the whole day...

New tires in wet

Howdy,

. Did I mention I started the run on brand new tires (i.e., I basically broke 'em in on the rain)? No worries, though; the D220s were solid as a rock the whole day...

Yeah, I had just put new tires on my bike right before leaving for Ar. I run a Pirelli Dragon GTS front and a BT020 rear. I was really hauling across Texas trying to make Kerrville before it got to dark (didn't make it). The tires felt great the entire time, never a pucker moment the entire time.

I really like the Dragon front, it seems the most resistant to tread cupping, has excellent grip wet or dry, and lasts a long long time. They are about $100-115 depending on where you get them. Well worth the money. The jury is still out on the longevity of the BT020. I have been running the D205 on the rear for a long time and liked them. I have not yet tried the new D220. Thing looks kinds funky :|

Adios,

Back