• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

helmet visors..

Reaction score
im looking for a good tinted visor for my arai helmet, but i dont know what kinda to get..

whats the difference between mirror tinted and iridium, and what is so special about iridium?

if i get a tinted one, will it be hard to see during nighttime cruising?

thanks in advance!

I have a plain tinted visor (no Iridium or mirror finish) on my Arai and I refuse to ride during the day without it. However, when the sun goes down, it is almost impossible to see, so keep the clear one and bring it along if you think there's any chance of getting caught out after dark. I once rode to Houston from the Tourmeister's old house in the dark and cold rain because I couldn't wait out a storm or the dark any longer. Good old Texas weather for you... :wink:

The iridium is a layer on the surface of the visor that scratches very easily. Combine that with the much higher price and you have a lose/lose situation. But **** they look cool!

:tab He speaks!! Welcome back Brian. I was afraid your busy schedule had swallowed up all your surfing time ;-) Cool new avatar by the way. Talimena Skyway?

:tab Get a good tinted visor and go your merry way. Everyone I know that has bought the iridium has scratched it within a week of buying one and then they don't look so cool anymore hehe.

Adios,

I don't know if it's iridium or not, but my tinted visor is "black chrome", kind of the color of a hemetite stone, mirror finish, etc. I have had it all season, with nary a scratch. I prefer it to just a dark tint, I like the optics of it, and, of course, it looks really cool. I second (or third) the "take your clear one along too" sentiment, last weekend I rode up to Warner Springs CA for my last SoCal ride. My intention was to be home well before dark, but I was up there to fly gliders, and, I just kept catching a thermal, and riding it up, so I spent a lot more time in the air than I was expecting to. Long story short, that sun is a lot brighter at 13000 feet. Once I got back on the ground, and started riding home through the moutain canyons, it got dark in one big hurry! I really had a hard time, and, it was certainly a safety issue. Always carry a clear visor, or, at least a pair of clear safety glasses (I use the thin, flexible ones like skydivers wear, they dont take up much space, and work great under a helmet) should you need to raise the visor to see to get home. I say, go ahead and buy the iridium/chrome visor if you like, just take care of it. I figure even if I only get one season out of it, looking cool is worth the extra $20. After all, looking cool is 90% of everything!
TR
Wichita Falls TX

Back