• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pilot Roads in 120/70-17 sizes backordered everywhere!!

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab If you have been using or are thinking of using the new Pilot Road sport touring tires, the fronts have gone on backorder. VERY FEW retailers actually have any in stock now. Those that do will probably be charging full price for them. Apparently the word got out about what great tires they are and they were all grabbed up. So if you go to order them online, be sure to call first to make sure they actually have them in stock!!

:tab By the way, they really do seem to be nice tires, same for the rear. We got right around 6500 miles out of the rear on Beth's bike and the front is still good without any cupping. I expect we'll get at least another 4-5K out of the front. This is mileage I can live with. The bonus is that they seem to have excellent traction as well! Normally, I would be running a full sport tire on the front but I decided to try these just for grins and I really like them. The lack of cupping is remarkable as EVERY tire I have ever put on the VFR's has cupped, or at least shown signs of starting, by about 6000 miles. Dry/Wet traction is good. Can usually get a pair for right around $200-$220.

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
The lack of cupping is remarkable as EVERY tire I have ever put on the VFR's has cupped

Are you sure it's not due to trailering the bike on the slab and leaning over more on your riding? :wink: :chug: :angel: :mrgreen:

:tab Hehe... It never mattered before and I've been converted to trailering for a while now ;-)

Adios,

You are right about availability of this tire. After calling many local shops and online stores, I finally found a set at tiresunlimited.com. With shipping, a set of 120/70 and 180/55 cost $250. They were ordered and (supposedly) shipped yesterday.

I plan to take the wheels and new tires to Billy at WRW Racing (Cypress, TX) for mounting. Anybody have any experience with them?

Howdy,

:tab Nope. I mount and balance my own. Doesn't take long and the equipment has long since paid for itself. I have heard good things about these guys on the HSN site though.

Adios,

I know the pain. As you already know Scott, my back tire is too close to finishing out to get anymore trips out of it so I wanted to order the Pilot road for the rear to match the front. Back ordered everywhere.

I decided to leave it on back order and went ahead and ordered front/rear Metzler Sportecs for our upcoming trip. I know they'll wear out pretty fast, but it will be my last real good ride for a while so I figured what the heck. Let's splurge for a change. We'll see how they ride and stick in a couple of weeks.

Later,
larrysig.gif

Howdy,

:tab Those are what I was running in Arkansas Larry. I love them but I just cannot afford to go through them so fast. They feel great, have nuetral handling, and seem to stick like glue. The back tire you saw on my bike had only about 2500 miles on it when it went flat :-(

Adios,

Scott,

I have mounted many MC tires over the years. However, most were for dirt use or not high performance street use so fine balancing was not an issue. Also, this was before painted rims. Questions:

1. How do you keep from scratching the paint on the rims with your tire tools?

2. How do you balance them yourself? Do you use a jig with precision bearings and let gravity do the rest?

Steve

1. How do you keep from scratching the paint on the rims with your tire tools?

At first, I scratched them silly :lol: Now that I know better what I am doing, I seldom scratch them. It is all about proper lubrication of the tire so less force is required to get them off the rim and to get the new one on the rim. ALso, proper use of little sheets of rubber that fit between the irons and the rims helps. I was a little careless with my rims when learning because they had already been so trashed by the dealerships I had changing my tires :angryfir: Usually, it was just a scratch in the paint, but they did a few were they actually gouged the metal!! I squeezed them for some free touchup paint :roll: On Beth's bike, I just stripped the rims and it became a moot point.

2. How do you balance them yourself? Do you use a jig with precision bearings and let gravity do the rest?

I have a stand. The crossbar that the tire sits on has bearings in it. It will spin freaking forever if you let it. I can usually get the wheel balanced within a few minutes. It is usually reaaallll close. It's impossible to get it "perfect". However, on street tires that is not really an issue because the tire RPM's aren't really very high, so close enough will do. The front tire is more sensitive to being out of balance than the rear. Paul "Scratch" Massie is coming up Saturday afternoon to change a tire if he gets one in time. You are welcome to come up and check it out.

Adios,

Scott,

I got the old tires off last night using your "little sheets of rubber" trick. Worked great, thanks. If the tires arrive today and I mount them tonight, maybe you can help me balance them Saturday.

Steve

Steve,

:tab I'll be cutting up the huge tree in our front yard Saturday. Scratch is coming up too, we will be doing his rear tire. Give me a call at 936-294-0177 hm or 800-887-1258 wk. If you come up in the afternoon, I'll make slave labor out of you :-P If you come up later (5 or 6) we'll do the tire and you might get dinner ;-)

Adios,

The FedEx man dropped off a set of Pilot Roads today. I will probably mount these tonight so maybe you can help with balancing tomorrow.

I have no problem helping with the tree. In fact, if it is hardwood, I will bring my chainsaw and truck and help "haul off" the wood :wink: (I heat my house with firewood).

If all goes well, I will call you tomorrow for directions to your house.

The actual house (with tree) is at:

1617 Woodland Lane
Huntsville, Tx. 77340
936-295-0187

The town house (temp abode) is:

1922 20th St.
Huntsville, Tx. 77340
936-294-0177

You are free to come and take whatever wood you like. We are getting ready to head over this evening to start on it. We'll probably get back out there tomorrow morning around 10:00am.

Adios,

Back