• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Running Problem, Could anyone help me out?

Reaction score
Topic concerns my newly aquired 96 bandit 600 (carb engine)

I left the choke on while riding it and since then... When im driving around it will drive fine to begin with. Then it will, while still giving normal amount of gas, bog down and eventually stall. Then it has problems starting up and even when it does start up... it will only idol and giving it gas will only stall it. Does anyone know how to fix this problem.

My guess is that i flooded the carburator and since i just began riding bikes i know nothing on how to fix the problem.

**I just took it out for a spin after giving it about a days rest it started up fine and ran fine but im still afraid to take it any distance in fear of it bogging down on a highway with construction and barricades... Any ideas how how to ensure that its fixed?**

Sounds like a plugged fuel filter/screen or trash in your main jet in the carb.

You can take everything apart, or just ride it a couple hundred miles locally when you have someone who can come get you if it dies.

Might try putting some fuel system cleaner in.

So your saying keep riding it while its not f-ed up and put some fuel cleaner in there? ok. sounds good. can i use any type of fuel cleaner or does it have to be some special Carb brand? Remember it happened instantly after i left the choke on while riding it for about 20 min.

:tab Would running it with the choke on foul the plugs? If so, pull and clean the plugs. Check the gap on them and then reinstall.

:tab Welcome to the site Ravenzimm. Where are you located?

Denton Texas... would love to go cruisin with yall if you live in the area.
Yea. The spark plugs: my friend thinks that is could be the spark plugs too but i dont understand how it would be the spark plugs if it works sometimes and wouldnt it have problems starting up all the time and not only some of the time?

:tab This is interesting. Snoopster has experienced identical symptoms on her SV650S. As jetted, it will start fine without the choke most of the time. She did not realize this though and was always using the choke. She would be out riding, the bike would lose power and stall, even after it had been running just fine for an hour or more. How that can happen is beyond me...

:tab Once the flow system of fuel/air/spark has been going that long, something has to change to interrupt it. Either the air is not getting through because there is a new obstruction, or the fuel is not getting through, for the same reason, or there is an intermittent electrical issue interferring with the spark. (assuming no mechanical failure).

:tab Unless you drive through water, mud, or ingest a bird or something, I can't imagine the airflow being interrupted that suddently without you realizing the cause.

:tab If you are running at a constant throttle and everything is fine, but then start applying more power and it stutters, then you could be sucking something into the fuel system that would otherwise not be affected by the lower pull at the constant throttle. This is often the case with a dirty fuel filter. I had a Ford Van that would do this. Ran fine until I put the foot down and then it would bog.

:tab Spark issues are like black magic... If the bike ran rich for a long period of time, this causes deposits on the electrodes. The conductivity of the electrodes changes when they get coated and their heat properties change as well. Running an overly rich mixture cools the tip of the plug and can cause sluggish running and plug fouling.

:tab Based on your report of running in an over rich condition, full choke, I would suspect this first. Plugs are cheap. I would pull them and replace them, making sure to get the new ones gapped right. Even if this turns out not to be the problem, new plugs never hurt and it eliminates them as the problem ;-)

Adios,

Getting the plugs out could prove to be a problem for me, for i have never done this before. I have to take off the gas tank... Whew... sounds hard as ****. Maybe i dont have to remove the gas tank, i dont know. does o'reilys carry these spark plugs? if not where do i get them.

:tab Most of the major autoparts stores should have the plugs. Just take an old one in with you. This way they can get the numbers off your plug to make sure you get the right plug. Don't let them try to convince you to you any super duper special plugs. They should only be a few bucks each.

:tab It should not be too hard to get the plugs out if you have the right size plug socket. BEFORE you remove the plugs, pull the plug wire off, then shoot compressed air down around the plug to blow out any loose material or dirt. THEN pull the plugs. You don't want anything getting down in the cylinder. Be very careful when putting the plugs back in so that you don't accidentally crossthread them. I prefer to use the socket with an extension in it for this, but not the actual wrench. I use my hand on the end of the extension. This way it is much easier to feel if they are threading right and should keep you from twisting too hard if they do start to crossthread. Once you are sure they are properly threaded, use the wrench to tighten them. Goto one of the Bandit forums to find the torque value. If you don't have a torque wrench, do it slowly and you will feel the little crush washer give way. Snug it after that but not super hard.

:tab Let us know how it goes ;-)

Sounds like the choke may be stuck in the closed position (ie full on).

I would check the choke cable and make sure it is opening and closing the choke.

If the choke is staying closed it would exhibit the symtoms you describe.

-

bushwhacker said:
Sounds like the choke may be stuck in the closed position (ie full on).

I would check the choke cable and make sure it is opening and closing the choke.

If the choke is staying closed it would exhibit the symtoms you describe.

-

That's what I was thinking, too... :scratch

Getting the tank off is a breeze. Remove the side panels and seat then remove the two bolts that hold the tank on (don't loose the spacers or rubber grommets). Slide the tank back and lift the back edge at the same time. Remove the fuel line, vent and overflow hoses and if you have a gauge, the electrical connection.

The Bandit actually has an enricher everyone refers to as a choke. It will allow it to run very rich if not closed fully. Checking for a stuck choke is easy, look at the carb bank on the left side while working the lever. you should be able to see the slide and plungers move. be sure all 4 get fully seated while the choke is off.

Beyond that, it has to be junk in the carbs or very poorly set carbs that show increasing signs of richness because of the warmer weather.

Make sure the choke isn't sticking, and just ride it for a while near your residence. I supect you'll find that it's okay. I wouldn't start jacking with stuff untill you know you need too.

Nope its not ok. Last night i ran it like i said and it ran fine. This morning i go out there start it up after like 5 min of choke, gas, wait, start. and all it will do is idol. Any time i try and give it gas it either acts like its gonna stall or just stalls. then it will start right back up but only idol. Im header to the parts store to get some more oil to put in it... its pretty low

Ravenzimm said:
Nope its not ok. Last night i ran it like i said and it ran fine. This morning i go out there start it up after like 5 min of choke, gas, wait, start. and all it will do is idol. Any time i try and give it gas it either acts like its gonna stall or just stalls. then it will start right back up but only idol. Im header to the parts store to get some more oil to put in it... its pretty low
Oil isn't the problem. It sounds as though it isn't related to the choke, unless it's stuck open. This is what it would act like if you ride it with the choke (enricher) on. May be just a coincidence. When you say "start it up after like 5 min of choke, gas, wait, start", do you mean you turn the choke on for 5 min before you start it? if so, this doesn't do anything but waste 5 minutes. Turn the choke on, then start, then ease off the choke. My B6 didn't need the choke at all, except for cold mornings, even then it only needed it for less than a minute.

Many things can cause this kind of symtom, not just fuel related; bad CDI, coil, plugs/ wires, vacuum leak, etc. It may be something as simple as the fuel petcock not being turned all the way on. It's hard to say without being there to whitness the conditions/ variables at play as they relate to the symtoms, and the severity of the symtoms.

Thursday went like this. We drove it for 2 1/2 hours and it ran great... it took 2 1/2 hours to get it home from where i bought it. then that night i accidentally left the choke half way onto ride down to blockbuster and back. SINCE THEN it will only run once in a great while and even then it doesnt run like it did before the choke incident. If one of yall live near denton i would be more than greatful for you to come take a looksy at it. and about the choke 5 min thing... No i mean starting it, well, trying to start it with the choke on and fluxuating the choke to try and get it started. Once started i turn the choke off. Could this still be spark plug related... cause why would it start and idol if it was a spark plug problem?

""Any time i try and give it gas it either acts like its gonna stall or just stalls. then it will start right back up but only idol.""

and this is still the problem.

It definitely could have fouled the plugs, but if it's starting that easy, I wouldn't suspect that to be the problem. Did you per chance disconnect anything (ie: vacuum lines at the carbs) or turn the fuel petcock off? Could the main fuel line be pinched or clogged?

How long did you let it idle after closing (turning off) the choke? Can you ease on the throttle?

See this thread:
http://twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t=3773

yea i just dont understand... nothing matches up. the guy i bought it from said that it has never happend to him before. also what else bothers me is that it had no problem riding the 200ish miles back to my house so the problem has to lie with me leaving the choke on for that little 15 min tour to Blockbuster.

Have you tried letting it sit and idle for a few minutes with the choke off?

Yes, no luck... have done that about 4 times and still no luck... which tells me that it isnt a flooded carb... has to be the plugs. regardless of the symptoms...

I hope i dont f&%$ anything up trying to replace them... lol

I use carb cleaner and/ or a soft copper wire brush if it's too bad, otherwise just fold some fine grit sandpaper (around 400 grit) and slide it in the gap a few times. Do they appear black and/or wet?

Back