• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

butt pads

D

DucGirl

looking for some recomendations on shorts with padding...

have been looking at the bicycle shorts, and have seen a few that are geared more towards motorcycles.....wondering if anyone has any recomendations...

TIA!

Instead of special shorts, I use an Aerostich sheepskin pad on my seat when planning longer rides. That way it stays on the bike, even when I get off, and I don't look like an 80 year old man who loaded his Depends when walking into the gas station during the ride.

not so interested in a seat pad - it might work for monte's bike, but no so much on my seat

I don't care what I look like walking into the gas station, chances are no one will notice since i will be wearing my riding pants which make my hips look really really wide...lol

just looking for a set of shorts.....anyone?

I've looked at those padded shorts, but they are usually geared towards bicycles with narrow seats. The padding isn't wide enough to cover the spots on my rear that the pressure points of my seat hit. For men, its a different story because they are trying to pad different things.

Deb (Snoopster) rides with shorts like that, I think. Shoot her a PM and see what she says.

Personally, I'm thinking about going the route that Claire did on her Strom - a mini taxi beaded seat that bungees on. She had no complaints all weekend.

Maybe Claire will post a picture of it and tell us where she got it.

I bought a gel pad a couple of weeks ago & it still doesn't do quite what I want it to. I need a better seat but I am not ready to pay for a Russell right now.

I've tried the bicycle shorts - have a pair of old Reeboks - but the padding didn't do much for me. What I look for now with riding shorts (under the Aerostich or leathers) is the strategic placement of seams. If I can get a smooth seat, it's a lot more comfy. I'm looking for some underarmour type shorts now as i think they may work even better.

My theory is that the sore boot-ay comes not from a hard seat, but from inactivity and small seating area that puts a continual pressure on the derriere. I can ride twisties all day and not get sore, but put me on an interstate and in an hour I'm squirming around. So long term relief may come more from reshaping the saddle to give you more of a contact point. Secondary cause of discomfort are the seams (more pressure points) in pants / undies / shorts. Thirdly, a lot of folks swear by baby powder as it keeps the tushie sliding around in the shorts, preventing wrinkles or "stiction". Again, some high tech fabric may address that as well.

A delicate, but relevant subject for sure!

Dunno about padded shorts but synthetic shorts are good for sweaty bums so you don't get a red raw monkey butt. Cotton undies and seams on your buns are a big no-no. :)

There's two things a seat pad does from my experience.

One is to let air under your tush to keep ya cool and dry. Taxi beads, sheepskin, airhawk all do this. But it only really works as well as what your wearing breathes like jeans or mesh gear, goretex like waterproof stuff will limit that effect.

The other is to spread out load over a wider area to eliminate pressure points, sheepskin does this ok, the airhawk pad does it great. I just bought one for the trip down on the dirt bike, it made the differnce between feeling good today and being a cripple for 2 days after I got home.

I use sheepskin and mesh gear in the summer and can ride forever but I have a decent seat on the HD and FZ-1 to start with.

see I know that they make specific shorts for motorcycling.....that are LIKE bicycle shorts....

they are in the parts unlimited catalogue.....

we are looking for them for our ride up to arkansas....it's about 500 miles from here....

and we will be riding quite a bit once up there.....

I'm not about to reshape my saddle (Corbin) just for this one trip....I'm fine on the bike for 300+ miles out on rides - but again, I'm also shifting weight on the seat and moving around, we also stop frequently when in a group....so that's not a problem

my corbin seat is 100x better than the stock one, and the only other option for me is the sargent....and from what I've hard/read my corbin is light years better....

one reason I'm looking for shorts like these is that they typically take into account the fact htat seams are painful....thus no undies...just these shorts....I know that sounds gross to some, but it's just a fact of life when talking about a ride like this IMO

On the baby powder (I've also heard vasoline for off road enduro riders), the pants like these are made with fabrics that keep this in mind....at least I've been led to believe this....

I found a solution this weekend: do the MS150! Now, my FZ6 seat feels like a La-Z-Boy. It's all relative.

Moving around really helps with the bike saddle. I found the trick for me was to move around BEFORE it starts to hurt in any one position.

Hey Jen, the main thing is to dry to keep the rear area dry. I use liberal amounts of baby powder, then put on my underarmor tights for hot weather to allow drying, followed by a decent pair of bicycle shorts. This goes under my riding leathers and I have just completed two rides up to Ark on my Gixxer 1000 which doesn't have the best long distance touring seat on it. In all just under 3000 miles in 5 days of riding with no rear discomfort.

Hope this helps some

Paul

Ahh in that case just get unpadded bike shorts, I use microweave boxer briefs and they work fine.

As long as it doesn't hold moisture like cotton and have fat seams under your rump you'll be fine.

DucGirl said:
looking for some recomendations on shorts with padding...

have been looking at the bicycle shorts, and have seen a few that are geared more towards motorcycles.....wondering if anyone has any recomendations...

TIA!

You might want to look at some of the off-road catalogs. Bob's Cycle and BTO Sports have some of the different brands that would work great for street riding also.

I got a pair a while back at http://www.campmor.com . I haven't worn 'em that much on the street bike. I started racing with John Casley on the WRW Racing NSR this year and John refuses to use a seat pad, just bare butt on fiberglass. I walked bow legged after the three hour I did last season with him. The shorts eliminate that for sure. I don't DARE forget them on race weekends. :lol:

Squeaky said:
Personally, I'm thinking about going the route that Claire did on her Strom - a mini taxi beaded seat that bungees on. She had no complaints all weekend.

I also don't wear regular undies on a ride, I wear lycra/spandex exercise shorts.

The wooden bead seatcover works great for me. However I have a big butt :oops: , so I can't say how well it might work for someone with a skinny butt. The price is right at $19.95 at http://www.whitehorsepress.com. I think why it works so well is that there is some ventilation, plus it gives a bunch of little pressure points that change any time you adjust your buns just a little bit.

I've got a pic of it (hey Chuck check out those saddlebags too, not to hijack this thread or anything) at http://www.geocities.com/yamaha599/Rockport001.jpg

:tab My problem is the issue of small contact patches. I can't seem to spread the load off the bones and it will start to hurt like the dickens in short order. I think for me, the airhawk thing might work better as it would increase the contact area. The beads would probably just push on the same points for me. Oddly, I used to ride road bikes and found my saddle to be exceptionally comfy, it's all about getting it set right so that it spreads the load ;-)

:tab Right now I wear long leggings that are basically really thin polyester. I wear them under my riding pants with no jeans or undies. These help to keep things from sticking. When I wore shorts, the inside of my riding pants would stick to my knee caps and pull on the hair/skin. It was exceptionally uncomfortable. They have leggings that are lightweight for hotter temps and some that are heavy for colder temps. The nice thing about this stuff is it packs VERY small and can be washed int he hotel sink and will be dry by morning if hung up in the hotel room. So I pack two pair and alternate them during a trip. REI and Campmor sell this stuff at very reasonable prices. I have some shirts too that work very well.

Adios,

padded shorts

I have what Icon sells and calls a "save your butt" short,
Icon Field armor short
http://www.newenough.com/armor_icon_field_armor_short_page.htm
It’s made more for ... saving your butt skin in a slide than for padding.
They are a thick ( 1/4" or so ) material, feel like wet suit material it is breathable and has a vented crotch.
They work well during cooler temps., not sure about wearing them during the summer!

I also just bought a pair of Joe rocket Phoenix pants. They have a soft crotch pad built in. I have only worn them twice but did a 1 1/2 and a 2 hour ride. They were great, no soreness at all.

I used the beaded seat under an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad and did 5000 miles on a KLR with a stock seat in 14 days. I will not claim there was no discomfort but I can tell you it was greatly reduced with this set up. The link to Whitehorse Press for the beaded seat has already been posted. Here is a link to Alaska Leather.

http://www.alaskaleather.com/

-

ok - I can't use the beaded seat, or sheep skin seat, or any added cushion on my seat....it's not going to work....period...

thus the reason I specifically stated the question about motorcycle specific padded shorts....

thanks though!

:tab Hmm... What is so unique about your seat that prevents using any of those suggestions? No way to attach them?

:tab I don't think you will have much luck finding any shorts with sufficient padding to make much difference. Unless your seat is just rock hard, it not usually the padding that makes the biggest difference, it is the ability to keep your tush dry and spread the load out. Wicking material will not help if there is no air getting in there to evaporate the moisture. If you cannot add anything externally to the seat to modify it's shape to spread the load, perhaps you can modify the stock seat? This is what I have done with my seat. Got some foam, contact spray, staple gun and electric knife and had at it. Not perfect, but far better than it was!

Adios,

Back