• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What topic should be next?

Which one you would like to see first?

• Motorcycle Maintenance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warranties, Service Plans, Theft Protection, Credit Life

• Motorcycle Insurance

• Parts and Accessories

• Total voters
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Porter
I remember when I started riding motorcycles. I knew nothing about them other than I had to have one. I have been learning more and more about them and the motorcycling business over the years. Heck I'm still learning.

Since our two suspension seminars were a success at Honda of Houston, we have discussed having seminars on other topics to help educate and answer questions for the general motorcycling public. I would like to suggest and ask yall for future discussion topics.

1. Motorcycle Insurance - What coverage is available, how does it work, why you might need different levels of coverage, how are claims handled.

2. Warranties, Service Plans, Theft Protection, Credit Life - How all these back end products work.

3. Motorcycle Maintenance - From why trained professionals should do some parts to why you will need more than just an oil filter and oil to change your oil. Why maintenance should be done on a motorcycle.

4. Parts and Accessories - Why some things are stocked and some not. How orders are placed, delivered, and recieved. Aftermarket parts warranties - who pays for what when a part goes bad. Why mail order or internet deals are not always the great deal that they seem to be.

Each one of these topics can easily take a half hour to a full hour to discuss with questions and answers.

Please feel free to post any additonal topics. We are planning to do seminars on each of these topics. Please let us know which one you would like to see first in the poll above.

Stephen Porter said:
3. Motorcycle Maintenance - From why trained professionals should do some parts to why you will need more than just an oil filter and oil to change your oil.

Must...control...the...urge.... :mrgreen:

Sorry, we have several threads about trained professionals and their skilz. :-?

Unfortunately, I know the heartache and expense of trying to do a valve adjustment myself when a friend said it would be easy. :eek:

I also know that some tasks are tougher than you think depending on the bike. 2 hours to remove turn signals on a CBR600RR. :angryfir:

:tab Let's just say there are some strong opinions held by some members regarding the competency of many of the dealership mechanics and let it go at that ;-) This issue is not what this thread is about.

txmedic said:
Stephen Porter said:
3. Motorcycle Maintenance - From why trained professionals should do some parts to why you will need more than just an oil filter and oil to change your oil.

Must...control...the...urge.... :mrgreen:

Sorry, we have several threads about trained professionals and their skilz. :-?

All I can say is I'll stand by my work. If I screw up, tell me and I'll make it right.

I won't sell something somebody don't need.

Now if only the shop was open so I could earn your business. :angryfir:

I'm sure there are good mechanics and honest service managers who have a very loyal following, and I won't bore anyone with my numerous horror stories here locally. They just don't seem to work at any of the dealerships I buy from.

I just never have a warm felling that indicates they have my satisfaction at heart. I do know two mechanics that I would trust without question. One owns an independent shop, the other works for a dealership that I have yet to purchase a bike from because of their sales manager. I spend my money where I am shown loyalty, and return the favor (loyalty) frequently. In Austin it seems to be about maximizing the one time profit, not happy, repeat customers.

Where is my dealer service department soap box again?

I think most everyone here knows my position on dealer service departments. However, I voted on the maintenance thingy, because...

Stephen, if I might be so bold as to speak for a few, I believe the thought of "maintenance" that most people are interested in is of the "do-it-yourself" variety.

Stephen, I would like to personally thank you and HOH for doing this. It speaks volumes of your character and HOH’s commitment to their customers.

Thanks
:mrgreen:

Chris Donnelly said:
Stephen, if I might be so bold as to speak for a few, I believe the thought of "maintenance" that most people are interested in is of the "do-it-yourself" variety.

Stephen, I would like to personally thank you and HOH for doing this. It speaks volumes of your character and HOH’s commitment to their customers.
YEAH! What he said!
:clap

I'll sidestep the debate out of respect for the esteemed gentleman from Houston, Mr. Porter (feeling Senatorial tonight) and vote for maintenance. Although I'd aim low, checking, cleaning and lubing a chain, checking fluids, checking air, etc...

We have a mutual acquaintance and I ended up with his bike. This is a guy that used to maintain chemical plants, an accomplished machinist and a servicable gunsmith. His bike had a chain almost loose enough to pull it off the sprocket by hand...enough crud in the countershaft cover that the chain had burrowed a trough through it and now if you lubed the chain it just replenished the crud!

A very basic class would have a place, and just advertise it as such...

Stephen, just want to thank you & HofH for putting on the suspension seminar over the weekend. It was good info on a subject that I knew very little about.

I've personally seen brake pads installed backwards with the steel toward the rotor. I've seen a drain plug stripped because the owner was turning the wrong way and couldn't figure out why it was so "tight." On another list, a member left a rag in the engine after adjusting his own valves and lost an engine. I could go on and on about people costing themselves plenty doing it themselves so it'll be done "right." As bad as the mechanics are in some service departments, I think many owners can be much, much worse and have no business owning tools.

I'd vote for maintenance simply because of the number of obviously low tires I saw this weekend. Don't these people own tire pressure guages? You won't cover more than the basics in 30 minutes, but if you can just get 'em to check their tires every now and then it's worth it. :-?

Maintainence would be a good room to have here.

Despite how some folks feel about dealership service departments or shops in general. Between the folks here I'm certain if nobody knows the answer to a queston, we will be able to find it.

I for one am willing to share what I know on the subject.

:chug:

Back