• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Syn. Oil Users

It's just my opinion, but I'd say that either way your oil will be fine and most likely it will be other things on the bike that cause it to fail. Most bikes are sold because the owner gets bored long before the motor fails.:mrgreen:
I agree.

I'd like to see a comparo though with like 10 different brands of oil, some Dino, some Full Synth in the same model bikes and ran for the equivelent of 100,000 miles and then tear down the engines and measure the engine wear.

I remember reading quite a few years ago when SLICK 50 was popular about a test they did with New York City Taxi cabs.
They took a fleet of Cabs, put SLICK 50 and oil in half and the other half just regular Dino oil. They changed the oil every 3,000 miles on all the cabs and after like 100,000 miles or so tore apart the engines and measured for wear.

There was NO significant wear difference between the cabs with SLICK50 and the Cabs with just Dino oil.

So I personally think that if you use ANY name brand oil and change it regularily you're safe.
Then again, I know a guy who's been using Wally World oil in his vehicles for years and has NEVER had any engine issues. He just changes the oil every 5K.......so maybe it's all about how OFTEN you change the oil and NOT about the brand.

I am still probably going to do some shorter OCI's even with the Amsoil. Yea, its pissing away oil, but I've done alot worse in other areas!! Plus, I dont really subscribe to the idea that synthetic isnt good for a new engine until after a certain point of break in. Just frequent oil change intervals during the break in period.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/NewBike.html#BreakIn

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

We could argue these two views to equal the mega thread, on still not reach a consensus. However, these two sights do bring up some valid points....

For me the million dollar question is....do those "slight" differences mean MORE engine wear and how fast?? What I mean is will I get 100,000 miles out of one motor with one type of oil OR only 60,000 with another??
THAT'S what someone needs to do a study on.

Under the same conditions with the oil changed frequently there would probably be very little difference...But there is a big difference in price...While the difference in the level of additives may appear trivial, the weaker castrol goes for a substantially higher price....As do many other conventional motorcycle oils such as GN4, Suzuki performance 4 ect ect....The main thing is alot of folks feel cozy because it says motorcycle on the label but often they buying an inferior product for a substantially higher price...A VOA such as these settles it.

I agree.

I'd like to see a comparo though with like 10 different brands of oil, some Dino, some Full Synth in the same model bikes and ran for the equivelent of 100,000 miles and then tear down the engines and measure the engine wear.............

That would not be good science using different bikes. You'd actually have to tear them down before starting to measure the bores, the bearings, the cam lobes/bearings, etc etc. There are no two (10) motors which are exactly the same. So you'd have a bunch of variables right away you can't control. Not all engines operate at same temperature. Not all operate at exact same F/A ratios. How would you get all bikes shifted the exact same way? Were all built using the exact same torque wrenches? More variables, so that's why oil tests are actually not done in a motor but under controlled lab conditions which simulate situations where oils must perform.

The 4 primary standardized tests done by independent labs for the API where all variables are removed: the 4-ball wear test, NOACK volatility, pour point, & high temperature sheer.

That would not be good science using different bikes. You'd actually have to tear them down before starting to measure the bores, the bearings, the cam lobes/bearings, etc etc. There are no two (10) motors which are exactly the same. So you'd have a bunch of variables right away you can't control. Not all engines operate at same temperature. Not all operate at exact same F/A ratios. How would you get all bikes shifted the exact same way? Were all built using the exact same torque wrenches? More variables, so that's why oil tests are actually not done in a motor but under controlled lab conditions which simulate situations where oils must perform.

The 4 primary standardized tests done by independent labs for the API where all variables are removed: the 4-ball wear test, NOACK volatility, pour point, & high temperature sheer.

So you don't think the New York Cab test is a good comparo either? Same principles would apply.

Reagarding your sig line.........why will you "never buy another cruiser"??

why will you "never buy another cruiser"??

Duh... because it's a cruiser.......

I had a VC750C Manga back in the mid 90's. I remember riding out to California from Minneapolis one year. I went down to the LA area and found Angeles Crest Highway. For those who don't know, it is a great road in the LA area that was made for motorbikes. Nice twisties, fantastic views, and black pavement as smooth as glass. I take the Magna into the first turn, and scrape the footpeg all the way around the corner. Next corner I take even harder, and I scrape the exhaust pipe. After about 7 corners, and numerous sportbikes passing me, I felt like riding that **** bike off of one of the cliffs.

For me, a motorcycle is all about engineering, and inexpensive performance. The exact opposite of what cruisers stand for.

I don't recall a day I regretted buying the VF750 Mangna instead of the VFR 750 Interceptor. Oh well, live and learn. Much happier with the GSF1250 Bandit now :rider:

The most stress i see heavy duty diesel pickups under is the way they floor them from red light to red light, granted many are hauling and working but for the most part they are blowing around town and on these co.roads WFO, I own a chevy HD gas and i cant afford to drive it at 3.12 a gal. deisel is over 4.00 a gal:giveup: Back to oil, Ive been running mobil1 full syn race. from auto zone at 8.95 qrt. then go to another auto parts to get the wix filter, change by 1700 mi.

Duh... because it's a cruiser.......

I had a VC750C Manga back in the mid 90's. I remember riding out to California from Minneapolis one year. I went down to the LA area and found Angeles Crest Highway. For those who don't know, it is a great road in the LA area that was made for motorbikes. Nice twisties, fantastic views, and black pavement as smooth as glass. I take the Magna into the first turn, and scrape the footpeg all the way around the corner. Next corner I take even harder, and I scrape the exhaust pipe. After about 7 corners, and numerous sportbikes passing me, I felt like riding that **** bike off of one of the cliffs.

For me, a motorcycle is all about engineering, and inexpensive performance. The exact opposite of what cruisers stand for.

I don't recall a day I regretted buying the VF750 Mangna instead of the VFR 750 Interceptor. Oh well, live and learn. Much happier with the GSF1250 Bandit now :rider:

So......you bought a cruiser "thinking" you could ride it like a Sport bike??
That does deserve a "Duh" :mrgreen:

Back